[COMPLETED] Intro to Espionage - 2022-Dec-30

For information about upcoming EVE University classes.
Forum rules
All class announcements should be posted in the following format: (CLASS) YYYY-MM-DD Name of the class. Once the class is finished please alter the title to say (COMPLETED). If you are interested in running a class, contact our Teaching Department.
Varskle Konulfr

[COMPLETED] Intro to Espionage - 2022-Dec-30

Post by Varskle Konulfr »

Class is tentative, please don't schedule around me. There is a chance the class will be moved later in the day/evening/night or into January, pending my work schedule/family life. With that out of the way...

Hello, [REDACTED]:

Ah! Spai! Yes, 007, a class on the super secretive world of spies.

Am I a spai? No, but that's just what a spy would tell you....

One of the most unique aspects to EVE that no other game can emulate: the dark world of information warfare and betrayal, and I find it fascinating.

I will say, I scratched the surface shortly before I quit EVE the last time, and had I been able to find these sources, it may not have ended in taking a break. I am by no means an expert. My curiosity is fueled by an extensive, but not deep, background in psychology (there also seems to be many sociologists who have a similar drive).

This is a new class, and I've spent some time researching materials and forming an introductory course. My hope is to help those curious enough in the topic to dip their toes in what may be the most difficult and confusing career to start in EVE, and to support why this playstyle may actually be good for EVE, instead of a toxic social taboo. I hope to cover more specific topics down the road if this class is successful, but like a magician, a spy will never show his/her tricks. My hope is others will also find this class interesting to teach, and are willing to use their own unique background and perspectives to teach it.

When: Friday, December 30, 2022 - 14:00 EVE Time (or later)
Where: Mumble and Discord Classrooms
Duration: <1 hour (± Q/a, discussion time, final edits, screaming baby, etc.)
Topics Covered:

-Basics and requirements of espionage
-Getting started and developing a career
-Making ISK and retiring
-Ethics discussion and further reading

Student requirements:
-Mumble registration and access - make sure you have Mumble sorted out and operational well before the class begins. Use this guide for set-up: EVE Uni Mumble
-Access to the EVE Uni Discord Classrooms
Last edited by Varskle Konulfr on 2022.12.30 14:51, edited 3 times in total.
Arkady Marten
Production Manager
Production Manager

Re: [CLASS] Intro to Espionage - 2022-Dec-30

Post by Arkady Marten »

This sounds most interesting! Will make sure to attend.

Will you be able to include an overview of the better-known historical instances of espionage and sabotage in Eve and what made the succeed? I'm sure many attendees would find that a fascinating topic as well.
Image Image
Varskle Konulfr

My original intention was to integrate a short real historical overview and move into a quick overview of the history of infamous spies, go through the meat of the class, and then end with a case study on a spy (which would change with every class), but I hadn't even started working on those slides when I realized I had too much already, and most of it has been cut! I plan to at least briefly mention some of the more infamous spies of EVE in the beginning here, possibly adding some of that material back in if after presenting it looks like I can. If not, possibly a "history of espionage in EVE" class in the future with a case study for a spy? The issue here is that the most successful spies are the ones we don't know exist (and most of the ones I know about have long retired from EVE).

As of right now, I definitely have enough material and slides for an intro to counter-intelligence class and an intro to agent/spy ring management class. I found counter-intelligence a lot more interesting than I originally thought, so I will at least create that deck if everything goes moderately well.
Sir Blackstone III

Post by Sir Blackstone III »

Looking forward to this as I have often wondered how spying works in EVE, and its something different too!
Of course, I'm not going to say which of my alts will actually attend - basic tradecraft :-)
Proud Sophomore of EVE Uni
One of life's great underachievers :lol:
Varskle Konulfr

Re: [COMPLETED] Intro to Espionage - 2022-Dec-30

Thank you all for attending, slides are available for editing or in pdf form if someone would like them or to teach. I don't know when I'll be able to do this class again.

Introduction to counter-intelligence is next!