ECM changes and a new way to use it?

Forum rules
This forum can be viewed by the public.
<<

Milja Itazura

Portrait

Post 2018.10.11 13:42

ECM changes and a new way to use it?

I've been hearing all the huff about the ECM change (where a ship that is successfully jammed can only target the jammer), how it will cause the death of the Griffin, ECM forced to become primary target, etc. I may be committing heresy here, but this new ECM sounds like a warrior taunting the party's target to attack him/her instead. However, as my PvP experience is extremely limited, I want to offer this question to those that are more knowledgeable.

In a small gang encounter, could ECM be used by a tanky ship to force an enemy to focus on it for 20 seconds? Warp in on the gang, target their biggest threat, and have a hybrid-tanked ship ECM them until they can only attack the "tank"?

Along those same lines, perhaps ECM could be used in conjunction with damps (which is probably how it's being used now); ECM sits far away, jams the target, and someone else damps the jammed ship so they can't retaliate on the jammer...
Milja Itazura

"Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius."

"Ha ha ha, you fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is 'Never get involved in a land war in Asia,' but only slightly less well-known is this: 'Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line!'"

Current industry initiatives:

Beginner Exploration contracts available in 101

Gallente Starter Packs available in 101

Caldari Starter Packs available in 101
<<

Budda Sereda

Portrait

Post 2018.10.20 16:54

Re: ECM changes and a new way to use it?

I never heard about ECM used for tank: they just don`t have enough tank. Their survivability is range, if you fit ECM for more tank then you just lose mobility and or ECM power.
If you fight another fleet then you won`t be able to jam every enemy's ship (unless you have a fleet of jam ships, I`ve seen once a few dozens of Griffin Navy Issues). And then other ships will surely focus on you: extra tank won`t help, they will kill you anyway. Yes, if you have enough logies, extra resist/buffer might help. But why not 'offer' a more tankier ship to shoot at?

If you attack a solo ship, then... you still need to be at range so only very few ships can reach you that far (70-90km). But even in this case, i'd say you better use modules that boost your strength. For instance: you better increase ECM strength, have set of racial jammer, and be capable of jamming the T2 ship rather than fly a super tanked Blackbird with a few multispectral jammers which has hard time jamming even t1 ships.

I believe the biggest reasoning of the ecm change is solo fits for jam ships: now they are not a complete cancer.
Join in-game "Budda's Fleet" channel for impromptu activities and quick updates on my future fleets.
My FC career: https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/User:Budda_Sereda
<<

Milja Itazura

Portrait

Post 2018.10.21 17:46

You misunderstand me...I don’t want to use a dedicated ECM ship as the tank...I want to have a really tanky ship (like a hull-tanked Brutix, assault cruiser, or a battleship) fire off a burst ECM as a way of clearing everyone’s target list to where the only way they can apply damage is to the ship that can take the most damage. For those of us that are used to playing World of Warcraft, it’s the same as using an AoE taunt mechanic to grab everyone’s aggro so the DPS can fire away without fear of being shot at.

Is it feasible?
Milja Itazura

"Ha ha ha, you fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is 'Never get involved in a land war in Asia,' but only slightly less well-known is this: 'Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line!'"

<<

Budda Sereda

Portrait

Post 2018.10.30 18:18

Milja Itazura wrote:You misunderstand me...I don’t want to use a dedicated ECM ship as the tank...I want to have a really tanky ship (like a hull-tanked Brutix, assault cruiser, or a battleship) fire off a burst ECM as a way of clearing everyone’s target list to where the only way they can apply damage is to the ship that can take the most damage. For those of us that are used to playing World of Warcraft, it’s the same as using an AoE taunt mechanic to grab everyone’s aggro so the DPS can fire away without fear of being shot at.

Is it feasible?

I guess the best advice I can give you here is following: start FCing, build experience running small gangs or disposable ships, work your way up to BCs, build trust in you from pilots, and experiment. That's the best way to learn, you will also enjoy playing the game and mastering you FC and theorycrafting skills. At some point, you will be able to try your doctrine.
Let me know if you need assistance with making first steps or any bits of advice (please send me eve-mail in game).

Regarding your specific question: fit hull-tanked Brutix (or another ship) and burst ECM.
Unless you use hull with ECM bonuses, you won't be able to jam much. Even if you fit 3 ECM modules to your Brutix, jam chances for each of those will be around 10-20, maybe even 30-40% agains poor hulls with low skilled pilots, but even then the best you can do with this is to jam 1 ships at a time, realistically, you will jam 1 ships once per 2-3 cycles. That's not that bad for opponents to focus on you.

Plus, hull-tanked Brutix is not THAT tanky, it's like 60k EHP. In order to drain DPS, you need to have high-resist and logies repping you. Prophecy would be tankier (80k EHP) and higher in resist (around 75-80%). But even prophecy won't fit many ECM modules to be a good jammer. I can't think of any other ship which can have solid tank and can still jam. The best is probably Scorpion, but if you fly it with other ships it will be primaried anyway, and it is not really tanky (as for BS).

I did not play much WoW, but I don't know any good way in EVE to force an opponent to shoot any specific target. Opponents won't focus fire Prophecy if you have T1 logy ships on grid, unless those ships REALLY far. All tanky ships are known for all even average FCs and not going to be primaried. Fitting jams to them you will make fit less efficient, won't get much value, and won't force the opponent to focus on it.
People still try to make a bait ships, and that sometimes works, but you don't need jams and it works not because people don't know that's a bait, but because: you should never not take a bait :)

Hope this help.
Join in-game "Budda's Fleet" channel for impromptu activities and quick updates on my future fleets.
My FC career: https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/User:Budda_Sereda
<<

Milja Itazura

Portrait

Post 2018.11.02 02:54

I wouldn't mind FCing, if I had the time. I hardly have the time to make the established fleets, and FCing would take even more time than that. But it's because of that limitation that I'm asking the question here...so that those who have more experience than me can weigh in (which you did quite satisfactorily, thank you ^_^).

Opponents won't focus fire Prophecy if you have T1 logy ships on grid

What if the Prophecy gets a good burst ECM off and it's the ONLY thing the opponents can target for 20 seconds (or however long it is), giving the logi the chance to top people off, warp away, etc? Or is ECM too spotty to be reliable enough for something like that?
Milja Itazura

Return to Player vs Player Combat