Optimizing L4 missions.

Forum rules
Discussions about EVE University should go in the E-Uni General Discussion subforum. If you have questions about joining EVE University, please contact our Personnel Department.
<<

Royce007

Portrait

Post 2020.08.02 13:43

Optimizing L4 missions.

Hi,
Title says it all.
I have a Rattlesnake, a noctis, couple of MTUs and enough standings to do L4s in Amy.

I've read a little about how to Jump Kite but haven't really understood it well enough. So the question is how can one optimize running multiple L4s back to back and maximize profit. Like should I salvage after finishing missions for the day or after a certain number of missions; is salvaging ultimately worth it; and stuff like that.

Also, should I try to have multiple L4 agents or one is good enough. And a final question, Is there any single agent/corp that has the best LP store?

Also, what ships and fits do you use for L4s.

This thread might serve as an introduction to running missions for newbros so tell your L4 stories :)

Thanks in advance.
<<

Bunny Crusher

Portrait

Post 2020.08.02 16:56

Re: Optimizing L4 missions.

Howdy!

I believe this is going to vary a bit depending on your preferred weapons / ship type. Personally I like blasters and mobility; and I'll run missions and drop MTU's until just a little bit before the 2 hour wreck timer (when they auto-despawn). Then I'll dock up grab a salvager and collect all the winnings. Garaun bank has 2 L4 agents in amy, I believe they are the most commonly used. and I use both as needed; because of declining empire or 4+ jump missions.

Before I used blasters with T2, I started with a Rail / Armor Mega.
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
<<

Gant Edron

Portrait

Post 2020.08.04 21:36

I'm currently running in a Rattlesnake also and optimizing the fit and skills as u go along. Previously a lot of experience running L4's

As said before, it will depend a lot on the way you're fit, and the run of luck you're getting on the missions received. Over time you'll start to get a feel for each of the possible missions you can pull - and how quickly you can clear them. Some will not be that worthwhile to salvage frankly - but others you can expect to double your ISK take by sparing 10mins to salvage them.

Specifically for the rattlesnake, jump kiting is definitely doable. Hop into a pocket, do some damage and engage you MJD in a direction which makes the most sense and puts the bulk of your enemies within your optimal engagement window. I'd expect that to be 65-80km with standard skills and fits. You then have the length of time for the MJD to respool where you can rep your shields, drop some sentry drones, orbit them, and start to knock rats out the sky. Once the MJD has respooled - take a view as to whether you can sit and plink away some more, or whether it makes sense to move to the next gate - generally dependents on speed/distance and the amount of DPS you're likely to have to tank on the way there still. After the jump, and as rats get closer, you swap to your heavies and let them rip as you slowboat to the next gate.

Generally I try and string together 3-4 missions prior to salvaging - feel free to miss some of the pockets if they nly have a handful of smaller wrecks to speed up the cleanup. Position the noc where the mission agent lives so you're not losing time warping around the system.

When it comes to mission selection, prioritize things in the same system - jumping in a battleship is slow if you have to move multiple systems. With two agents in Amy you have options to decline without a standings hit. Even then, you can get locked out - and then have to balance a standings hit vs. downtime mission running. It's also a good time to fleet up with others if you are locked out. You'll get fewer rewards, but can clear the missions in ~60% of the time which just about makes up for it as well as helping others get standings up along the way.

Also remember the additional LP and storyline rewards. Every 16 missions will net you another +4 implant to sell or use, and the LP can easily be converted for use or priced up using tools like Fuzzworks. Make sure you get the social skills up to L4 also if your getting serious about mission running. The additional LP and ISK rewards make it worthwhile in the long run.
<<

Royce007

Portrait

Post 2020.08.05 03:43

Thanks to both of you. As I am still new to the game, this was a rather big investment of mine, but I think doing L4s is definitely something I can grind.
I'll try to experiment with some fittings and I'll do some actual runs and see how it goes.

Now I saw that with the rattlesnake, the most popular fits include cruise missiles, sentry drones and Heavy drones. So I was wondering if I would face problems against smaller ships.
<<

Bunny Crusher

Portrait

Post 2020.08.05 20:14

when using large weapons vs small targets, you just need a low transversal.

If something is flying straight at you it's easier to hit. it's one of the benefits to using the mjd or getting out to distance.

If you can't get range; a stasis webbifier will do the trick. slows down their speed by a significant amount.
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
<<

Royce007

Portrait

Post 2020.08.06 04:39

Ah okay got it. Thanks. If anything gets too close micro jump and get range.
<<

Gant Edron

Portrait

Post 2020.08.06 08:50

Target painters are also pretty valuable to help both the missiles and drones hit the smaller targets harder. Alongside the MJD to give range and whittle the numbers down, I have very few issues getting heavies to land on frigates when a few stragglers get close and orbit <10km. You can also change up between Gardes and Wardens to benefit from their respective Short/Long range suitability.

Return to EVE Discussion