Mental Health Awareness Week

Forum rules
EVE University's usual communications rules apply, so ensure that any topics are appropriate for a family-friendly environment.
<<

Shauny Tsero

Portrait

Mentor Manager
Mentor Manager

Post 2019.05.13 09:30

Mental Health Awareness Week

Hello Everyone!!

I apologise now for the lengthy post, it is however important so please do have a read :D

In case you didn't know this week is Mental Health Awareness Week in the UK so we would like to use this time to help raise awareness. Mental health problems can affect anyone, at any time. We believe that mental health is everyone’s business. We shall aim to raise awareness of topics like stress, relationships, loneliness, sleep, alcohol and friendship. Hundreds of schools, businesses and communities have come together to start conversations around mental health that can change and even save lives. This year, with your support, we want to reach more people.

So here is some information about mental health:

Depression
Depression is a common mental disorder and one of the main causes of disability worldwide. Globally, an estimated 300 million people are affected by depression, statistically more women are affected than men. Depression is characterized by sadness, loss of interest or pleasure, feelings of guilt or low self-worth, disturbed sleep or appetite, tiredness, and poor concentration.

People with depression may also have multiple physical complaints with no apparent physical cause. Depression can be long-lasting or recurrent, substantially impairing people’s ability to function at work or school and to cope with daily life. At its most severe, depression can lead to suicide.

Management of depression should include psychosocial aspects, including identifying stress factors, such as financial problems, difficulties at work or physical or mental abuse, and sources of support, such as family members and friends. The maintenance or reactivation of social networks and social activities is important.

Bipolar affective disorder
This disorder affects about 60 million people worldwide. It typically consists of both manic and depressive episodes separated by periods of normal mood. Manic episodes involve elevated or irritable mood, over-activity, pressure of speech, inflated self-esteem and a decreased need for sleep. People who have manic attacks but do not experience depressive episodes are also classified as having bipolar disorder.

Developmental disorders, including autism
Developmental disorder is an umbrella term covering intellectual disability and pervasive developmental disorders including autism. Developmental disorders usually have a childhood onset but tend to persist into adulthood, causing impairment or delay in functions related to the central nervous system maturation. They generally follow a steady course rather than the periods of remissions and relapses that characterize many other mental disorders.

Intellectual disability is characterized by impairment of skills across multiple developmental area such as cognitive functioning and adaptive behaviour. Lower intelligence diminishes the ability to adapt to the daily demands of life. Symptoms of pervasive developmental disorders, such as autism, include impaired social behaviour, communication and language, and a narrow range of interests and activities that are both unique to the individual and are carried out repetitively. Developmental disorders often originate in infancy or early childhood. People with these disorders occasionally display some degree of intellectual disability.

Family involvement in care of people with developmental disorders is very important. Knowing what causes affected people both distress and wellbeing is an important element of care, as is finding out what environments are most conductive to better learning. Structure to daily routines help prevent unnecessary stress, with regular times for eating, playing, learning, being with others, and sleeping. Regular follow up by health services of both children and adults with developmental disorders, and their carers, needs to be in place.

There are other areas of mental health to consider like learning difficulties and split personality disorder. Our community at large has a role to play in respecting the rights and needs of people with disabilities so we implore you all to consider these, among other, mental health conditions when communicating with your fellow players.

Mentor Manager, Orientation Officer, Titles Officer, TA, Ensign, Former Student Advocate
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

ImageImage ImageImage ImageImage
<<

Laura Karpinski

Portrait

Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post 2019.05.13 10:54

Re: Mental Health Awareness Week

Thanks for posting, Shauny. This is so important.

EVE is a game but it's also a community. We all need some support sometimes, myself included, and there is support out there <3
CEO of EVE University
<<

B'aldrick Aivoras

Portrait

Fleet Command Course Manager
Fleet Command Course Manager

Post 2019.05.13 21:35

Top post Shauny - Broadcast4reps is a good resource for eve players.

I can’t link the website atm as I’m mobile but EVE and the Uni has a great community that pilots can talk to!

Stay safe and be safe o7

FCC Manager
|
Graduate | Assistant Orientation Manager | Senior Personnel Ofiicer

ImageImageImageImageImage
<<

Shauny Tsero

Portrait

Mentor Manager
Mentor Manager

Post 2019.05.13 21:38

B'aldrick Aivoras wrote:Top post Shauny - Broadcast4reps is a good resource for eve players.

I can’t link the website atm as I’m mobile but EVE and the Uni has a great community that pilots can talk to!

Stay safe and be safe o7

I will be doing support avenues another day so it will be linked :)

Mentor Manager, Orientation Officer, Titles Officer, TA, Ensign, Former Student Advocate
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

ImageImage ImageImage ImageImage
<<

Morning Maniac

Portrait

Retired Director
Retired Director

Post 2019.09.02 08:09

A bit late to respond but I would just like to say thank you for these posts! It is a lot of work but it is so important...
<<

Psychotic Fickity

Portrait

Director of Education
Director of Education

Post 2019.09.04 17:26

I am in the process of looking ahead and am thinking of having broadcast4reps come back to talk in December.
Image ImageImageImageImageImageImage ImageImageImageImageImage

<<

Verrus Constantine

Portrait

Post 2019.09.14 12:33

Thank you ever so much for putting this out there for people to read.

I think a lot of people would love to try and help others with MH problems but it's not a simple task. Not only is it still a bit of a taboo subject but it's so wide ranged that every person fights their own individual battles.

I hadn't heard of Broadcast4reps, such an awesome project!

Thanks again

Verrus

Return to General Chat & Discussion