Portable EVE

<<

Eternalblue Guy

Portrait

Post 2020.01.08 19:47

Portable EVE

Hey!
While having some spare time I was looking at EVE Launcher and file paths it uses for cache, shared cache and logs and I think I managed to make a fully portable EVE on USB stick. That's nothing too techy and is quite simple.
Should I post a wiki article/explain it to someone more experienced so he can format it for better readability(english is not my first language)?

Eternalblue Guy ^^
<<

Roke Huren

Portrait

Post 2020.01.08 20:30

Re: Portable EVE

Sounds great, Can play eve on my work then :P :lol:
<<

Nienke Solette

Portrait

Post 2020.01.08 21:19

If you wanna spend a bit more RL money I would suggest on putting it on an SSD which is in an USB-C enclosure. This could improve your loading times. :D
<<

Eternalblue Guy

Portrait

Post 2020.01.09 20:16

I use USB 3.0 stick and it works really well. On USB 2.0 is really slow and hangs up sometimes but I presume on portable SSD it would be flawless :D
<<

Rayanth

Portrait

Wiki Manager
Wiki Manager

Post 2020.01.11 09:00

I have no problems if you want do a write-up on the wiki. You indicated English isn't your strong suit, but as long as you get something put together, someone else may be willing to clean it up for you.
UniWiki Manager - Teaching Staff
Scientia Ipsa Potentia Est
<<

Eternalblue Guy

Portrait

Post 2020.01.13 20:34

I started working on
https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Creating_a_portable_EVE_Client
I don't know and never used edit function in Wikipedia so can someone please format it for better readability and also rephrase it for easier understanding?
<<

Celine en Chasteaux

Portrait

Post 2020.01.14 07:50

Eternalblue Guy wrote:I started working on
https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Creating_a_portable_EVE_Client
I don't know and never used edit function in Wikipedia so can someone please format it for better readability and also rephrase it for easier understanding?

Had a quick look and that is perfectly understandable, and would not have guessed English is not your first language!

One comment, for lines such as this:

- Navigate to your plugged-in disk and create a directory of your choosing to store all your EVE data, for example "EVE Online".
- xcopy /E %userprofile%\Documents\EVE Documents\EVE /Y

Are they going to work? Often windows cmd and bat functions fail when a directory has a space in and you have to use quotation marks, so might be better to advise to add an underscore for any newly created directories?
<<

Shauny Tsero

Portrait

Mentor Manager
Mentor Manager

Post 2020.01.14 09:32

Just to check, will this only work on Windows or would it be the same for Mac?

If it is majorly different you may want to have both on there, otherwise add to each section the diferences in action (Cmd instead of Win, etc.).

Or if it would not work on Mac then a note at the top would be ideal.

Mentor Manager, Orientation Officer, Titles Officer, TA, Ensign, Former Student Advocate
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

ImageImage ImageImage ImageImage
<<

Cassiel Seraphim

Portrait

Post 2020.01.14 16:45

Have you considered using symbolic links / junctions to point to the pen-drive instead of actually copying files? If instead of copying, you setup a junction on the primary drive of the computer that points the "CCP" or "EVE"-folder to the pen-drive, you'd not have to copy any files and any changes you make ingame would be saved on the pen-drive instead of locally and so wouldn't be lost.

Edit: And you'd probably not have to fiddle with drive-names either.
<<

Eternalblue Guy

Portrait

Post 2020.01.15 16:09

Celine en Chasteaux wrote:Are they going to work? Often windows cmd and bat functions fail when a directory has a space in and you have to use quotation marks, so might be better to advise to add an underscore for any newly created directories?

In my script the space is actually dividing two arguments so fortunately it does not ruin the code. But this is a great note. I'll update it.

Shauny Tsero wrote:Just to check, will this only work on Windows or would it be the same for Mac?

Unfortunately. I do not know. Macs are too expensive for me so maybe if someone has one, feel free to check if something similar works and post an update!

Cassiel Seraphim wrote:Have you considered using symbolic links

I haven't even thought about it and it's a great idea! I'll try to implment it once I have some spare time ^^
<<

Zhanshi Chen

Portrait

Post 2020.01.19 16:25

Hmm, very interesting! I'll have to try that out sometime!

stares at single USB port, stares at wireless mouse and keyboard Hey, wait a minute...
"I'm sorry, but I've gotta go. Real life calls."
("And it always seems to call at the most inconvenient of times, but ah well...")

Return to Wiki