Page 8 of 8

Re: How can we improve our classes?

Posted: 2020.11.19 14:34
by Mike Kingswell
We are currently revamping our way for sharing content for classes and will keep that in mind.

As for Timezones:
Yeah, those are always a problem and we try to spread our classes out as much as possible. That simply depends on the availability of our great volunteer teachers - so if you know someone who might be able to teach a class or two (or you can do so yourself) feel free to reach out to us :) Never enough ;)

Re: How can we improve our classes?

Posted: 2020.11.20 00:16
by Lev XII
Khaeltan Shakiel wrote:
Shauny Tsero wrote:Is it possible we can have more classes during EU time zones as a lot of classes I see are 02:00 UTC(GMT) which is very late, also I see them mostly at weekends which half of them I can not attend.

I understand the need for more teachers which makes this difficult I just wanted to put this out there.
Quoting this comment, I missed out on some really interesting classes due to my timezone, most of them would have been in the middle of the night for me.

Additionally I was thinking that it would be really nice to have a portal of some sort, reserved to uni-members, where recordings and class related material is stored for fruition.
To this end it comes to my mind that a platform like Microsoft Teams allows for automatic recordings of sessions, which could come in handy!

In fact, there is an entire library on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClYJb- ... XMw/videos

While I understand it does not contain the same type of engagement as attending a class and getting a talk through by a live teacher, the recordings on youtube are always there for you if you missed a class but don't want to slog through the reading material on the wiki (though I totally recommend the slog, mmmmm slog)

Re: How can we improve our classes?

Posted: 2020.11.20 02:30
by Anidien Dallacort
Getting some more up to date recordings, and in some more up to date formats, is also a Soon(TM) goal.

Re: How can we improve our classes?

Posted: 2020.11.20 09:30
by Casimir 1981
I dont know if that is possible, but perhaps a few comments on the existing recorded classess about how uptodate they are. When I look at a date a class was rrecorded kind of desitimulates me on watching or listening it.

Re: How can we improve our classes?

Posted: 2020.11.20 16:35
by Athena Firefly
Casimir 1981 wrote:I dont know if that is possible, but perhaps a few comments on the existing recorded classess about how uptodate they are. When I look at a date a class was rrecorded kind of desitimulates me on watching or listening it.
Many of our CORE classes are also recorded and available in our Class Library, and should be applicable (mostly, anyway) since they are reasonably 'up-to-date'.
So if you're looking for some of those specifically, chances are good you'll find it there. It's always worth a look regardless! :)

Re: How can we improve our classes?

Posted: 2020.12.13 21:27
by Rutjosnabet Longworth
I have recently managed to attend two great intro lessons from our resident teachers but came a little unstuck around Discord....

Might be worth a quick memo to the teaching staff on the class info write up, that when joining Discord to use the App as opposed to the web browser version as this does not facilitate the live streaming and so the slides can't be seen.

Please imagine an old git, looking slightly like Victor Meldrew screaming and banging the screen (off-mic of course) "I can't see the bloody camera icon next to the teachers name!" - not a pretty picture trust me :oops:

Re: How can we improve our classes?

Posted: 2020.12.14 01:15
by Anidien Dallacort
Rutjosnabet Longworth wrote:I have recently managed to attend two great intro lessons from our resident teachers but came a little unstuck around Discord....

Might be worth a quick memo to the teaching staff on the class info write up, that when joining Discord to use the App as opposed to the web browser version as this does not facilitate the live streaming and so the slides can't be seen.

Please imagine an old git, looking slightly like Victor Meldrew screaming and banging the screen (off-mic of course) "I can't see the bloody camera icon next to the teachers name!" - not a pretty picture trust me :oops:
According to Discord’s site, watching a stream can occur through either the installed app, or the Chrome browser client.

https://support.discord.com/hc/en-us/ar ... h-Go-Live-

I’ve added a short blurb about those supported clients, to the “Attending Classes” wiki page:

https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Classes#Public_Discord

I’m also sharing this tidbit with the rest of the teaching department. Thank you for bringing this up!

Re: How can we improve our classes?

Posted: 2020.12.22 20:09
by Diathen Eridani
Class slides link included in the class forum announcement post.

Members can then go over the slides a head of the class if desired. Some slides are linked in the description of the youtube posted videos (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClYJb- ... XMw/videos). not sure if that is still a thing.

It could help newer questions be theory based instead of knowledge based.

-Diathen

Re: How can we improve our classes?

Posted: 2020.12.22 20:41
by Anidien Dallacort
Diathen Eridani wrote:Class slides link included in the class forum announcement post.

Members can then go over the slides a head of the class if desired. Some slides are linked in the description of the youtube posted videos (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClYJb- ... XMw/videos). not sure if that is still a thing.

It could help newer questions be theory based instead of knowledge based.

-Diathen
Keep an eye on this wiki page for the CORE classes: https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/CORE_classes

Right now, the links aren't populated. The slide decks are all undergoing review and updates in the teaching department. As that process completes, the links to the CORE classes will become available at an on-demand basis again - reviewable before and after class at leisure.

For non CORE classes, the availability of the deck, will vary by the lecturer (i.e., a special guest lecturer from outside the Uni, will likely be providing their own material, that may or may not become available for distribution outside of the actual class).