[AAR] Marcus Arilia's attempt to learn PvP (Solo Comp)

Marcus Arilia

[AAR] Marcus Arilia's attempt to learn PvP (Solo Comp)

Post by Marcus Arilia »

So, after getting myself owned in random 1-1 PvP as I fly from system to system, I’ve decided I need to do some learning. I decided what better way to learn than repeated failure, so I flew myself from the NSC to Stacmon and started buying frigates. I decided 5 Tristans would be a good way to start learning, and these are their stories. (I'll be adding as I go).

S.S. Struggle

Log: 2018/10/09
To start my PvP trial by error, I headed into Placid. Many had told me that the Novice plexes were a good place to start so that’s what I did. I eventually found someone. Clue number one was that he was 100 off the plex. Clue number two was that when I warped away he followed me. Clue number three was that he already had a suspect timer. Well I went back to the plex, and he actually beat me there. A nice little battle ensued. Unsurprisingly, I lost. I realized after the fact that I likely should have insured my ship before I went out to kill stuff, so that’s a lesson for next time. I also was a little slow on the gun at firing once I had him locked, so paying more attention to that is another one for next time.
End of Service: 2018/10/09

S.S. Albatros

Log: 2018/10/09
So, this time I made sure to insure my ship, and now I know if they’re already flashy, they’re likely more of a hunter than prey. This time to find a better system I tried out using Dotlan and using the NPC kill counter to try and find a better system. I found a nice little spot and sat for a few seconds. A minute later I saw a Federation Navy Comet on 1AU D-scan. After my last adventure I knew I wouldn’t be able to take that, so I warped off in search of a new system. I flew around for probably two hours, not finding anything that looked decent to engage, or in most systems finding nothing at all. Off to bed

Log: 2018/10/10
Back out I go to continue my roam of Placid. I continue to hop from system to system, see some battleships. I finally find a Stilleto and get excited, till I do some D-scanning and figure out he’s with a Praxis, so that was a no go. After getting frustrated I made my way to Black Rise. On my way I see an Atron and a Condor on D. I couldn't find the Condor on D, but I eventually narrow down the Atron at the Novice site. Off I go. I land on him, he immediately scram/webs me so he's looking for a fight as well. I do the same, orbit at 500 and overload my afterburner, guns, and once my shield was blown my repair. It got pretty close, but I eventually wore him down. First Solo Kill, Yay! In retrospect I should have turned on the repair earlier as by the time it kicked in my armor was almost shot.
Atron 10,703,660.21

After spending a few minutes checking out my shiny new killmark, I decided it was time to go looking for some more. After an hour of not finding a good target I ended up stumbling across someone’s wreck that got me 6 mil in loot and a corpse. Flew around for another hour and eventually found another Tristan. Played cat and mouse to no avail. Eventually I came across a system with only a Corax. Now before I wouldn’t have engaged a destroyer with my little T1 frigate, but I was bored. So, I found him sitting outside of a plex and warped in. He immediately warped out. I was surprised at this since I was in a Tristan, but okay. I found a celestial I could scan from and hung out there. Eventually he came back and so I warped in, turns out he was off at 30. So, I took a look at the angle, warped out to where he came from, and came back at 30. Ended up at 14 km away from him so I started to burn in. Took a few hits coming in but sent the drones his way and fired up the blasters once I got close. Hit the repair just in time to keep myself alive, and once the scram was on him he couldn’t fire fast enough to take me down. Two killmarks now, oh my.
Corax 10,860,058.59

Well I went to go pick up some more nanite paste, in one of the systems on the way I see a Navitas on D. Find him sitting outside a large plex. Web, Scram, Drones, and Blaster. Doesn’t even fire back. Afterwards I see it was an empty hull. Not sure what’s going on there. Should that even count as a kill?
Navitas 294,157.73

Well all streaks come to an end. Found myself a Tristin in a novice complex. Hopped in, he very quickly warped out. I thought "Oh that sucks, where should I go next". A second later an Astero warped in. Before I could think about it he scram and webbed me. I tried to do what I could, but he repaired any armor damage I did instantly. And that was the end of that. Lesson of this one, if they warp out of the plex immediately, assume it's a trap. Actually just assume everything is a trap, all the time.
End of Service: 2018/10/10

Karma, at least I got on the killmail.
Astero 175,385,577.36

S.S. Valkyrie

Log: 2018/10/10
Well, I made it back to Stacmon and hopped in Tristan #3. Off to bed for now, but she's at least ready to go next time I log in.

Log: 2018/10/11
After flying around awhile I came upon a Caldari Navy Hookbill sitting outside of a plex. I figured I'd try to take him. About the time I had him into hull his friend in a Retribution dropped in and ended it very quickly. Lesson from this one is that unless they're inside of the plex, also likely a trap.
End of Service: 2018/10/11

Karma, I guess the Retribution wasn't his friend.
Caldari Navy Hookbill 26,974,355.93

S.S. Redemption

Log: 2018/10/11
I'm just going to hope this little guy lives up to his name, we'll see how this goes. Joined the PvP class and listened in, didn't get on the killmail there. Few around for awhile and found another plex camper hanging out in a medium in his Venture so I made quick work of him. I guess it's practice at least.
Venture 237,626.56
Capsule 10,000.00

Found a Corax in a small plex, thought I'd give it a try since I killed one before. Not a good idea. This one was ready for me. He was already 30km off the warp in, I managed to get out of there with about half hull remaining, whew. Went a few systems over and found a Tristan. Well he about got me when he hit his MWD to break my lock, then came back in hard. Again I managed to get out just in the nick of time. And with that it's bedtime.

Log: 2018/10/12
Well upon logging in I did a quick D-scan and found a Venture sitting in a belt. I think he may have been AFK at first. He tried to run away towards the end but was too slow. I podded him just for fun too, I might want to stop that, I loose so much sec status.... but it's so much fun...
Venture 295,217.26
Capsule 10,000.00

Shortly after I found a kitey Kestral that I couldn't keep up with for the life of me. Maybe I need to figure out how to fit a MWD onto this Tristan. Went into a novice plex and landed on a Tristan with his drones already out. He ended up getting the better of me.
End of Service: 2018/10/10

S.S. Struggle

Log: 2018/10/12
Well, here's the last of the five. Time to see what it can do. Wandered around, then heard there was a T-22 Dread, so I'll be coming back to PvP once the clone is ready for another jump.

Log: 2018/10/13
Managed to follow a Tristan into a plex. I don't think he saw me right behind him, and he was too worried about the NPC to know I was taking him out.
Tristan 5,426,262.01
Capsule 10,000.00

Well that was stupid of me, forgot to look at what level system I was in, found a Venture and started shooting. Concord'd...
End of Service: 2018/10/13

S.S. Banana Hammock

I refit for the kiting Tristan instead of the Brawler, we’ll see how this goes. The last few systems I’ve been chasing another Tristan, finally caught up to him. Got him with the disrupter and it was over. I really like the range on the disrupter over the scram. After looking at the killmail, turns out it’s the same guy I killed last time. That’s gotta piss him off.
Tristan 5,426,262.01
Capsule 10,000.00

Well I found another one of the AFK plex campers, while it’s a rather unfulfilling kill, I guess it’s still one.
Navitas 291,441.06

Well I tried to take down a Daredevil, that did not work well. Turns out he was rail fit. I think I’ll avoid the pirate frigates going forward.

S.S. Artichokey

Chased a magnate around a system for a bit, I eventually caught up to him. My sec status is dropping like a rock, I should probably stop podding everyone
Magnate 4,274,369.24
Capsule 10,000.00

Another stupid mistake, but now I won’t forget. While I may forget that flashy yellow and regular yellow are not the same thing, the gate guns don’t forget.

S.S. Artichokey

Engaged a Tormentor, he must have been speed fit as well since my drones were having trouble keeping up with him. He ended up getting me to about half hull before I warped out.

Landed on a Fed Navy Comet, as I said in my previous pirate encounter, I don’t do well vs. them.

A few days Total:

Killed: 37,859,054.67
Lost: 26,525,075.76
Other: 202,359,933.29
Last edited by Marcus Arilia on 2018.10.24 17:16, edited 3 times in total.
Graduate xxxxxx Former FCC Staff xxxxxx Content Creator
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Marcus Arilia

Re: [AAR] Marcus Arilia's attempt to learn PvP (Solo Comp)

Post by Marcus Arilia »

I'm done naming these things, they blow up too fast

Log: 2018/10/19
Flew around for about 10 min and picked up a Procurer, Covetor, and Porpoise. I'm guessing the guy was multiboxing. I figured out the moon with some D-scanning, and warped into it at +100 so I could figure out where he was sitting. Found the rock and jumped in at 20. Had to burn in about 5 and pointed the Covetor. The Porpoise and Procurer warped out quickly afterwards. I managed to take out the Covetor before he came back with a Legion. Downside was I had to leave four of my drones behind to get out, but I made up for it with the loot I grabbed. I did add insult to injury by popping his jetcan of replete pollucite. He was not happy about that and said so on local.
Covetor 37,578,031.57
Jetcan full of Replete Pollucite: 30,000,000.00

I tried for a Tormentor in a plex. Unfortunately, his targeting time was a bit faster than I could get range and he ended up scram webbing me before I could get far enough away to kite. I need to get better at my hotkeys for things like orbit.
Tristan 4,374,660.23

Cruised around and found a Tristan sitting in a large. He was like 80 off so I figured I’d burn towards him for fun. I don’t think he noticed till I yellow boxed him. Sent my drones and disrupted. He was late on the ball, and made the mistake of attacking my Hob IIs instead of me so they tore him up rather quickly. Looking at his fit it looks like he kind of set it up to be kitey, but gave up either damage or speed with his repairer. He then complained that the E-Uni shouldn’t hunt in low sec… where else will I learn to PvP? I was nice and sent him a note with some fitting advice.
Tristan 6,156,226.06

So I undocked and immediately found about 6 wrecks. In the first run I ninja looted a good 20 mil isk worth of stuff. On #2 someone's scout uncloaked and scramed me, followed by the fleet hopping in behind him. So I got kaboomed. But considering the 20 mil I already got, and the fact that about 2.5 mil of the killmail was loot I had picked up, I still consider this one a win.
Tristan 7,163,930.71
Ninja Loot 20,000,000.00

Daily Total
Killed: 43,734,257.63
Lost: 11,538,590.94
Other: 50,000,000.00
Last edited by Marcus Arilia on 2018.10.24 17:16, edited 4 times in total.
ImageImageImageImage
Marcus Arilia

Post by Marcus Arilia »

Log: 2018/10/23
After the server issues I got on and roamed FW. Finally came along some other frigates. Ended up with Kestrel and Tristan on D-scan, which shortly turned to a Kestrel and capsule. I headed over to the Novice to see if I could grab them. Managed to get the Kestrel with shields at 20%. Got to range and disrupted and got out the drones, he never hit me so I don't know if he was AFK reveling in his kill or what. Not sure if this counts since technically the other guy ended up on Zkillboard too.
Kestrel 15,149,126.80

Flew around some more and found an Atron in a belt. Hopped in at 10km to tackle and keep range and took him down.
Kestrel 1,699,125.66

Hopped into a system that was hot and I was bored. Looking at Pirate's Little Helper I saw there were 10 Conoco in system. Found a Covetor on D, so I knew it was a kamikaze run since he was likely Conoco, but that it would be worth it. Went in at 10 and locked up the Covetor. He sicked his drones on me so I hit the overload on my MWD. Managed to outrun them and get him down to half armor before his buddies dropped in. I figured I'd take the hit to take him out and took him down. Tried to see if I could burn off far enough away to warp off, but no such luck. Practiced warping out and managed to get somewhere safe, but came back so they could pod express me to Stac to pick up another Tristan.
Covetor 31,230,619.88
Tristan 7,506,442.64
Capsule 10,000.00

Found another Kestrel and killed it, unfortunately it ended up being just another plex camper. At least I'm slowly discouraging the plex camping.
Kestrel 355,493.68

I'll go after anything, even a shuttle just sitting out there.
Gallente Shuttle 21,691.49

Found a Tristan in a plex. Dropped in on him, this time I hit orbit, locked, then the MWD to get range. It ended up working. I got out of his scram range and he started attacking my drones, didn't work as I hovered at 20km with the MWD on. He was pissed afterwards.
Tristan 13,931,010.78

Daily Total
Killed: 62,387,068.29
Lost: 7,516,442.64
Other: 0.00
Last edited by Marcus Arilia on 2018.10.24 17:16, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImage
Troven Smalvard
Title: Assistant Manager (Orientation), Gate is Primary, Point on Primary, Graduate, Management

Post by Troven Smalvard »

Marcus Arilia wrote:I'm done naming these things, they blow up too fast

Log: 2018/10/19
Flew around for about 10 min and picked up a Procurer, Covetor, and Porpoise. I'm guessing the guy was multiboxing. I figured out the moon with some D-scanning, and warped into it at +100 so I could figure out where he was sitting. Found the rock and jumped in at 20. Had to burn in about 5 and pointed the Covetor. The Porpoise and Procurer warped out quickly afterwards. I managed to take out the Covetor before he came back with a Legion. Downside was I had to leave four of my drones behind to get out, but I made up for it with the loot I grabbed. I did add insult to injury by popping his jetcan of replete pollucite. He was not happy about that and said so on local.
Covetor 37,578,031.57
Jetcan full of Replete Pollucite: 30,000,000.00
nice job, if he just chucks 3 sets of warriors drones on you he should prob just pop you first ? maybe he thought you were bringing friends and panicked? was it just you guys in system or were there other neutrals?

i would have blown up his can too if brought legion back to fight a Tristan! that sounds something unscrupulous like i would do to a poor frigate ( i'd probably die to the tristan though)
ImageImage ImageImage
Marcus Arilia

Post by Marcus Arilia »

Troven Smalvard wrote:
nice job, if he just chucks 3 sets of warriors drones on you he should prob just pop you first ? maybe he thought you were bringing friends and panicked? was it just you guys in system or were there other neutrals?

i would have blown up his can too if brought legion back to fight a Tristan! that sounds something unscrupulous like i would do to a poor frigate ( i'd probably die to the tristan though)
Yup it was just the four of us in system. Pretty positive he was multi boxing because it took him awhile to respond with any change in drones and instead it looked like the focus was on getting his Procurer and Porpise out. So I just spun circles around the Covetor till it went down. I’m sure he just panicked and wasn’t expecting a Tristan to drop in and take any of his barges out. On the plus side it taught me I can take down a Covetor under the right conditions, and they’re fun targets.
ImageImageImageImage
Marcus Arilia

Post by Marcus Arilia »

Log: 2018/10/24
Undocked and found a Tristan in system, turns out he was at a small. As I slid gate he warped out so I figured I'd chase him for a minute or two. He made the mistake of running to a large so I warped right in and disrupted him and sent the drones. He tried to run off but I overheated my MWD. I run out of cap and lost my disrupter for a cycle. Luckily he didn't notice. Next time I need to make sure to watch cap a little closer and cycle the MWD.
Tristan 4,916,037.43

Saw a Tormentor on D. Tracked him down to a plex but he warped off. Found him on a planet.and warped to 50km. I ended up a little over 100 km off of him. I targeted a 20km orbit and overheated the MWD. Got within range and unleashed the drones. I ended up losing point for a second when I slingshotted, on these long range catch-ups I probably should target 15km then move to 20 once I'm in close. Either way I got him though, he was brawler fit so he didn't even touch me. Had an engagement timer with him too so I popped his pod as well.
Tormentor 14,342,107.15
Capsule 10,000.00

So I found an Atron with a name of Thathel's Atron, a 2 mo old character with nothing on the killboard. I thought perfect target. I drop in and the character name was different, he scrammed me before I could get out of range and took me down. Afterwards I realized what he had done was create a carebear alt, and rename his ship the alt's name, and had both accounts logged in at once, to make him look like an easy target, and then quickly gank ya. Quite the deception technique.
Tristan 7,510,609.22

Came into a gate camp. I tried to burn back but didn't stand a chance. Note to self, Mercomesier is a dangerous place.
Tristan 9,475,627.01

Found a Catalyst belt ratting and figured I'd see if I could take it. Came and and had to burn into him. I tried to do a better job this time at watching cap and distance. He got a couple hits on me when I turned off my MWD for a round, so I think I'll need to be a little more careful at leaving it on if I'm doing any sort of speed tank. Looking at his fit and loot he must have been pretty newbro.
Catalyst 3,712,952.23
Capsule 10,000.00

Ran into a Rifter, got him into hull, then he zoomed off and warped out, I was down to hull myself so I figured it wasn't worth the risk of chasing.

Found another plex campers, I wish I had the sec status to pod him too.
Tristan 408,303.13

And another, boo
Kestrel 355,493.68

Found a semi-afk Covetor. He called for help, but too little, too late. Never even pulled in his drones. A Tempest dropped on the Citadel, but by then I was already warping out.
Covetor 24,361,679.68

Another gate camp, I was quickly BLAP'd. Should have burned back to gate. Figured I'd let them pod express me to Stac.
Tristan 9,475,627.01
Capsule 10,000.00

Found a Tristan and saw he uses railguns from zKillboard so I figured range would be key. He was waiting for a fight and already had his drones out. First thing I did was hit my MWD and managed to get out of scram range. Disrupted him and flew in circles around 15 km. Threw my drones on him. I turned on the overheat to outrun his drones for a bit so I didn't take too much damage. That worked pretty well, but I had to turn off overheat because the fight took a bit due to him having an armor rep. I ended up taking a little bit of damage, but only about 1/3 way through my armor. He killed a couple of my drones, so I'm glad I picked his up, but I likely could have finished him off sooner had I realized he had killed them earlier and sent out the replacements sooner. Either way though it was a good win. GFs in local from us both. Looking at his fit, I think part of his challenge may have been the railgun neut combo combined with the combination tank of armor, but with bulkheads. If he had gone one way or the other on either of these I likely would have had a harder time.
Tristan 20,225,372.14

Same guy as above, this time in a Vigil Fleet Issue. I'd never fought one before, so I thought even though I always lose against faction stuff, it would be good experience. I found out quickly the web/scram combo on the Vigil Fleet is extremely long (Almost 20 km) which allows them to grab anything speed tanky like myself and rocket them to death. Pretty neat brawling fit. Still had his stuff in my cargo so the value ended up being higher than normal. Should have remembered to dump it first.
Tristan 13,788,040.21

Hadn't fought a Firetail before so I figured why not. First thing I found out was that thing is fast. Even with my MWD I couldn't stay out of range. I was doing alright till his buddy dropped in, and once it became two on one I was down fast. Once I get a little better at PvP I really need to look at trying out the faction frigates.
Tristan 7,506,442.64

Hopped out of station and saw an Ares with a Cyno up right on the npc station. Used what I learned in the gatecamp class and aligned out, hit the Ares with a warp to trigger the guns, warped out then back in. Must have been AFK cause the capsule set there awhile after I killed him.
Ares 35,322,253.71

Found a Fed Navy Comet, figured I'd try my luck. Locked him, sent out my drones, and he just zoomed. He tried to send his on me too, so I MWD'd after him but could not keep up. He eventually just warped off. Good to know it's going to be hard to ever attack those though without some webs.

Saw two Atron's on scan, then an Atron and a capsule. Scanned him down and hopped in. Managed to get to range before he could scram. Again the armor tank on those things is a pain for my drones. Eventually took him down while staying at range. Had to cycle using the MWD though for cap again.
Atron 14,551,749.12

On the way back from a fleet saw a Catalyst. He was smart and killed all my drones. So I disrupted and sat at 20km unable to DPS but still able to be obnoxious. I figured I'd try to bore him to death. A couple minutes later a Firetail showed up so I figured I should let him go and warp off.

Daily Total
Killed: 118,215,957.27
Lost: 47,166,346.09
Other: 0.00

Overall Total
Killed: 262,196,328.86
Lost: 93,346,455.43
Other: 252,359,933.29
ImageImageImageImage