Re: Every day seems to drag-on - The OP Chorogon AAR

Post by Cassiel Seraphim »

MVP: Vertxsees
Ann'Dra Padecain
Title: Sophomore

Post by Ann'Dra Padecain »

Thank you for organising.
After watching the wormhole for +/-10hrs over three nights when I should have been sleeping my eyes now feels like the eyes of Kaa the Snake in the Junglebook (https://youtu.be/Nh5kxentrY0)... :shock: :shock:
Second ever fleet as logi after some gentle prodding from Titus. And it being slow'ish made it for me. Lots of time to ask questions and work out cap-chains up & down only to redo it 20mins latr as somebody takes a bio or retires from ths shift.
Off to te next one... :arrow:
Ann'Dra
Wokum

Post by Wokum »

Incredibly well organized and executed. Hats off to everyone involved and, while there were boring moments due to timer mechanics, it was fun being part of Eve Uni history! And pretty explosions... :D
Velts Engren
Title: AMC Officer, Spai Hunter Extraordinaire, Graduate

Post by Velts Engren »

Can we do more op like this ? I have another 200 levels of Project Discovery to grind while guarding the hole.

In all seriousness, that was a great op, well planned, well executed. It was sometimes boring, but it was always a pleasure.
Former AMC Officer and Gentleman
Christoph Patrouette
Title: HSC Logistics Officer, Personnel Officer, Breaks Things, Sophomore

Post by Christoph Patrouette »

This was just awesome...not the OP in itself, that was boring as hell. But the community, the joint effort, the communication was really good and entertaining. And finally being in a wormhole with the soothing feeling that a lot of people have your back and you can feel somewhat save. I really have to join the WHC some day...

I am proud to say i actually contributed to this OP with more than just being there - namely with the only real skills i have, industry and ship building. Had dozens of contracted ships up for sale and a few are still left over.

There is just one thing i really dont understand, why some people have to accept a lot more contracts than they really need - i had two guys buying all my Ospreys and thats just not fair for the other people out there, just saying...

#yourmusictasteisshit
#literally

:D
Zaliek

Post by Zaliek »

I guess I should tell my tale of how I pissed off a FC and gave everyone something to do besides stare blankly at a wormhole.

I was playing with OBS Studio, planning to record some explosions. I realized that to do this right I would need to hide the UI and thus wouldn't actually be contributing. So I got the idea of bringing in an alt on my second account and using that to record. And hey why not get some practice evading a serious hole camp with instalockers? So I got out my alts atron (2s align) with it's T1 cloak, mwd, and probe launcher and hilariously bad skills at everything. I go to the lowsec system and scan down the hole and prepare to jump thru and get blown to bits.

I jump thru the hole, doubleclick to decloak, then hit my cloak, change direction and hit the mwd all in the 2 seconds you get before you can't activate an MWD after cloaking. The camp starts looking for me as I slowly crawl towards the edge of the bubble, occasionally changing course to avoid ships that are trying to decloak me. After several minutes people start speculating that I crashed the hole and wasn't there anymore. I decloak and warp off before anyone can grab me. I start building safe spots and then cloak up and sit there for a while, waiting for the adrenaline to wear off.

Uh oh the FC is messaging me. I identify myself. Turns out I had missed the part about the hole being crit and apologize profusely.
Richard Marte

Post by Richard Marte »

Christoph Patrouette wrote: i had two guys buying all my Ospreys and thats just not fair for the other people out there, just saying...
Were you pricing them above market cost? If so that would probably explain it.

If the goal is to go easy on new people it is probably better to offer more direct donations so that you can control where it goes, and just price ships at market price. You're already doing people a service by staging them.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Doctor Kling

Post by Doctor Kling »

awwwww yeah that was brilliance, all!
Michael Alderman
Title: HSC Officer, Sophomore

Post by Michael Alderman »

First of all, thanks to everyone that worked hard to make this happen. It was well executed. A lot of people put in lots of time and effort. Fun hanging out with you all!

As I was camping the hole for hours on end, trying to stay alert, I noticed that the more demanding job there probably was the tackle that kept moving most of the time, and kept alert. Good job on that one.

Really happy that my little intel reports lead to this whole thing. Thanks for the appreciation! I only started to collect that info because *I* felt I needed it. Obviously, it was useful to other people, so I made that a regular thing. I'm glad it has been useful. And hopefully more people will read them as I put them up. They can save your life! Know thine enemy and all that stuff. Anyone who doesn't know what I mean, look in "The War Room" on the forums.

And Titus, sorry again about shooting you. I accidentally locked you, and hadn't noticed I had pre-activated my missiles by accident after the Azbel blew up (clicking after a reload had become habit by then). At least, that's the only guess I have as to why it would automatically start shooting you upon lock aquisition. Couldn't cancel the locking process. I suspect I will feel stupid about that for some time. I suppose that's good. Not likely to ever make that mistake again. And I suppose I didn't do too much damage with those heavy missiles, anyway. lol
Romulus Finn
Title: Freshman

Post by Romulus Finn »

Though I could only join for a short time of POS bashing, it was great, and I'm thankful to have been a part of it!
ImageImage
Aastoval Ermintar

Post by Aastoval Ermintar »

I came for almost none of it and it was my only ever 'Big eve fleet'.

I was a reinforcement in a fleet of 4 on the last day or so. There was 2 euro people, 1 American and 1 Aussie (strictly by accents). We then reinforced a hole camp and the protocols for that were enlightening. I was interested to see the the Uni POS as a Kaserne for when people had to logoff.

I caught only a glimpse of the logistic train required to maintain this kind of presence. I wish i had the kind of time required to really sink my teeth into this kind of thing.

I ave been deeply impressed at the level of organisation present within the uni in general and that was even more amply demonstrated by what little i got to see (RL comes first) which was the death of the Citadel and the loot piñata which was a giggle, especially that Barghest.

ALL without anything more than an invitation that i took to be an invitation and not coercion. THIS.

Kudos to all involved.
fly safe,

Aastoval
Muzzy Chuck

Post by Muzzy Chuck »

I've been having an internal debate with myself for a couple of days now about whether or not to write this voice-in-the-wilderness post because everyone seems to be so pleased with themselves and the flames will likely be unbearable...
...but stuff it.

I've looked up the word Chorogon in the OED, and other than the anime link it is described thus: Chorogon - the physical act of staring at a freshly-painted surface for a period not less than the time taken in order for said colouring to fully air dry, fade a little, crack, then ultimately flake off.

From the moment Op Chorogon was announced I knew exactly what it would be: a tedious, time-consuming, mind-numbing exercise in patience and confusion, led by a handful of people who knew almost exactly what was going on but were so wrapped up in planning the nuts and bolts of the main event that the other, much larger element of the conquering force - we hapless grunts - would be largely ignored, save for a few words of thanks for showing up to sit around staring at the stars for the best part of three days. I've been on one of these before, you see.

So why did I bother?
Well, I didn't do it for what, puzzlingly, everyone seems to think are 'pretty explosions'... if I wanted to see my screen turn white for the briefest of moments I'd have saved myself the time and launched MS Word 2013 for a second before closing it down again.
I did my bit because an E-Uni show of force is an awesome sight to behold... that initial feeling of being part of something that makes other pilots from other corps stop and stare as 100+ ships glide up to a gate unannounced and quietly slip through, off to a destination unknown where they will mete out justice in the only way they know how: together.
Other than that I showed up because bullies need to be punched in the face sometimes, and hitting them really, really hard is the best way to do it.

So I joined Op Chorogon, and after the initial travel excitement and set-up was over it was exactly what I predicted.
Granted, had the enemy somehow managed to muster enough opposition to put up a fight it would have been a different story, but for me this amounted to around 15 total hours of staring at nothing much with most of that time being spent having no choice but to listen to a small handful of people who love their own brain-searing voices so much that if they could polish them and hang them on the wall above the fireplace then they would. It was an endurance test.

Don't get me wrong though - the purpose of the operation and the actual execution of it was spot-on. From the AAR it is obvious that a lot of work went in to it, and all (genuine) credit should be given where it is due. Great job. Really.

But, for me, it's the detail that was missing. The skeleton was all there and perfectly-formed but there was no meat on them there bones for 95% of the people involved, and certainly no tangible reward at the close of play.
Opportunities were missed right from the beginning, in my opinion. Eve University is a teaching organisation but despite a blank sheet of two or three days stretching before it, with a captive audience of at least a few dozen at any given time, no consideration was given to formally educating the newbros (or even the clueless olderbros) about what was going on. I thought this at the time but it became even clearer last night in a public Game Mechanics class when people who had been there were still trying to find out what was going on - how do wormholes actually work? Critting a WH... what? Why the different classes of WH? Why did we do this at all?
Sure, these questions were kind of answered ad-hoc and very briefly at the time but something structured - actual planned classes of sorts where people could have asked questions without fear of interrupting someone babbling-on about themselves or whatever - would have been a hugely-useful thing and would have given something back to (a large part of) the community who had freely given their time. After all, there's no better way of learning than having something explained thoroughly as it happens right in front of their eyes or while they're in the very environment being discussed. Out in the field, as it were.
But the education opportunities didn't have to begin and end with the mechanics of the op though - how about some PvP practice for those with little or no experience in that area? Dogfights down to structure? Spiralling practice led by someone who knows how it works? Slingshotting? A chat about the benefits of good fitting? What are dreadnaughts? Sleepers?
Anything but sitting and staring at nothing happening.

But here's where, for me at least, everything fell apart: the end.
Once the pretty explosions died down and the loots were gathered together (did everyone on the op even realise there would be loot? A little bit of structured teaching would have made sure of that...)
Rather than fairly divvying-up the spoils to make sure the rewards had an even chance of going to everybody who deserved them for the time they had dedicated to the cause, the firesale of ships became a wallet-waving exercise for a group of 6-10 people, immediately excluding the best part of 100 still in fleet. Those of us who aren't exactly rolling in space money.
Sure the stupidly-OTT proceeds went to the Uni (which no doubt has a not-unreasonable bank account already), but POS bashes aren't the organisation's sole source of income so raising as much ISK as humanly possible wasn't the be-all and end-all... so why not actually offer a chance for the little people to benefit from their efforts? Some kind of raffle? Giveaways? A draw? Competitions, even?
Anything but actually blowing ships up for no reason at all or selling them for ludicrous amounts of ISK to people who probably don't even need or want them (otherwise they'd have bought them for half the price in Jita).
That was poorly-planned and felt like a slap in the face, to be honest. It was really quite unfair.

I don't know. In reading this all back I feel like it's a little bit on the harsh side, not exactly reflecting the event as a whole. But on the other hand all I've seen so far (for the most-part) are posts at the opposite end of the spectrum which are just as unrepresentative. I suspect those not in the various campus cliques who are still wondering what the hell has just happened are disinclined to be so openly critical (I'm not so keen on doing it myself, TBH) so perhaps I should be the one to speak up.

Nevertheless, despite all of the above - well done to everyone involved. It was a tremendously-worthy event no matter how you interpret my words.
Trillian Ituin

Post by Trillian Ituin »

Zaliek wrote:I guess I should tell my tale of how I pissed off a FC and gave everyone something to do besides stare blankly at a wormhole.

I was playing with OBS Studio, planning to record some explosions. I realized that to do this right I would need to hide the UI and thus wouldn't actually be contributing. So I got the idea of bringing in an alt on my second account and using that to record. And hey why not get some practice evading a serious hole camp with instalockers? So I got out my alts atron (2s align) with it's T1 cloak, mwd, and probe launcher and hilariously bad skills at everything. I go to the lowsec system and scan down the hole and prepare to jump thru and get blown to bits.

I jump thru the hole, doubleclick to decloak, then hit my cloak, change direction and hit the mwd all in the 2 seconds you get before you can't activate an MWD after cloaking. The camp starts looking for me as I slowly crawl towards the edge of the bubble, occasionally changing course to avoid ships that are trying to decloak me. After several minutes people start speculating that I crashed the hole and wasn't there anymore. I decloak and warp off before anyone can grab me. I start building safe spots and then cloak up and sit there for a while, waiting for the adrenaline to wear off.

Uh oh the FC is messaging me. I identify myself. Turns out I had missed the part about the hole being crit and apologize profusely.
That atron was you? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Titus Tallang
Retired Director
Retired Director
Title: Director of Special Projects, Teacher, Puella Magi

Post by Titus Tallang »

Muzzy Chuck wrote:love their own brain-searing voices so much that if they could polish them and hang them on the wall above the fireplace then they would
Can confirm, would do this if it were possible.
*creak*
Ulrik Elristan
Title: Ensign, Sad About A Title, Rock Real Estate Broker, da Explorah, Graduate

Post by Ulrik Elristan »

Christoph Patrouette wrote: #yourmusictasteisshit
#literally

:D
...That was a mistake, I had the "funnies" playlist on :oops:
“Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win” - Sun Tzu.

May enter novel-writing mode at any time. Beware of the walls of text !