COVID-19

Forum rules
EVE University's usual communications rules apply, so ensure that any topics are appropriate for a family-friendly environment.
<<

Shauny Tsero

Portrait

Campus Manager
Campus Manager

Post 2020.03.16 17:10

COVID-19

So though EVE Online is a virtual game and there's no physical interact and thus no need to cancel any of our activities I personally feel we should do our part to help reduce the risk to yourselves and others.

So the first and basic advice is to ensure you keep up good personal hygiene and follow these 3 simple tips.

Also consider this:

Key symptoms are:

Also consider your mental health too, here is some advice seen on Twitter:

Each country has their own policies and procedures so this will not cover what to do when you become ill. The only general advice given globally, I believe, is self-isolation. The below advice is taken from BBC News and some countries may be different. Other advice to give is keep up-to-date with your country's government's policies and procedures for dealing with the virus.

What is self-isolation?
Self-isolation means cutting yourself off from the rest of the world. You need to stay at home, not go to work, school or other public places, and avoid public transport or taxis. "Common-sense" steps include staying in a well-ventilated room with a window that can be opened and keeping away from other people in your home. Ask for help if you need groceries, other shopping or medication. It's OK to have friends, family or delivery drivers drop off supplies to get you through. But you shouldn't have any visitors. You can have deliveries left on the doorstep.

Do I need to self-isolate?
Everyone with flu-like symptoms - defined as a fever of above 37.8C or a persistent cough - is being asked to stay at home for 14 days. Anyone who has travelled to an affected area, or who has been in close contact with an infected person, to self-isolate for 14 days. Spending 15 minutes within 2m (6ft) of someone with the virus, or having face-to-face contact, is judged as close contact and a significant risk.

What if someone self-isolating shares a home?
If you are self-isolating and share a kitchen, try to avoid using it when other people are there and take your meals back to your room to eat. Clean all the surfaces at home with household cleaning products daily. Although you might not be able to entirely separate yourself from family members or flatmates, the advice is to limit contact as much as possible.

If possible stay at least 2m (6ft) from other people you live with and sleep alone. Keep away from vulnerable people. People living with someone in isolation should wash their hands often, using soap and water for at least 20 seconds - especially after coming into contact with them.

You shouldn't share towels, toiletries or other household items with someone in isolation and they should have a separate bathroom. If that is not possible, the isolated person should use the bathroom last, cleaning it thoroughly afterwards if they are able. Any rubbish that the isolated person has been in contact with should be double-bagged and kept.

Finally, specific to EVE University, some may become ill and not able to get online, please consider this could cause delays in normal operations and please be patient. If you have heard nothing after 1 week (7 days) then please do contact the department's management team, or Director if necessary. For those in staff positions please do try to inform your managers know ASAP so they are aware.

LSC Manager, Orientation Officer, Titles Officer, TA, Ensign, Former Student Advocate, Former Mentor Manager
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

ImageImage ImageImage ImageImageImage
<<

Mike Kingswell

Portrait

Assistant Teaching Manager

Post 2020.03.16 20:57

Re: COVID-19

This write-up is more informative than 95% of the stuff one can read "out there".
Also:
Do not forget that (self-)quarantine can affect your mental health due to lack of social interation with others. We are herd animals.
Call a friend or relative if you feel down or a tad lonely. Call your grandma/grandpa/older relative and have a chat! Hop in mumble and partake in some banter (even if it ends up in bountying me)!

X up for fleet: Just because you feel alone does not mean you are alone!
Image Image
<<

London 1941

Portrait

Post 2020.03.17 00:00

ppp
Last edited by London 1941 on 2020.03.17 00:08, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

If I had my life to live over, I'd live over a saloon. W.C.Fields.
<<

London 1941

Portrait

Post 2020.03.17 00:05

London 1941 wrote:I manage care coordination data and applications for the infirm, frail, elderly for several U S states including New York. I am an epidemiologist by trade and the frail and elderly are my baileywick.

Our little company coordinates care to keep people in their homes as long as possible because in the end, most of us will require skilled nursing care.

Our aging population are fearful and lonely. I beg you: call Uncle Joe, Aunt Willy. Let them know you are thinking of them. They don't need to hear that you are "concerned." They are concerned. They need to hear you care about them and you were thinking of them.

Oh, and call your mother. She is here beside me ( or one a lot like her) and she is worried. Get up at 3 AM sort of worried. Call her , too.
ImageImage

If I had my life to live over, I'd live over a saloon. W.C.Fields.
<<

Seamus Donohue

Portrait

Post 2020.03.20 11:04

I just read about how badly the UK government is botching the Coronavirus response. Laura and all other Unistas based in the UK, please be safe.

As for myself, I'm sheltering in place. My Dad, brothers, and I don't have any symptoms, thankfully. (Unfortunately, that only means we know we definitely weren't infected as of March 6.)
<<

Laura Karpinski

Portrait

Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post 2020.03.20 14:18

As Shauny says, this stuff can be really tough on people's mental health, especially people who don't have access to a support network right now, or who are isolated from their normal network.

There's nothing wrong with acknowledging you are struggling. If you need to chat to someone just to stave off the boredom, I'm around, and so are lots of other people.

Seamus Donohue wrote:I just read about how badly the UK government is botching the Coronavirus response. Laura and all other Unistas based in the UK, please be safe.

As for myself, I'm sheltering in place. My Dad, brothers, and I don't have any symptoms, thankfully. (Unfortunately, that only means we know we definitely weren't infected as of March 6.)

Thanks, Seamus. I'm self isolating at the moment and working from home. Keep safe.
CEO of EVE University
<<

Shauny Tsero

Portrait

Campus Manager
Campus Manager

Post 2020.03.21 09:58

Yeah Westminister has been botching some stuff but I'm still going out and doing stuff like shopping etc. If I get it then yes will self isolate but otherwise life must continue.

For those that are struggling with mental health also remember there is Broadcast for Reps community group that offer help and services for all capsuleers. Details can be found here https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Broadcast_4_Reps

LSC Manager, Orientation Officer, Titles Officer, TA, Ensign, Former Student Advocate, Former Mentor Manager
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

<<

Vorkan Dosja

Portrait

Post 2020.03.25 17:39

On another quarantine tangent: GO OUTSIDE! Go garden in your yard, go hang around your firepit in the evening, go to the state park and hike (Assuming you're not in a complete lock down). Take your dog for a walk. Take your guinea pig for a walk! Don't just stay cooped up in your house slowly going insane.
NPSI Events Staff Officer
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
<<

Shauny Tsero

Portrait

Campus Manager
Campus Manager

Post 2020.03.25 18:35

Vorkan Dosja wrote:On another quarantine tangent: GO OUTSIDE! Go garden in your yard, go hang around your firepit in the evening, go to the state park and hike (Assuming you're not in a complete lock down). Take your dog for a walk. Take your guinea pig for a walk! Don't just stay cooped up in your house slowly going insane.

In the UK we are under lockdown, but we can go out for 1 lot of exercise a day.

<<

Ernesto Guevarti

Portrait

Post 2020.03.25 18:46

Vorkan Dosja wrote:... go to the state park and hike ...

Possible not the best suggestion I've seen, considering it leads to things like this
Daniel Wittaker wrote:You could have a bright career ahead of you in Goonforums. That's some upvote-quality Helldump posting. Well done, sir.
<<

Vorkan Dosja

Portrait

Post 2020.03.25 20:06

Ernesto Guevarti wrote:
Vorkan Dosja wrote:... go to the state park and hike ...

Possible not the best suggestion I've seen, considering it leads to things like this

Leave it to people to screw up the simple concept of keeping your distance from each other... in the wild lol
NPSI Events Staff Officer
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Return to General Chat & Discussion