Lost in Space

Forum rules
This forum can be viewed by the public.
<<

Chol Airth

Portrait

Post 2019.06.12 08:40

Lost in Space

Hello my fellow capsuleers! I have just started out in the world of EVE and I am quite literally lost. (BEWARE: Wall of text ahead!)

EVE is rather complex, with all the possible paths one could take and I think it's great to have people and organizations (such as EVE-UNI) to help figure out and guide new players to areas they would most likely find fun in. I don't think I'm there just yet, seeing as I have joined but a few weeks ago, but I have started figuring out what I would like to do. First of all, I have formed an opinion, that only immaterial things (such as skills you learn on the character, skills you as a player acquire, as well as your relations to other players) have any real value in this game and are indisposable. Everything else is disposable, including your ships, your money, even your body.

Therefore, I have started looking into what I want to do in EVE and how I want to progress in areas above. Having said that, my first steps are definitely going to involve PvP, as I hear this is one of basic premises of EVE and offers a great deal of things to learn (in terms of mechanics). In addition to that, I have also decided to invest into mining, as this activity is low risk-low reward but with relatively stable income ( I need to be able to afford losing ships, right?) that I can do even when I am in EVE class or doing something IRL.

So, taking this into account, I have decided to base my skill training plan on BLAP, Mining Primer and the "Magic 14", at least for few coming months. I have currently leveld up the majority of DD BLAP and am working on Logi BLAP skills (some two weeks away from completing the training). After that, I have decided to max out the "Magic 14" (have them at level 4 now, so the process of maxing these out is the thing that will take some months to complete), mixed with mining skills and Veldspar/Scordite reporcessing and Mining Barge.

So here are my first two questions. Is this a good plan to follow through, or should I rather focus on more specific areas (and if so, what are those)? If this is indeed a good path to take for a new player, would you advise neural remapping into balanced Intelligence and Memory (I see the majority of skills I am training will take either one of these two and sometimes even both)?

Furthermore, I have done some research on Campuses, that are part of EVE-Uni and I'm thinking it might be a good idea to go through all of them. I mean, with so many activities every campus offers, surely I'll be able to find something I would want to specialize in first, right? The skills that I am currently setting up seem to be a starting point for HSC, where I am currently sitting at. However, once I've had my fill of adventures in Hi-Sec space, I was thinking of moving on to AMC (for some lessons in mining) and onwards to LSC.

Now, I realize rules of engagement are completely different in Low-Sec space and this is where I am still debating on what exactly I should do regarding the skill plan. I know two things for certain. I don't see myself flying anything above the Battleship anytime soon and I don't see myself running a corporation (this one is likely to fall under "never" category). This reasoning has already had me drop a lot of skills for Capitals and Corporation Management. Couple that with skills for stuff like Triglavian Ships and T3 Cruisers, I realize I have restricted my pool of options by around a half. But I am still unsure on how exactly to proceed. Should I go with BLAP and expand upon existing skills that I am currently training for T1 ships? Should I start out with Exploration skills at this point? Or should I dive deeper into Industry? What would you suggest as an optimal skill plan for someone who aims to visit all campuses and experience what they have to offer?

Thanks for putting up with me and I am looking forward to your opinions and suggestions!

Cheers,
Chol
<<

Falling Snow KumaMoto

Portrait

Post 2019.06.12 14:06

Re: Lost in Space

I respond with my own wall:

For me, this is one of the things that makes Eve such an amazing and addictive game. You have so many choices! First suggestion: enjoy that feeling. It is rare in a video game, to say nothing of real life.

I did sorta what you are proposing to do. I trained some basic skills with the balanced starting remap: first Cybernetics so I could start using +3 training implants (https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/The_%2B3 ... ts_Program); then the spaceship/gunnery/missiles (which are Perception/Willpower) skills under BLAP towards my https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/First_BLAP_Cruiser and crucially to be able to participate non-terribly in most EUni fleets, then finally a few oddballs like Social, Security Connections, Negotiation, Diplomacy, Infomorph stuff, leadership (to 3), even contracting (a level or two in that is surprisingly useful). I made sure I could explore in a Heron and at least sit in an empty Procurer hull before remapping, so I could try these out and see if they were fun activities.

Then I mapped Int/mem to go Magic 14 myself to oblivion, adding a few key support skills (looking at you, Energy Grid Upgrades / Electronics Upgrades), plus the rest of the BLAP skills. I did this because it's more efficient in terms of real-life time training your skillpoints, but also because I know I would be tempted to ship up into cruisers, battlecruisers, omg BATTLESHIPS!! But without the bones in the support skills, to say nothing of actual player know-how, I would just lose those big ships to stupidity.

It has worked ok for me so far. I wanted to do mining and industry (ALL int/mem skills), so I am still on that first remap, though I'm finally coming towards the end of it - Rockets 2 here I come! I admit there were frustrating times like when Psychotic would take out a Moa fleet and there was no way in Scranton (aka hell) that I could possibly fly any of those ships. I found myself making a combat-related alt who followed the same first-month training regime and then remapped Per/Will, so I could run security missions well, and take part in Eve Online's occasional special event. That alt was awful at PvP due in part to poor support skills, who knew? :)

That's not advice as much as it is a picture of what your idea may be like to live through. But if you like flying Logi or Ewar (both really fun for me), you're in luck. Many of the logi- and ewar-related skills are Int/Mem, so as long as you have the spaceship command skills lined up (cruisers and frigates, mostly), you can happily make a delicious mining / logi / reprocessing / ewar lasagna of a skill plan, and certainly be welcomed on almost any EUni fleet. If I had to do it again, I would hold off on Industry on my first character, because it is a very long train if you want to build things beyond Fusion S ammo, and I was simply lucky because it turned out I really enjoyed industry.
ImageImage Image Image
<<

Edhin Delphiki

Portrait

Post 2019.06.12 17:33

Chol,
Each of the skill plans you had mentioned (BLAP, Magic 14, and Basic Mining) are solidly thought out. Magic 14 does open up many ship/module opportunities.

You mentioned taking advantage of more than one campus. I would recommend the Cross Campus Initiative then. This program could inspire you to see what you truly are interested in skill planning for and get exposed to many players of extraordinary levels of experience.

You do need to make ISK to afford your goals. So, you need to figure out how to put in some sort of priority that fits your immediate goals, so your plan can focus on the skills that help with your future ship fits. This situation may not be ideal for some as this could make remapping a little more challenging. I am a fan of support skills to ensure lower risk fits and situations. I also do research into what I think may be worth investing skill points into that first sounds fun and then if it can offer me a steady income. In many cases, it is one and the same.

Taking advantage of programs like +3 Implants, Skill Book Program, etc. can help you offset things as you progress.

You could also apply for a Mentor to help you plan as well (if you qualify).

These are only the initial ideas that I had at the top of my head.

Warm Regards,
Edhin
<<

Shauny Tsero

Portrait

Assistant Mentor Manager
Assistant Mentor Manager

Post 2019.06.12 18:49

Hello

Yeah like Edhin said maybe consider requesting a mentor. Also jump into the Questions (EVE University) and (Orientation (EVE University) chat channels to see about getting some help and/or ask questions whilst in-game.
Assistant Mentor Manager, Orientation Officer, Titles Officer, TA, Ensign, Former Student Advocate
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

ImageImage ImageImage ImageImage
<<

Chol Airth

Portrait

Post 2019.06.14 08:16

Thanks a lot for your input guys! I have already taken some of the steps you have suggested (like the +3 Implant program) and I also plan on going for that sweet BLAP Cruiser! I am also very happy to hear the skill plan I had "thought out" (really, everything was there already :D ) is solid! I still have some days before my BLAP skills for ship hulls are done training, so I will hold on with my remap until then.

Now, a few things you have mentioned really got me thinking:

I did this because it's more efficient in terms of real-life time training your skillpoints, but also because I know I would be tempted to ship up into cruisers, battlecruisers, omg BATTLESHIPS!! But without the bones in the support skills, to say nothing of actual player know-how, I would just lose those big ships to stupidity.

Yeah, I was going more along lines of T2 hulls for Frigates/Destroyers/Cruisers, than going with Battlecruisers and Battleships. As I understand it, these ships are getting more pricy as you progress the tree and, honestly, it seems contraproductive to fly something you can't afford to lose (which I will, without proper RL skills in EVE combat).

It has worked ok for me so far. I wanted to do mining and industry (ALL int/mem skills), so I am still on that first remap, though I'm finally coming towards the end of it - Rockets 2 here I come!

Well then, that's great to know! That's preciesly the reason why I thought holding off remapping to INT/MEM until BLAP skill plan is complete might be a good idea! And precisely why I was conflicted with the skill plan that I have put out. I wanted to focus on flying T2 hulls before progressing on better ships, partly because these big ships don't really seem inconspicuous. Pair that with my lack of PvP skills (RL ones) and I am just going to end up losing a ship. Which is why I don't really wanna commit to anything above Cruisers yet. That still leaves the problem about those T2 hulls, though, as they also require Willpower and Perception, IIRC. Either way, seems like one of those EITHER-OR decisions you need to make ever-so-often IRL. Will have to think about it some more, either way!

That's not advice as much as it is a picture of what your idea may be like to live through. But if you like flying Logi or Ewar (both really fun for me), you're in luck. Many of the logi- and ewar-related skills are Int/Mem, so as long as you have the spaceship command skills lined up (cruisers and frigates, mostly), you can happily make a delicious mining / logi / reprocessing / ewar lasagna of a skill plan, and certainly be welcomed on almost any EUni fleet. If I had to do it again, I would hold off on Industry on my first character, because it is a very long train if you want to build things beyond Fusion S ammo, and I was simply lucky because it turned out I really enjoyed industry.

That's a solid advice. As I understand it, Tackling/EWAR are preffered roles for new players, right? Seems like a great way to set oneself up for learning about PvP combat (I also heard relationship Cruisers-Battlecruisers is the same thing as Frigates-Destroyers, just bigger). And since I plan on focusing AMC activities after the HSC anyway, the follow-up skill plan is pretty clear. And thanks for the info on Industry! I aim to develop basic skills for the Mining Barge for now and I don't know if that's enough to really try this area out. However, I am under impression, that Industry is one of those things you want to hold off until after you aquaint yourself with basic mechanics of the game. Will probably wait with it until I move on to NULL-SEC.

You do need to make ISK to afford your goals. So, you need to figure out how to put in some sort of priority that fits your immediate goals, so your plan can focus on the skills that help with your future ship fits. This situation may not be ideal for some as this could make remapping a little more challenging. I am a fan of support skills to ensure lower risk fits and situations. I also do research into what I think may be worth investing skill points into that first sounds fun and then if it can offer me a steady income. In many cases, it is one and the same.

Yes, my thoughts exactly. I want to try out as many things I can, but I realized over time, that you can't really try everything out properly if you don't have the skills. I find PvP to be essential in EVE (and it looks fun!), while mining really seems to be an activity you can do, without the need to be constantly on the alert, which I think is great for relaxing while I do RL stuff on the PC. It may not bring as much ISK as, say Exploration, but I don't really care about getting enormous amounts of ISK at this point, seeing as I intend to fly sub-Battlecruiser ships anyway. And besides, patience is the key here. You want to obtain information and learn new things steadily, not get it all immediately, am I right?

You mentioned taking advantage of more than one campus. I would recommend the Cross Campus Initiative then.

Yeah, as I see it, E-UNI has things to teach in almost all aspects of the game (if not all). I'm keeping an open mind towards the game and I see there are skills one could learn here and still apply them IRL (which is the most bad-ass thing I can think of). That's why I want to try a little bit of everything.
Cross Campus Inititative did pique my interest from the moment I joined, but I plan on doing the tour a bit longer than a year, which is why I'm not sure if this is presently an ideal thing for me to do. But I definitely plan on doing it at some point in time. Maybe even as my own little "graduation project".

You could also apply for a Mentor to help you plan as well (if you qualify).

Yeah I will definitely think about that!

Also jump into the Questions (EVE University) and (Orientation (EVE University) chat channels to see about getting some help and/or ask questions whilst in-game.

This is a good piece of information to have. Already jumped into Orientation channel, but figured out it would probably be a tedious thing to ask and answer question to my skill plan there. I will definitely check out the Questions channel!

Thanks guys!
<<

Shauny Tsero

Portrait

Assistant Mentor Manager
Assistant Mentor Manager

Post 2019.06.14 08:49

Chol Airth wrote:
Also jump into the Questions (EVE University) and (Orientation (EVE University) chat channels to see about getting some help and/or ask questions whilst in-game.

This is a good piece of information to have. Already jumped into Orientation channel, but figured out it would probably be a tedious thing to ask and answer question to my skill plan there. I will definitely check out the Questions channel!

Thanks guys!

Use the Orientation channel for the more in-depth stuff and needs discussion.
Assistant Mentor Manager, Orientation Officer, Titles Officer, TA, Ensign, Former Student Advocate
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

ImageImage ImageImage ImageImage

Return to What Next?