[YouTube] "5 Alternatives to Space Engineers"

Forum rules
Server: E-UNI EEP
<<

Seamus Donohue

Portrait

Post 2018.07.08 04:59

[YouTube] "5 Alternatives to Space Engineers"

I'm not recommending that we drop Space Engineers at this time, but this video caught my attention, so these other games are worth keeping an eye on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noGnVg_0A34

Dual Universe, in particular, is ambitious, meaning that it'll be awesome if it succeeds but has a nonzero chance to completely flop. From the video, above, I would describe Dual Universe as "If EVE Online and Space Engineers had a baby...."

Planet Nomads will be singleplayer only, so not of interest to us as a DED activity.
<<

Seamus Donohue

Portrait

Post 2018.07.11 13:18

Re: [YouTube] "5 Alternatives to Space Engineers"

I just noticed that https://forum.keenswh.com/forums/change-log.326211/ hasn't seen any new threads since March. That might not be a good sign. I'll try Empyrion and get back to you people.
<<

Turlough Dominian

Portrait

Events Manager
Events Manager

Post 2018.07.11 13:36

I can confirm dual universe is like eve online + space engineers having a baby, I splashed out awhile ago on the 180 euro pack to get my alpha access its only a few days each week that they let people on to test.

Compared to space engineers the multi-play stability is night and day in comparison, if they keep on track and hit the many goals over the next few years will be hard to get me to log back into eve :D other than that can't say much NDA yada yada

Retired Assistant Personnel Manager,Events Manager, Retired Assistant Guidance Manager, Senior Personnel Officer Graduate,
<<

Seamus Donohue

Portrait

Post 2018.07.11 16:00

For the non-MMO options, Empyrion is looking like a good alternative to Space Engineers, but I haven't quite got a grasp on all the early-game stuff and I haven't had a chance to look at the multiplayer performance.

[edit] I don't recommend jumping ship, yet. It seems that there is still some development work going on with Space Engineers, after all.
<<

Seamus Donohue

Portrait

Post 2018.07.18 15:37

Development is still continuing with Space Engineers, but I am not clear on the details. I have not been keeping up with the latest news.

I have been playing Empyrion for the past week and a half. It is similar to Space Engineers in some respects, but it does a few things differently. (I should note that I haven't tried the multiplayer at all, but Minecraft-style options exist for multiplayer.)

1) There are no pistons or rotors. One grid == one ship OR base. If I refer to a “grid”, then I am talking about a ship or base. ("Grid" is Space Engineers terminology, but I haven't seen Empyrion use the word.)

2) Empyrion does not use a conveyor system. If you can reach any part of a grid that you own, then you can access any inventory in that grid. That being said, I haven't seen any way to automate the movement of materials from one device on the grid to another device on the grid. The one categorical exception is that any Generators on the grid will automatically consume fuel as-needed from any Fuel Tanks on that same grid. They don't need to be adjacent.

3) Empyrion uses smallblock and largeblock grids, but a grid is one of four types: Base, Capital Vessel, Small Vessel, and Hover Vessel. The first two types are largeblock, the last two types are smallblock. However, some block types are only available for specific types of grids. For example, you cannot put a Warp Drive on a Hover Vessel, and you cannot put Turrets on a Small Vessel. Only Bases can have Solar Panels or Solar Capacitors (the equivalent of Space Engineer's batteries); every other grid type has to use fuel of some sort (either mined or processed from trees) in Fuel Tanks.

4) Whereas Space Engineers uses a single continuous three dimensional field, Empyrion uses zones. Orbital space is a zone, the planetary surface is a zone, and the lunar surface is a zone. There are other planets in the solar system, but I have not visited them yet, so I do not know if the orbital space around other planets are yet additional zones. Additionally, distances seem to be distorted between the planetary surface zone and the orbital zone. if you need to get to the other side of the same planet and you have a small vessel, then it might actually be shorter distance to go up into orbit, then move around the planet, and finally reenter the planetary zone than it would be to just take a Hover Vessel the entire way in the planetary zone.

The curvature of the planet or moon you are on is never visually apparent while you are in the surface zone. The world always seems flat (hills notwithstanding) until you ascend into the orbital zone.

5) You always have access to a flying Personal Drone (default key F5 to deploy or recall) that you can use to scout around corners, place blocks, and use tools from your hotbar (but not weapons, the Personal Drone can NOT be used to fight).

6) Resources can be obtained a few different ways. First, you can scavenge them from procedurally-generated nodes in the wild that refresh over time, World-Of-Warcraft-style. Second, there are underground "Deposits" of minerals on each planet and moon that are automatically revealed within 500 meters. You can drill these Space-Engineers-style with a Drill of some sort (not the Survival Tool). I don't think these regenerate at all, but that fact may vary by whatever scenario was loaded for the world. Third, you can capture NPC grids and then salvage the blocks for components or retrieve the blocks for use in another grid.

7) Whereas ownership in Space Engineers is on a per-block basis (and you can only own blocks that have computer components), ownership in Empyrion is done on a per-grid basis. A grid must have a Core block to be controllable by anyone at all. Changing ownership of the grid requires destroying the existing Core with weapons fire, and then placing your own Core anywhere on the grid. You can NOT salvage or retrieve blocks from a grid owned by someone else, but damage and destroy any block on the grid with weapons fire.

Empyrion is in an earlier stage of development than Space Engineers. There may be more added as time goes on.

Due to my not keeping up with Space Engineers news, I am still NOT recommending that we jump ship from Space Engineers at this time.

Return to Space Engineers