Anomic Burner Mission - Vengeance. A lesson in ECM and CAP.

Forum rules
This forum can be viewed by the public.
<<

Ian Tucenghi

Portrait

Post 2019.01.13 11:51

Anomic Burner Mission - Vengeance. A lesson in ECM and CAP.

I received my second Anomic Team Burner Mission and it is against Vengeance and his Logis - Inquisitors.

I was so happy and very excited when I got the mission because I know how to run the mission, especially with my Garmur Fit and was excited to blitz it.

But reality kicked in and I realized how newb and wrong I was.

FIRST ATTEMPT

On my first run, I actually checked the time of the mission specifically for the Bonus ISK. I want to get the bonus, not for the ISK but to assure myself that I can do burner missions full time.

I saw 6 hours and I said to myself "I can do this within minutes." (Bragging never helps).

I loaded Inferno, Nova, and Mjolnir. And then Insta-undocked and warp to the site.

Knowing the mechanics, I then activated my mods, activated gate, activated MWD and orbit Vengeance. I then target the Logi and jammed the other Logi.

This is pretty standard so far until I realized that the ECM is not working. I was confused and started to bail out from the mission because it was practically useless.

Bailing out at this point is pretty dangerous because I was only orbiting the Vengeance at 17KM and its web is 13KM. In short, when I align to initiate warp, I basically will stop orbiting and the Vengeance will then be able to catch me and web my ship. The end result would be catastrophic.

My solution was to first set the citadel as my destination and then I hit warp 0 to the citadel. I timed my commands when I was the farthest from the Vengeance (caveat: it happened so fast that I really don't know my actual position).

Warp was initiated and I was feeling relieved until I saw the webbed icon on top of my Cap overview. I then instantly hit the warp button multiple times, mentally telling the ship to warp (this sound crazy but I literally don't want to lose my Garmur at this point of the mission).

Luckily, my ship warped and was able to safely docked in the station.

SECOND ATTEMPT

I then went to E-UNI Wiki and read up on ECM. And I slapped my head.

There are four types of ECM and the one fitted in my Garmur does not work with the Inquisitors. The correct ECM is Radar Jammer which I don't have.

At this point, I felt stupid.

But I shrugged it off and started researching for the right Radar Jammer. I first picked up Tech II Radar Jammer and I thought this is good. This should work. So, I then fire up Simulation (in EVE) and started fitting the Tech II Jammer.

And I was not happy because my CAP will die within 2 minutes and I am not sure that I can finish the mission within 2 minutes because my DPS is still 196 and not 200++ per the Guide's recommendation.

At this point, I then remember E-UNI Incursions especially Cass when he told me that faction mods consume less CAP and there are faction mods that are cheap compared to the expensive ones even though they have the same stats.

Fresh from the "AHA" moment. I then went to EVE Market data and look for Radar Jammers. I found 1 Faction Mod named Legion and a Story line Mod 'Heist' Radar Jammer.

I then started to compare the 3 ECM Mods and found the following:

1. Legion Radar ECM consumes 43 tf CPU with a strength of 4.1. This Mod cost 96M++ Isk.
2. Radar ECM II consumes 48 tf CPU with a strength of 4. The cost is 1M++ Isk.
3. 'Heist' Radar ECM consumes 30 tf CPU with a strength of 3.8. The cost is 12M++
Isk.

Now, I am cap stable without the ECM but with ECM running I have only minutes before it runs out. So, I played around with my fit hoping to get the longest time before my cap runs out.

Using both the Legion and Radar ECM II my cap will only last for 2:20 minutes. But using Heist it will last for 8:10 Minutes.

And I choose Heist because in my mind I only need to use the ECM within 7 minutes to kill the first Logi and then I will deactivate it and remain cap stable.

I then went to Jita to shop Heist. I really did not mind the 12M++ price tag because, at this moment, I was a bit rich because I just did Incursions and ISK was good. :D

I fitted my new ECM and finish the Mission without much fanfare. And I also got a bonus! Amazing!

LESSONS

My take-aways from this mission are quite deep and fundamental when running missions or doing anything in EVE. They are:

1. Don't aim for CAP Stable fit all the time. It is good to be CAP Stable but this is not the holy grail. The holy grail is to know when you will run out of CAP and when you are temporarily Cap Stable.

An example:

I knew that I will run out of CAP within 8 minutes but I also knew that I will be CAP stable if I turn off the ECM. I also knew that my 196DPS can kill the rat within 2 minutes or less or maybe more but it won't definitely last more than 8 minutes.

So in this scenario, I am of the opinion that I am CAP stable albeit temporarily which is good.

2. KNOW THE MODS

I am really a Scrub or perhaps a NEWB but if I only knew about MODS then I should just have completed the mission in one attempt. So to be better in EVE is to know EVE deeply including MODS.

Plus know the strength of the MOD and if it is sufficient to handle the NPC in question. I knew that 3.8 Jamming Strength will work so it was fine. It was simply a matter of CAP. :D

3. NOT ALL MODS are EXPENSIVE.

On this one, Cass was right as well as the rest of the Incursions community there are "green" colored Mods that are not that expensive and are a good fit to the ship.

The trick is just to find one which I did and which you should also.

This is all and I hope you learn something new from my second Burner Mission. I sure learned a lot.

Thank you and fly safe o7
Last edited by Ian Tucenghi on 2019.01.14 07:40, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Zoltan Irvam

Portrait

Post 2019.01.14 00:13

Re: Anomic Burner Mission - Vengeance. A lesson in ECM and CAP.

Hi,

if sb webs you while you want to warp, it's the best thing that can happen to you as you will usually warp off instantly.

A web will slow the victim down by reducing its maximum speed - but if you are moving fast at the time the web is applied, you are faster than your new and webbed maximum speed and thus faster than 2/3 of your maximum speed and if you are aligned, you will warp off instantly.

Zoltan
<<

Ian Tucenghi

Portrait

Post 2019.01.14 07:36

Zoltan Irvam wrote:Hi,

if sb webs you while you want to warp, it's the best thing that can happen to you as you will usually warp off instantly.

A web will slow the victim down by reducing its maximum speed - but if you are moving fast at the time the web is applied, you are faster than your new and webbed maximum speed and thus faster than 2/3 of your maximum speed and if you are aligned, you will warp off instantly.

Zoltan

Thank you, Zoltan. I really appreciate the information because this will help a lot in my subsequent missions and during PVP. It also made me check this entry in our wiki: https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Tackling

Thank you again! o7
<<

Troven Smalvard

Portrait

Mentor Manager
Mentor Manager

Post 2019.01.14 08:18

Caveat: i know nothing about the missions so is general principles with speculation

if you are maintaining an orbit of 17km sounds like you a reasonably faster than the dps ship you are worried about, so in that case to extract you should be able to spiral out safely.

just reverse spiralling in as you would to tackle, until you are at a range either outside damage or enough that you have time to warp, if you manual piloting the spiral out you should be able to pick a celestial with minimal deviation so minimizing your warp out.

add to that what Zoltan already wrote, webbing will get you into warp faster, just make sure you are careful i'm not sure if any of the burner rats point, in which case staying close and hoping for a web to warp could end badley, i'm sure wiki/google/experiance will let you know which point or not

keep these up Ian, new insights i'm sure helpful for more than a few people

ImageImage ImageImage
<<

Ian Tucenghi

Portrait

Post 2019.01.14 12:09

Troven Smalvard wrote:Caveat: i know nothing about the missions so is general principles with speculation

if you are maintaining an orbit of 17km sounds like you a reasonably faster than the dps ship you are worried about, so in that case to extract you should be able to spiral out safely.

just reverse spiralling in as you would to tackle, until you are at a range either outside damage or enough that you have time to warp, if you manual piloting the spiral out you should be able to pick a celestial with minimal deviation so minimizing your warp out.

add to that what Zoltan already wrote, webbing will get you into warp faster, just make sure you are careful i'm not sure if any of the burner rats point, in which case staying close and hoping for a web to warp could end badley, i'm sure wiki/google/experiance will let you know which point or not

keep these up Ian, new insights i'm sure helpful for more than a few people

Thank you, Troven. I will keep posting. :D

I love the suggestion! I will try this with L4 NPC and see if I can do it. This is good because this is now in the realm of PVP. WOW! Nice! Thank you.

Fly Safe o7

Return to Player vs Environment