The lost dominix incident

Forum rules
This forum can be viewed by the public.
<<

Hatchin

Portrait

Post 2018.01.27 20:27

The lost dominix incident

Today I lost a dominix agains wartargets from The Socket Was closed.

https://esi.tech.ccp.is/v1/killmails/67 ... ranquility

I am reporting here because someone may benefit from the why of it:

We were forming up around citadel 101. I was in my plated neut dominix hanging around the citadel.
Call for docking up came while a wartarget was at a 425km tactical. I did not make haste being in a plated domi and knowing I was at docking range.

Then more wartargets warped in and I was locked and scrammed, I locked the WT Gila back still thinking I can dock at any point.
Only when I was in half armor I attempted do dock. Then I saw the message -External effect is preventing docking- or something in that vein.
What I did could be done on a normal station but it seems not on a citadel. I am a returning player from before the citadel era and didnt know that detail.

So the moral of the story is:
1) You cannot dock to a citadel if you target the enemy and get scrammed
2) Respond to FC's command the moment you hear it
3) Respond to FC's command the moment you hear it
4) Respond to FC's command the moment you hear it
<<

Nisho One

Portrait

Post 2018.12.17 17:46

Re: The lost dominix incident

Thanks for the info mate !
<<

Kano Fiera

Portrait

Post 2018.12.17 18:15

Whoa, I didn't know citadels behaved differently from stations in this respect. Are there any details on the rules we can link to?
<<

Cassiel Seraphim

Portrait

Post 2018.12.17 22:40

Yes, there's a decent entry on our wiki about Tethering which lists most common and some uncommon things you can and cannot do to remain tethered (and thus safe) while close to an Upwell structure. Since you said in one place that you got locked up and then locked one of them back and in another place you said you can't dock when you lock someone up and get scrammed, I'll explain both scenarios for those unaware of how tethering works.

In the first case, of you being warp scrambled before locking up either of them, then you probably had a Weapon Timer (prevents you from tethering) as the other reason for not tethering would be you not having docking rights (as a unista, highly unlikely). If you had a weapon timer, then you'd be unable to dock for the remainder of that timer, which gave them time to lock you up and warp disrupt you (or warp scramble), which would then prevent you from both warping away as well as tethering or docking in the structure even afer the weapon timer wore off.

In the later case, if you were tethered upon reaching the structure, then the act of locking up one of them broke the tether and allowed them to lock you up and warp disrupt you. This then had the same effect I mentioned earlier, preventing you from not only warping away but also from re-tethering and docking.

Anyway, thanks for sharing Hatchin, you just saved a few people the same fate. I recommend everyone who isn't up to date on either Timers or Tethering and the effect they have on your ability to jump, dock, tether, change ships, eject etc ... read up on it. It'll save your ship! :)

Return to Player vs Player Combat