Waru vs Stupidity: A Learning AAR

Waruiru

Waru vs Stupidity: A Learning AAR

Post by Waruiru »

It is Saturday morning and The Wife says, “No Eve today, we have to get ready for dinner. You did invite your mother, so we have to get ready.” I agree, of course.

But, I have a daily skill point run to do. This is Important. How shall I make all of this work?

I wait for a bit, like a cloaked Stratios, waiting for my moment. Then The Wife goes to the shower. I have time, a short time, but time enough. Now, I live in the WH Campus, so I have to get out of our home system into Eggs, a high sec system, so I can kill a small rat, then redock and get back to vacuuming the house. I need to be quick, but how hard can it be?

I log in and join fleet, which you always have to do. I do not join Mumble, as my wife will hear. I jump in a Astero and think “Hey, let me try that People and Places open on undock trick. That way I will be able to jump right away.” I undock and am busy looking at People and Places, see the Bacon bookmark and think “Let us try this out, I will warp to Eggs after,” and hit warp and cloak. Then I look at the overview and see a sea of purple ships. A friendly fleet.

“Oh man, they must be doing something fun. I always miss the fun things. Maybe it is PVP. Oh no....”

I come into the Bacon hole and see a sea of Kikimoras. They are not friendly. I land and spam enter wormhole, feeling the badness rise up in my chest. I jump, land on the other side, finally with my brain turned on. (Or so I think.) Damn, I am in the wrong system, I am in trouble. I quickly warp to a safe spot marked in corp bookmarks. I open the mapper and see that we have a link to a high sec system. Ok, go get the skill points, it will give you time to think.

I look at the mapper and realize that I can get home through high sec, ten jumps. Good, I won't mess with the fleet again, I will do that. Or maybe log in high sec, The Wife won't be in the shower forever,

I realize I have to get on Mumble, so I do. Fleet sounds happy, they are now posting killmails. Oh good, I can go home the way I came. All will be well, right?

Kill drone, get points, jump back into WH space. More killmails getting posted. Warp back to the *Bacon hole and find a Sabre. An enemy Sabre, right on top of the hole. Jump! I hear the FC say, “Everyone approach the gate.” I think, “Coms discipline, you are not part of this and have proved you have no idea what is going on. But, but, but... they may not know about the Sabre and what if they get bubbled.” So I say “Sabre on other side of gate.” FC confidently replies with “I know.”

My jump completes and there are friendly ships everywhere. I warp back to base, quietly, then log. Turn off Mumble. Then I hear a voice. The Wife.

“Did I hear kids in the house?” Err, I think, maybe the happy fleet sounded like kids. Oh man, I am dead. Then, through the window, we hear kids. I look up and smile and say, “It is Thanksgiving, I think Dave next door has his grand kids home.”

Then I hear a voice in my head. It is BOB. He says, “Thou shall do penance, since I let your skinny butt get off lightly. Others must learn from your mistakes. Go write an AAR and give thanks.”

ISK won and lost – none
Skill points earned 10,000
Reputation – in tatters.

Pros – The Wife didn't catch me
Lessons
1. Always be on Mumble.
2. Do not warp into other people's PVP. It can take forever to set up and you can blow it for them, just by appearing for a second.
3. Be part of the team. The person who put the safe spot book mark was part of the team when I needed it. I was not part of the team and helped no one.
4. Look at the overview first, then the bookmarks.
5. Do not assume a couple of dead fleet members mean the fight is over. They could have been the bait.
6. There is no 6.
7. Don't jump somewhere you don't want to be. Jump to where you intend to go.
8. All thanks to BOB!

Apologies to the WH fleet and congratulations on the kills.
Tau Hopper
Title: Graduate

Re: Waru vs Stupidity: A Learning AAR

Post by Tau Hopper »

A thrilling read...!
Spoiler
...and I hadn't expected Waru to win - quite a plot twist!
Retired AMC Assistant Manager | Mining FC, 1st Class

ImageImageImage
Conci Furiram
Retired Director
Retired Director
Title: Fittings Staff, Doooooooooooooooooooomed, Graduate

Post by Conci Furiram »

This made my morning. Especially the neighbor's kids! Such perfect timing can only be the work of Bob.
Ana'ander Lamora

Post by Ana'ander Lamora »

Extra thanks this thanksgiving for this great read!
Magic Anninen
Title: NSC Officer, Graduate

Post by Magic Anninen »

many thanks for sharing this!!!!

Magic