Forum rules
This forum can be viewed by the public.
<<

Ryousuke Takahashi

Portrait

Post 2018.11.26 11:32

Wormhole Scanning/Fighting Ship

Hello everyone,

I'm new to Eve and the University. A quick primer; I did all the tutorials and found the exploration portion one of my favorites. So when I joined the University a few days ago I immediately went cosmic signature hunting. Today was a rather bountiful day in terms of signatures. I found a wormhole at the HSC campus in Amygnon. I jumped through and scanned down J101560. I found some data sites and more wormholes.

I went to check the data site out but knew the instant I landed on site that I was overmatched. Why? Because I only had scanner and salvager on my ship.

So what kind of ship can my Alpha character use to get at these data and relic sites?

I jumped into another wormhole connecting J101560 to J153536. There were even more sites here, 17 total. I spent about 3 hours scanning both wormholes down and I regret not having a ship to defeat NPC's. My data and relic equipment went unused because I couldn't get at the sites.

By the way I was using a Merlin with core probe scanner launcher, salvager, and relic & data hack equipment. I also had a shield booster in case of trouble.

Also I plan on going up to an omega clone in the near future but I figure I would max out my skills as an Alpha first. I also have the alpha clone skill injectors. I plan on buying a some more today during the Cyber Monday deals. They are only $5 plus you get more stuff with it.

Thanks in advance for everyone's advice on this.

RT
<<

Christoph Patrouette

Portrait

Campus Manager
Campus Manager

Post 2018.11.26 11:59

Re: Wormhole Scanning/Fighting Ship

There are different variants of data- and relic-sites. The ones you were in were most likely sleeper sites, their names starting with "Forgotten ..." or "Unsecured ...". If you had the ship to run these, you would not even bother to hack the cans any more as just killing the sleepers will yield much more profitable loot. But the ships you need for those is not something you will have in the beginning of your EVE career anyway.
If you want to focus on exploration for the time, have a look at this page:

https://forums.eve-scout.com/topic/409/ ... -this-site

There are so called "Pirate" or "nullec" exploration sites in wormholes (only in class 1 to 3 wormholes, so dont even bother looking if you are in higher classes), having a pirate faction name in their designation, like "Ruined Serpentis .... xyz" and as you can syee those are safe to warp to as there are no NPCs and there wont be spawning ones. The only danger to you in those are players living in the wormhole (some are even camping these sites in cloaky ships to kill unsuspecting explorers). You can mostly check for those on the killboard of these systems, like https://zkillboard.com/system/31000169/ for J153536 (you will also see that that is a class 1 wormhole there, so you know where to look that up now :) ) If there are players or corporations showing up on a longer timeframe, chances are the system is inhabitated.

Other than that, always keep an eye on d-scan to see ships in the vicinity that are not yet on your grid. Not much else you can do, maybe set up a mobile depot in system to safe your loot from destruction should you be ganked... You are encouraged to use the mapper tool to keep your WH-chain mapped and yourself oriented: https://mapper.eveuniversity.org

Btw. if you need 3 hours to scan 17 signatures, you might be doing something wrong. There are some really good videos on how to scan down things on Youtube.
<<

Ryousuke Takahashi

Portrait

Post 2018.11.26 22:01

Thanks for the information. The 3 hours total for 2 wormhole scans one had 17 the other I would have to check my notes. This might sound funny but I was sort of role playing and having fun with the new game. This might sound even funnier when I mention that I have a captains log of my journeys thus far since joining the university. So as I was scanning I would document the things about the scan and what I found. I also would go to each wormhole and determine where it went and in one circumstance based on the class I listened to I didn’t venture into it because it appeared it would disappear sooner rather than later. I think it said something about only smaller ships could go in.

This game is amazing and I’m having a lot of fun with it thus far. The exploration bit is truly worth my time and effort. No matter how long it takes me.

When I do jump into the wormhole I do check local and each of the 2 wormholes I did scan no one was in local. I paid very close attention to it. I just need a better ship to truly reap the rewards of my exploration.
<<

Conci Furiram

Portrait

Campus Manager
Campus Manager

Post 2018.11.27 00:08

Ryousuke Takahashi wrote:When I do jump into the wormhole I do check local and each of the 2 wormholes I did scan no one was in local. I paid very close attention to it.

One of the defining features of wormhole space is the lack of local. It is disabled. You will never see anyone there unless they chat in local.
<<

Zako Maken

Portrait

Post 2018.11.27 01:53

You want a fast, cheap ship that has bonuses for scanning. If you run exploration sites in wormholes you need to know that you are pray and everyone wants to kill you. To combat this you need to be fast and D-scan constantly so you can get away. You will lose ships, so fly cheap stuff till you get the hang of it. Lastly a ship that has bonuses to scanning will make it MUCH faster to scan down all those signatures.

General Scanning info: https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Exploration

How to run the exploration sites (the ones WITHOUT the NPC "rats"): https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Hacking
See the "Ships and Equipment" for the cheap T1 ships that you should use. If you click on them it will show some simple fits.

Wormhole space runs on bookmarks. Make multiple safes and bounce between them when not cloaked: https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Bookmarks

That should be enough reading to keep you busy for a while! Welcome to Eve and a very warm welcome to wormholes! Even though wormholes are dangerous, they are the most fun and exciting place to fly!
Image Image Image
<<

Ryousuke Takahashi

Portrait

Post 2018.11.27 02:27

Conci Furiram wrote:
Ryousuke Takahashi wrote:When I do jump into the wormhole I do check local and each of the 2 wormholes I did scan no one was in local. I paid very close attention to it.

One of the defining features of wormhole space is the lack of local. It is disabled. You will never see anyone there unless they chat in local.

:shock:

Did not know that. Wow I must have gotten lucky. I was using a Merlin and no I didn’t check d scan. I just made sure to keep moving. Bounced between wormholes and a site or 2. I did make a safe spot based on how the wiki said to do it.
<<

Ryousuke Takahashi

Portrait

Post 2018.11.27 02:35

Zako Maken wrote:You want a fast, cheap ship that has bonuses for scanning. If you run exploration sites in wormholes you need to know that you are pray and everyone wants to kill you. To combat this you need to be fast and D-scan constantly so you can get away. You will lose ships, so fly cheap stuff till you get the hang of it. Lastly a ship that has bonuses to scanning will make it MUCH faster to scan down all those signatures.

General Scanning info: https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Exploration

How to run the exploration sites (the ones WITHOUT the NPC "rats"): https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Hacking
See the "Ships and Equipment" for the cheap T1 ships that you should use. If you click on them it will show some simple fits.

Wormhole space runs on bookmarks. Make multiple safes and bounce between them when not cloaked: https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Bookmarks

That should be enough reading to keep you busy for a while! Welcome to Eve and a very warm welcome to wormholes! Even though wormholes are dangerous, they are the most fun and exciting place to fly!

Thanks and yea I agree the wormholes are amazing even the music gave me the chills the first time through. I’m going to read everything you listed thank you. Actually everything everyone has given me.
<<

Erwin Madelung

Portrait

Post 2018.11.27 06:59

I'd suggest that you'd also join a campus. WHC and Solitude are probably the places for you if you like to scan. Then you can even roleplay that you do the exploration for others and report them to your bosses ;) Additionally the people there can give you more direct advise then here in the forum.
<<

Troven Smalvard

Portrait

Assistant Mentor Manager
Assistant Mentor Manager

Post 2018.11.27 07:32

Erwin Madelung wrote:I'd suggest that you'd also join a campus. WHC and Solitude are probably the places for you if you like to scan.

This ^ (i'd add NSC to the list too, sounds like your on to a good start though get the basics down in HSC but the isk reward from site in Wormholes and Null is vastly greater than HS sites)

an even if your out exploring on your own in a chain of holes, you can drop into mumble into WHC and as long as nothing going on you can ask questions in there if you have something come up you've not seen before or stuck on, just drop in and if its quiet say hi, just if it sounds like there is an op ongoing than you can always post in the campus chat channel and wait for a quiet spell

Erwin Madelung wrote:Then you can even roleplay that you do the exploration for others and report them to your bosses ;) .

def a role fro that in WHC ... and you get paid for scanning on top too!! get that cloaking IV for covops and you'll be well on your way

ImageImage ImageImage
<<

Ryousuke Takahashi

Portrait

Post 2018.11.27 10:33

Erwin Madelung wrote:I'd suggest that you'd also join a campus. WHC and Solitude are probably the places for you if you like to scan. Then you can even roleplay that you do the exploration for others and report them to your bosses ;) Additionally the people there can give you more direct advise then here in the forum.

Yeah I have my eye on the WHC but I need to get Freshman status first and then get the ships required. I'm confident I'll be there eventually.

Solitude is interesting because my understanding is that it has lower populations. So better chance to get scans in high security as well as wormholes.
<<

Ryousuke Takahashi

Portrait

Post 2018.11.27 10:39

Troven Smalvard wrote:
Erwin Madelung wrote:I'd suggest that you'd also join a campus. WHC and Solitude are probably the places for you if you like to scan.

This ^ (i'd add NSC to the list too, sounds like your on to a good start though get the basics down in HSC but the isk reward from site in Wormholes and Null is vastly greater than HS sites)

an even if your out exploring on your own in a chain of holes, you can drop into mumble into WHC and as long as nothing going on you can ask questions in there if you have something come up you've not seen before or stuck on, just drop in and if its quiet say hi, just if it sounds like there is an op ongoing than you can always post in the campus chat channel and wait for a quiet spell

Erwin Madelung wrote:Then you can even roleplay that you do the exploration for others and report them to your bosses ;) .

def a role fro that in WHC ... and you get paid for scanning on top too!! get that cloaking IV for covops and you'll be well on your way

Ironically, I was in null security space tonight. The wormhole I scanned had 2 other wormholes which went into null security space. They led to 5-VFC6 & MN9P-A both were Pandemic Horde space. I said hello in chat and dashed back into the wormhole. LOL!
<<

Zoltan Irvam

Portrait

Post 2018.12.06 15:06

Hi,

you best bet is to scan down the system in a ship bonused for it, hack the pirate relic and data sites and if you happen to be in a C1, you can come back with a T1 cruiser and try to kill the rats - C2 maybe in a T1 BC - past that you need a gang and/or a blingy Gila.

The only ship which has a scanning/hacking bonus and can do the sites (in a C1) would be a Stratios, which is not very cheap...

Zoltan

Return to Exploration and Wormholes