How can we improve our classes?

For information about upcoming EVE University classes.
Forum rules
All class announcements should be posted in the following format: (CLASS) YYYY-MM-DD Name of the class. Once the class is finished please alter the title to say (COMPLETED). If you are interested in running a class, contact our Teaching Department.
Mike Kingswell

Re: How can we improve our classes?

Post by Mike Kingswell »

We are currently revamping our way for sharing content for classes and will keep that in mind.

As for Timezones:
Yeah, those are always a problem and we try to spread our classes out as much as possible. That simply depends on the availability of our great volunteer teachers - so if you know someone who might be able to teach a class or two (or you can do so yourself) feel free to reach out to us :) Never enough ;)
Alumnus, Teacher
Image Image Image Image Image
Lev XII

Post by Lev XII »

Khaeltan Shakiel wrote:
Shauny Tsero wrote:Is it possible we can have more classes during EU time zones as a lot of classes I see are 02:00 UTC(GMT) which is very late, also I see them mostly at weekends which half of them I can not attend.

I understand the need for more teachers which makes this difficult I just wanted to put this out there.
Quoting this comment, I missed out on some really interesting classes due to my timezone, most of them would have been in the middle of the night for me.

Additionally I was thinking that it would be really nice to have a portal of some sort, reserved to uni-members, where recordings and class related material is stored for fruition.
To this end it comes to my mind that a platform like Microsoft Teams allows for automatic recordings of sessions, which could come in handy!

In fact, there is an entire library on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClYJb- ... XMw/videos

While I understand it does not contain the same type of engagement as attending a class and getting a talk through by a live teacher, the recordings on youtube are always there for you if you missed a class but don't want to slog through the reading material on the wiki (though I totally recommend the slog, mmmmm slog)
Leviathan
Anidien Dallacort
Director of Education
Director of Education

Post by Anidien Dallacort »

Getting some more up to date recordings, and in some more up to date formats, is also a Soon(TM) goal.
Anidien Dallacort - Director of Education
Skirmish FC, Graduate

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Casimir 1981

Post by Casimir 1981 »

I dont know if that is possible, but perhaps a few comments on the existing recorded classess about how uptodate they are. When I look at a date a class was rrecorded kind of desitimulates me on watching or listening it.
Athena Firefly
Title: Sophomore

Post by Athena Firefly »

Casimir 1981 wrote:I dont know if that is possible, but perhaps a few comments on the existing recorded classess about how uptodate they are. When I look at a date a class was rrecorded kind of desitimulates me on watching or listening it.
Many of our CORE classes are also recorded and available in our Class Library, and should be applicable (mostly, anyway) since they are reasonably 'up-to-date'.
So if you're looking for some of those specifically, chances are good you'll find it there. It's always worth a look regardless! :)
~~~ I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar! ~~~

Teaching Assistant Manager | Fittings Staff
Former: NSC Manager | NSC Hangar Officer
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Image Image Image Image
Rutjosnabet Longworth
Title: Freshman

Post by Rutjosnabet Longworth »

I have recently managed to attend two great intro lessons from our resident teachers but came a little unstuck around Discord....

Might be worth a quick memo to the teaching staff on the class info write up, that when joining Discord to use the App as opposed to the web browser version as this does not facilitate the live streaming and so the slides can't be seen.

Please imagine an old git, looking slightly like Victor Meldrew screaming and banging the screen (off-mic of course) "I can't see the bloody camera icon next to the teachers name!" - not a pretty picture trust me :oops:
Rutty Po Po
Miner Extraordinaire
Anidien Dallacort
Director of Education
Director of Education

Rutjosnabet Longworth wrote:I have recently managed to attend two great intro lessons from our resident teachers but came a little unstuck around Discord....

Might be worth a quick memo to the teaching staff on the class info write up, that when joining Discord to use the App as opposed to the web browser version as this does not facilitate the live streaming and so the slides can't be seen.

Please imagine an old git, looking slightly like Victor Meldrew screaming and banging the screen (off-mic of course) "I can't see the bloody camera icon next to the teachers name!" - not a pretty picture trust me :oops:
According to Discord’s site, watching a stream can occur through either the installed app, or the Chrome browser client.

https://support.discord.com/hc/en-us/ar ... h-Go-Live-

I’ve added a short blurb about those supported clients, to the “Attending Classes” wiki page:

https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Classes#Public_Discord

I’m also sharing this tidbit with the rest of the teaching department. Thank you for bringing this up!
Skirmish FC, Graduate

Diathen Eridani

Post by Diathen Eridani »

Class slides link included in the class forum announcement post.

Members can then go over the slides a head of the class if desired. Some slides are linked in the description of the youtube posted videos (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClYJb- ... XMw/videos). not sure if that is still a thing.

It could help newer questions be theory based instead of knowledge based.

-Diathen
Anidien Dallacort
Director of Education
Director of Education

Diathen Eridani wrote:Class slides link included in the class forum announcement post.

Members can then go over the slides a head of the class if desired. Some slides are linked in the description of the youtube posted videos (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClYJb- ... XMw/videos). not sure if that is still a thing.

It could help newer questions be theory based instead of knowledge based.

-Diathen
Keep an eye on this wiki page for the CORE classes: https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/CORE_classes

Right now, the links aren't populated. The slide decks are all undergoing review and updates in the teaching department. As that process completes, the links to the CORE classes will become available at an on-demand basis again - reviewable before and after class at leisure.

For non CORE classes, the availability of the deck, will vary by the lecturer (i.e., a special guest lecturer from outside the Uni, will likely be providing their own material, that may or may not become available for distribution outside of the actual class).
Skirmish FC, Graduate

Friedrich Mittermeyer IV

Post by Friedrich Mittermeyer IV »

I recently attended a Skill Planning class and wondered if it would be applicable to add a breakdown of skills to focus on while in high sec / low sec / null sec. From a progression standpoint of while you start out in high sec and do PvE mission, these are "Core Skills" to help survive. Progressing to Low sec PvE missions or mining these are the skills to help you survive due to possible PVP encounters. The same goes for Null sec survivability so that people may get a better understanding of what core skills to keep in mind when they start their skill planning. Unless this new information would add too much time to the current class then maybe an intermediate skill planning class of some sort would be able to cover this kind of subject.
Claidheamh Mor Capercaillie
Title: Sophomore

Post by Claidheamh Mor Capercaillie »

Friedrich Mittermeyer IV wrote: 2021.07.26 22:12 I recently attended a Skill Planning class and wondered if it would be applicable to add a breakdown of skills to focus on while in high sec / low sec / null sec. From a progression standpoint of while you start out in high sec and do PvE mission, these are "Core Skills" to help survive. Progressing to Low sec PvE missions or mining these are the skills to help you survive due to possible PVP encounters. The same goes for Null sec survivability so that people may get a better understanding of what core skills to keep in mind when they start their skill planning. Unless this new information would add too much time to the current class then maybe an intermediate skill planning class of some sort would be able to cover this kind of subject.
It would be difficult to break subjects up according to space security status in many cases. Everything from fittings, to bookmarks, to d-scan, to core skill training plans are designed to help players succeed no matter what area of space they choose to explore.
And also remember that high->low->null is not an actual progression - it is not necessary to start in High Sec doing PvE missions, or to move from High Sec to Low Sec; each type of space in EVE offers its own benefits and drawbacks, and a class that gives a broad overview of this might be helpful, but the CORE classes are designed to provide information that will be useful no matter where you choose to spend your time.
Anidien Dallacort
Director of Education
Director of Education

Friedrich Mittermeyer IV wrote: 2021.07.26 22:12 I recently attended a Skill Planning class and wondered if it would be applicable to add a breakdown of skills to focus on while in high sec / low sec / null sec. From a progression standpoint of while you start out in high sec and do PvE mission, these are "Core Skills" to help survive. Progressing to Low sec PvE missions or mining these are the skills to help you survive due to possible PVP encounters. The same goes for Null sec survivability so that people may get a better understanding of what core skills to keep in mind when they start their skill planning. Unless this new information would add too much time to the current class then maybe an intermediate skill planning class of some sort would be able to cover this kind of subject.
My apologies for not responding to this sooner.

CORE classes cover things at a high level - getting into specific areas of space - or for skill planning, even specific types of play (PvP vs missioning vs mining, etc) - is not really in the scope of a CORE class - the object is to introduce topics, not to cover them comprehensively to the level a veteran player would get everything they needed to know.

The classes would be WAY too long to cover everything!

HOWEVER - ASK QUESTIONS during Q&A - this is the optimal time to ask the teacher more about the topic you are interested in, in terms of what you want to explore on the topic.

I imagine it was me you attended skill planning with - and I was probably begging for questions at the end. I'm serious when I say Q&A is my favorite part of a class- ALWAYS use this part of ANY class, to ask the subject matter expert teaching the class, what you want to know, for your own situation!
Skirmish FC, Graduate

kamaTayun

Post by kamaTayun »

I've looked at the available class library listed in the wiki. There are usually two choices. Am audio file through Google, or YouTube. Both suck, to be Frank. With Google, every link I click sends me to a page where I can request access. Access that never comes. And with YouTube, not only are they years old, but my phone required the screen remain on to listen to them. This eats up battery and data, as should I want to revisit one, I've got to stream it again. If not for these two things, is be eating them up, because those sharing information are mostly ready to listen to
kamaTayun

Post by kamaTayun »

Edit: I can access some of the Google recordings, but not others.
Mike Kingswell

Post by Mike Kingswell »

Hey Kama,

this doesn't solve your immmediate problem but might give you a additonal source of classes/VOD to listen to/watch:

https://forum.eveuniversity.org/viewtop ... 07#p945907
Alumnus, Teacher
Image Image Image Image Image