How can we improve our classes?

For information about upcoming EVE University classes.
Forum rules
All class announcements should be posted in the following format: (CLASS) YYYY-MM-DD Name of the class. Once the class is finished please alter the title to say (COMPLETED). If you are interested in running a class, contact our Teaching Department.
Rorhke Shardani

Re: How can we improve our classes?

Post by Rorhke Shardani »

Scheduling of classes is based upon availability of teachers to teach them.

US night time classes rely on US night time teachers.

So if anyone has something you think you can teach others about, then talk to teaching management about getting a class scheduled!
Assistant Teaching Manager | Mentor | That Annoying Class Announcement Guy | SPO
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Fhulgrhim

Post by Fhulgrhim »

I don't know who teaches what and who is from where. I would imagine that the teaching department would have that figured out and would task the US teachers appropriately.
ImageImage
Image Image
Budding Miner, Aspiring Industrialist. Open to learning, willing to get hands dirty.

“I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you f*ck with me, I’ll kill you all.” - General James D. Mattis, USMC (Ret)
Rorhke Shardani

Post by Rorhke Shardani »

I think you misunderstand how classes work.

Teaching of classes is not assigned. People who want to run classes run them as their schedule and as their knowledge permits. Teaching management will ask the teaching staff if they can possibly try to run class X or class Y because they have been requested in a specific timezone.

It may be that the class you're after doesn't even have a US based person on teaching staff who has that knowledge.

If you have specific classes you want to get run, request them in the class thread (I noticed you have requested PI Classes) noting the timezone you would like them run in. Hopefully there will be a teacher who knows the subject matter available in the same timezone as you and they will schedule accordingly.

For example, if a request was put in for Exporation, Wormholes, Mining and maybe fitting to be run during a US time, I could sign up to teach them on Tuesday or Wednedsay nights because they are the only two nights I have free to do it. If the same request was made for the in depths of gunnery, or Gallente ships, I couldn't do that because I just don't have that in depth knowledge.
Assistant Teaching Manager | Mentor | That Annoying Class Announcement Guy | SPO
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Fhulgrhim

Post by Fhulgrhim »

I guess that is what I didnt understand. I thought the classes were per a schedule or something like that. So here is a wild suggestion and I dont know the feasibility of it, but hear me out.

What if the University went to like a quarter (semester like) schedule. Like plan out in advance all the courses to be taught over 3 months (impromtu ones withstanding). Then your pool of teachers can volunteer for what they want to teach. It seems there is enough establish classes/syllabi that a standard rotation (1/2/3 month) could be developed that would benefit the major time groups. I know special classes come up, but even those could have a syllabus developed for others to follow in the future and then those classes could as well be added to the rotation. Then if you miss a class, you know you only have to wait a month or two for the next rotation and hopefully can jump in there. And then again there is nothing wrong with some impromptu standardized classes if there is enough interest to warrant holding one out of cycle.

Just a wild idea that fits along with the theme of a university.
ImageImage
Image Image
Budding Miner, Aspiring Industrialist. Open to learning, willing to get hands dirty.

“I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you f*ck with me, I’ll kill you all.” - General James D. Mattis, USMC (Ret)
Jurius Doctor

Post by Jurius Doctor »

Rorhke Shardani wrote:Scheduling of classes is based upon availability of teachers to teach them. US night time classes rely on US night time teachers.
Fhulgrhim wrote:I guess that is what I didnt understand. I thought the classes were per a schedule or something like that. So here is a wild suggestion and I dont know the feasibility of it, but hear me out. What if the University went to like a quarter (semester like) schedule?
1. I'm a US TZ Evening Teacher, and I try to be prolific. If you need something run, send me an in-game mail and copy Dunar and I'll get it scheduled.

2. Semester-scheduled wouldn't work for most people because a lot of folks don't know their schedules consistently three months in advance, and it would be on a volunteer basis. These classes aren't assigned, and life often has a habit of getting in the way. I can't count the number of times I've had to drop game because my little sister needed me to come rescue her, or my wife booked a social obligation (and didn't tell me) and I was required to be there.

Classes would work for classes which are okay to be run once or twice a month, on weekends (once for EU/AS TZ, one for AU/US TZ), and only on weekends. But even then, you run into problems during the summer and holidays.

So, TL;DR - won't work.
Fhulgrhim wrote:Just a wild idea that fits along with the theme of a university.
Difference, actual university faculty and staff get paid for their time. (That's not a complaint.) ... and/but they're required to be there for the hours they're being paid.

While the intention and focus of this university is noble, well-heeled, and has an excellent history across a number of points, it is not an actual university. And unless I strike it rich (in the tens of millions) I doubt anyone will be collecting a salary on E-UNI teaching anytime soon.
Image Image
Sanje Qi

Post by Sanje Qi »

I am part of Eve -UnI for a month and I have a small suggestion on how to improve the Classes.

Most of the teachers are very experienced players and sometimes I thing is hard for a new player to understand the terms and abbreviations used.
So my suggestion would be, if possible, that they consider being a little more descriptive with the terms.

Cheers
o7
Sanje Qi
Tao Dolcino

Post by Tao Dolcino »

I totally agree with you Sanje. In every mmos, the experienced players inadvertently tend to forget what it is to be a newcomer and to not know the technical jargon. The acronyms are especially deadly : MJD, MTU, Jspace, ISK, etc etc... EVE is extreme for that :lol:
Personnel Officer
Titus Tallang
Retired Director
Retired Director
Title: Director of Special Projects, Teacher, Puella Magi

Post by Titus Tallang »

Please, by all means - ask if a teacher uses a term you aren't familiar with - this doesn't happen out of malice (or even with intent), it's typically just force of habit rearing its head.

Nobody will mind taking a minute or two to explain the term used, and it might help others that are in the same situation as you!
*creak*
Aren Dar
Title: Senior Diplomat, Graduate

Post by Aren Dar »

Sanje Qi wrote:I am part of Eve -UnI for a month and I have a small suggestion on how to improve the Classes.

Most of the teachers are very experienced players and sometimes I thing is hard for a new player to understand the terms and abbreviations used.
Other than asking in the class channel what the terms mean, the other thing to do is to attend the more basic classes first and getting some practical experience before attending the more advanced ones.

The problem is that even when a term is described, it's often hard to understand the concept it describes unless you have seen it yourself or had it demonstrated.

The other option that can help this step is applying for a mentor.
Paledan Safemal

Post by Paledan Safemal »

What Titus said.

The guy teaching doesn't know you, so here are his options:

1. Assume no-one knows the technical terms and explain everything:
- the new players who would have been too timid to ask are super happy.
- the new players who would otherwise have asked are happy.
- the people who know the terms are bored.
- the people who know the terms and are grumpy think this is condescending and leave.
- the class covers 50% less stuff.

2. Assume the class knows the common terms and will ask about anything else:
- timid new players are frustrated.
- non-timid new players ask questions.
- everybody else has a good time
- the class delivers more content

Between that and habit, most teachers will assume you know the common terms. In all the classes I've been in, both as a student and as a teacher (*), the number of classes where a student was discouraged to ask a teacher for that sort of clarification was, surprisingly enough,
Spoiler
ZERO

(*) I haven't kept track, and both these numbers have probably, and mercifully for my sanity, been long lost, but I'm pretty sure it's a 3-digit number.
Kora K
Title: Graduate

Post by Kora K »

Ii'll just +1 what has been said, and don't be shy to ask. Also, if the teacher is in a middle of a part, drop the question in the chat channel. Someone will answer you 95% of the time before the teacher.
Dunar Dolorgiet
Retired Director
Retired Director
Title: Director of Education, Resident Data Wizard, He Puts On His Robe And Wizard Hat

Post by Dunar Dolorgiet »

We've introduced a new feedback channel for you guys:

http://eveuni.org/classfeedback

It would be great if you could share your experience and thoughts about our classes with us. This would help us a great deal in improving and refining them.

Also by all means continue to post feedback in suggestion in here, the form is an addition ... not a replacement.
Image Image Image Image
Vajqo Ormand

Post by Vajqo Ormand »

I'm not here long, but I would like the classes in the "class library" wiki page to be newer. I mean a lot of them are from 2011 and I guess a lot changed since then, so I don't even watch them because I'm afraid there will be out-of-date.

I would suggest having the recording of the last class of each type there if at all possible. It would require either the teacher or one of the students to record the class but I think it would be worth it. I'm willing to record the classes I attend or stream them to Twitch.

Also, more classes where the teacher shares his screen (like last Planetary Interaction 101) by streaming on Twitch or somewhere. This is a bit problematic, because there is some delay to communication when streaming but it feels more hands-on when you see the actual game rather than just slides - not saying to not use slides altogether, they serve a important role and should be always used to some extent (some classes are entirely out-of-game)

Sorry for the rant :) Hope it won't sound negative or whatever, I just wanted to offer some feedback.
Dunar Dolorgiet
Retired Director
Retired Director
Title: Director of Education, Resident Data Wizard, He Puts On His Robe And Wizard Hat

Post by Dunar Dolorgiet »

Hey Vajqo,

the Class Library wiki page is something that we have on our agenda as it is a far stretch from where we'd like it to be. So yes, I do share your concerns on that point. Feel invited to help us improve it by recording and uploading up-to-date versions of classes :) ( see http://forum.eveuniversity.org/viewtopi ... 72&t=99878). When recording please make sure to ask for permissions before starting the recording.

Screen sharing is one of those things that works great for some cases but is detrimental in others. We purposely leave the media choice to our Teachers and Lecturers. Quite a few have been dabbling with streaming, so I'm confident we see more of it in useful situations.
Image Image Image Image
Doctor Kling

Post by Doctor Kling »

One of the best things is having recordings updated often.
I really want to hear the Black Ops and Scouting lectures but will be working during both...
Ideally if there is a practical portion having someone FRAPS it or otherwise record it would be huge.
The classes I've been able to attend are great, but with my work schedule its tough!