Your second week in Uni

For questions and suggestions about what to do or train next.
Forum rules
This forum can be viewed by the public.
Waruiru

Your second week in Uni

Post by Waruiru »

So you have been at Eve Uni a week and have the new player stuff sorted out. Now what?

Here is my opinion on how to get the most out of your time. Opinions will vary, use your personal judgment.

1. Get on Coms! Seriously, get on Mumble and talk. Eve is a social game and the most fun you will have is playing with other people. Talk to them. Sure, some of them have been around for ever and know a lot. They might seem intimidating. Just remember they choose to be in a corp that has lots of new players who have questions. They want to hear from you.

2. Ask questions! We know you don’t know. This is a school after all. So ask. And use Coms to do it. Yes, our Wiki is amazing and yes, you need to read a lot. But also talk to people. Yes, sometimes the answer will be “Gimme a minute. Ok, read the link I put in fleet.” But they will have given you the right information and you can then read it and ask “Ok, I get that, but what about the part that says….”

3. Engage Thinking V! You will soon discover that 99% of the time, the answer is “It depends.” Eve is very complex and, like life, there is rarely only one correct answer. So be ready for complex answers and be ready to clarify your question. “What is the best ratting ship?” It depends on your skills. “Ok, what is the best ratting ship for a new player who can only fly cruisers?” It depends where you are. “Ok, what is the best ship for a new player who can only fly cruisers in Amy?”

4. Level 3 skills are fine! Sure, Level 4 is better, but for most things, Level 3 is enough to try it out and see if you like it. If you do, great, train it more. If you don’t like it, great, go try something else. Try new stuff, don’t worry if you are not perfect.

5. Failure is fun! Don’t sweat messing up or losing a ship. Really. The most memorable things I have done and the most laughter I have had was when things went terribly wrong. Do I remember all the harvester fleets where things went smoothly? Nope. Do I still smile when I remember that time I took the wrong fit out to a big fight? Oh yes! Remember the Beerfish!

6. Last point. What is the 1% of the time that the answer is not “It Depends?” Easy. What is the best ship? Friendship. Really. Get on Coms, talk to people, get to know them, fly with them and have fun.
Eitch Q'Lancie

Re: Your second week in Uni

Post by Eitch Q'Lancie »

I found this image very useful for new players like me :D

https://eve-guides.fr/images/wtd.jpg
Meyanni Travers

Re: Your second week in Uni

Post by Meyanni Travers »

Eitch Q'Lancie wrote:I found this image very useful for new players like me :D

https://eve-guides.fr/images/wtd.jpg
Thanks, that is a great image. And my desktop now.

Also, I strive to follow Rule 5 as much as possible, and usually succeed. In following the rule, that is, not in the outcome.