[CANCELLED] Intro to Counter-Intelligence - 2023-June-14

For information about upcoming EVE University classes.
Forum rules
All class announcements should be posted in the following format: (CLASS) YYYY-MM-DD Name of the class. Once the class is finished please alter the title to say (COMPLETED). If you are interested in running a class, contact our Teaching Department.
Varskle Konulfr

[CANCELLED] Intro to Counter-Intelligence - 2023-June-14

Post by Varskle Konulfr »

Class is tentative, please don't schedule around me. There is a chance the class will be cancelled/moved, pending my work schedule/family life. With that out of the way...

Hello, [REDACTED]:

Welcome to part 2/2 in a series that has gone from 5 parts, to 4 parts... I think you can see where this went. This will be the first time this class has been taught, and I've built it myself. If you enjoyed Intro to Espionage, you'll probably like this as well. It is not required that you have attended my Espionage class to understand this one.

This is a very difficult topic! Counter-intelligence(CI) in EVE shares a lot with cybersecurity, plus the fine balance of trust and fun with protection. Some consider it the hardest career path you can take. I was certainly not expecting this stuff to be as interesting as straight-up espionage. Espionage may not be quite like what you see in the movies, but CI certainly is. Most of the work is done in secret, and 90% of your success is nothing happening. Failure is public and more scrutinized.

CI is all about trying to stay just one step ahead of potential spais. Ethics are also more/less complicated than a spy. You're one of the "good guys"! But, how far is too far? How do you manage a team of agents? How do we deal with defectors and double agents? As this is an introductory course, we'll go over a brief overview of the art of spy-catching without too much depth. It's a game of cat and mouse, and we don't want anyone getting too much of an advantage here.

When: Wednesday, June 14, 2023 - 00:00 EVE Time
Where: Mumble and Discord Classrooms
Duration: <1 hour (± Q/a, discussion time, final edits, screaming children, etc.)
Topics Covered:

-Basics of espionage and counter-intelligence
-Identifying spies
-Tools of counter-intelligence
-Ethics and discussion

Student requirements:
-Mumble registration and access - make sure you have Mumble sorted out and operational well before the class begins. Use this guide for set-up: EVE Uni Mumble
-Access to the EVE Uni Discord Classrooms
Varskle Konulfr

Re: [CANCELLED] Intro to Counter-Intelligence - 2023-June-14

Post by Varskle Konulfr »

I regretfully must reschedule for a later date, TBA.