[COMPLETED] Intro to Espionage - 2023-May-23

For information about upcoming EVE University classes.
Forum rules
All class announcements should be posted in the following format: (CLASS) YYYY-MM-DD Name of the class. Once the class is finished please alter the title to say (COMPLETED). If you are interested in running a class, contact our Teaching Department.
Varskle Konulfr

[COMPLETED] Intro to Espionage - 2023-May-23

Post by Varskle Konulfr »

Class is tentative, please don't schedule around me. There is a chance the class will be moved/cancelled, pending my work schedule/family life (I don't know how any of you with young kids do it). With that out of the way...

Hello, [REDACTED]:

There was a heist in recent news that I had wanted to bring this class up for, however, real-life has gotten in the way.

I taught this class back in December and it seemed to be well received. I was planning on running a second class in this series covering counter-intelligence back in March, but that ended up being postponed. As a refresher for myself (and because I enjoyed teaching this class, as well as plan to run Intro to Counter-Intelligence in June), I'm finally teaching another one of these. Anyways, let's get into it.

Am I a spai? No, but that's just what a spy would tell you....

One of the most unique aspects to EVE that no other game can emulate: the dark world of information warfare and betrayal, and I find it fascinating.

I will say, I scratched the surface shortly before I quit EVE the last time, and had I been able to find these sources, it may not have ended in taking a break. I am by no means an expert. My curiosity is fueled by an extensive, but not deep, background in psychology (there also seems to be many sociologists who have a similar drive).

This is a new(ish) class, and I've spent some time researching materials and forming an introductory course. My hope is to help those curious enough in the topic to dip their toes in what may be one of the most difficult and confusing careers to start in EVE, and to support why this playstyle may actually be good for EVE, instead of a toxic social taboo. But like a magician, a spy will never show his/her tricks. My hope is others will also find this class interesting to teach, and are willing to use their own unique background and perspectives to teach it.

When: Tuesday, May 23, 2023 - 00:00 EVE Time
Where: Mumble and Discord Classrooms
Duration: ~45min, <1 hour (± Q/a, discussion time, screaming children, etc.)
Topics Covered:

-Basics and requirements of espionage
-Getting started and developing a career
-Making ISK and retiring
-Ethics discussion and further reading

Student requirements:
-Mumble registration and access - make sure you have Mumble sorted out and operational well before the class begins. Use this guide for set-up: EVE Uni Mumble
-Access to the EVE Uni Discord Classrooms
Last edited by Varskle Konulfr on 2023.05.23 01:23, edited 1 time in total.
Lexi Von Luna

Re: [CLASS] Intro to Espionage - 2023-May-23

Post by Lexi Von Luna »

Can you post links in Discord?

I wanted to attend but got tied up.
Varskle Konulfr

Re: [COMPLETED] Intro to Espionage - 2023-May-23

Post by Varskle Konulfr »

I posted the slides in discord. I will eventuallyyyyyy have this and my other class recorded.