[RECURRING CLASS] Fitting Workshop - Roughly every fortnight

Forum rules
All class announcements should be posted in the following format: (CLASS) YYYY-MM-DD Name of the class. Once the class is finished please alter the title to say (COMPLETED). If you are interested in running a class, contact our Teaching Department.
<<

Kyle Hargrove

Portrait

Post 2019.03.08 09:06

[RECURRING CLASS] Fitting Workshop - Roughly every fortnight

Many EVE players think that ship fitting is a game of its own. Well, I agree. Fitting is complex, but also stimulating, nuanced and just so much fun if you're anything like me. And chances are that if you're playing EVE Online, you're at least somewhat like me. Sorry about that.

This is not your run-of-the-mill class.

In this class, we only have a short 10-minute "lecture". In the segment, I present one advanced concept involving ship fitting (which one? you'll need to attend: it changes every time ;) ).

Then, the class becomes much more free-form: I will (hopefully) be joined by a co-instructor, and we'll propose you some "fitting challenges" to flex your theorycrafting muscles.

Some fitting challenges are more like "exercises", where you need to find the solution to a problem that we'll give. The solution might be to use good fitting practices... Or totally unorthodox ones.

Most challenges, however, are in the form of "how would you solve this problem?". Here, the goal is just to come up with something, and discuss why and how you got to that choice. We all learn from each other, and usually even me and the other instructors gain new knowledge!

How many challenges we'll do is up to you and how the discussion goes, but usually we do five or six, and we have a library of more than 40 (and growing!). You can also bring your own fitting challenge that we'll add to the library, so I guarantee that this won't be repetitive...

Be advised: This is an advanced class, and one that relies heavily on direct participation of attendees. It is not the goal of this class to teach you how to fit your shiny new ship, at least not directly. If you just want to listen in, you're more than welcome, but I encourage you to try and participate. The environment will be very inclusive, and if you were to just listen, you'd mostly hear the sound of churnin' neurons while people are fiddling on PyFa.

Essential Details
  • Instructor: Kyle Hargrove
  • When: RECURRING! Next class is on 2019-04-27 18:00 EVE Time
  • Duration: Between 1.5 and 2 hours

Class overview
  • 5' - Introduction
  • 10' - One "advanced" fitting topic
  • ~75/90' - Fitting challenges (see above)

Student requirements
  • Public Mumble registration and access
  • Access to the 'Class (EVE Uni)' in-game chat channel
  • Good familiarity with ship fitting and the ship fitting process
  • Good familiarity with PyFa or other fitting tool (I'll be using PyFa though)

Additional notes
This class normally runs on the EU and AU TZs, roughly every fortnight (that means every two weeks!). I'll try to schedule the EU classes at times/days where the US people can also attend, but that won't always be possible. If you miss a class, don't panic! A new one is likely to be not too far away. If you want to request a class or a specific topic, please do so and I'll try to accommodate!

If you like theorycrafting and want to host or co-host this type of class, let me know and I'll be happy to have you as my co-host or help you with your own setup. Also, I'm bad at Photoshop, so if you have a better idea for the class logo, you're more than welcome to help.

Should you have any other questions, ask away in this thread!

Hope to see you there! :D
Last edited by Kyle Hargrove on 2019.04.17 05:40, edited 3 times in total.
<<

Kyle Hargrove

Portrait

Post 2019.03.08 09:07

Re: [RECURRING CLASS] Fitting Workshop - Roughly every fortnight

Next class will be on 2019-03-24 19:30 EVE Time!
<<

Kyle Hargrove

Portrait

Post 2019.03.24 21:34

Small and cozy class tonight! The topic today has been "Fitting for Purpose", and featured a "fix my fit" exercise, the "1M challenge" (fit one ship for a total cost below 1 million) and an exercise on updating the 1M challenge fit to T2.

Next class will be on 2019-04-04 08:00 EVE Time!

AUTZ, this one is for you again ;)
<<

Kyle Hargrove

Portrait

Post 2019.04.04 10:07

Another cozy class, with good interaction from Twitch today! I went over a somewhat complex example of how to fit any ship on the fly with an arty Loki (Auric, your fault) following a basic flowchart that I'll post somewhere here soon. The exercises then were a maximization exercise for a brick Maller, and a "fix my fit" for a Mastodon.

Next class will tentatively be on 2019-04-18 19:00 EVE Time!

The class might need to be rescheduled because it's so close to Easter holidays, but I'll be sure to post here any updates.

Recording of today's class coming soon.
<<

Kyle Hargrove

Portrait

Post 2019.04.17 05:39

Hey folks!

Apologies for the late post, but tomorrow's class is cancelled due to IRL commitments (I have a bunch of colleagues visiting me for a meeting these days).

The class is rescheduled for 2019-04-27 18:00 EVE Time!

My way to make up for the inconvenience is to put it on a timeslot which should accommodate most of you folks ;)

Ciao!
K.

Return to Scheduled Classes