[Q&A] 2021-11-19 Markets Q&A / AMA

For information about upcoming EVE University classes.
Forum rules
All class announcements should be posted in the following format: (CLASS) YYYY-MM-DD Name of the class. Once the class is finished please alter the title to say (COMPLETED). If you are interested in running a class, contact our Teaching Department.
Alpha GoreSnorkel
Reimbursement Manager
Reimbursement Manager

[Q&A] 2021-11-19 Markets Q&A / AMA

Post by Alpha GoreSnorkel »

Everyone buys or sells something in game within a few days of starting EVE, if not a few hours / minutes. Everyone wants to sell at the highest price, and buy at the lowest, but how do you do that when everyone else wants to do the same thing?

When: Friday 19th November, 22:00 EVE Time
Where: EVE Uni Discord and EVE Uni Public Mumble
Duration: 1 hour

Topics Covered:
Most of the Q&A will be made up of questions asked by YOU! So reply to this post and make suggestions so that I can read out the questions during the class and give the answers.
That said, here are some topics I suspect we'll cover;
  • Taxes and Fees
  • Trade skills
  • How to set prices
  • How to manage risk
  • How to buy and sell in bulk
Student requirements:
  • Have at least one question to ask! Preferrably post a response to this post and state your question there, if not bring it on the night.
  • Public Mumble registration and access - make sure you have Mumble sorted out and operational well before the class begins. Use this guide for set-up: http://eveuni.org/publicmumble
  • Access to the Class (EVE Uni) in-game chat channel
Additional information: This class is a Q&A / Ask Me Anything (AMA), delivered in public Mumble, Discord, and the Class (EVE Uni) channel. There is no practical component.
Swimming in 12 foot of gore with a 6 foot snorkel
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Gryff Jones

Re: [Q&A] 2021-11-19 Markets Q&A / AMA

Post by Gryff Jones »

Many thanks Alpha, looking forward to this class!

1. Any tools to scan the markets looking for suitable buy/sell margins

2. Once you have a bigger chunk of ISK, say 1 Billion+, do you go for a) lots of orders covering a wide range of items, b) keep a smaller manageable list of orders with higher buy/sell prices/margins, c) just buy a lot more of the same items (1,000,000 ammo instead of 10,000), d) something else :-) I've made my 1st Billion but the 2nd feels harder/taking longer...

3. How to analyse the market history charts.

4. How to interpret the EVE Monthly Economic reports

5. How important are standings vs skilling for the big traders

6. ROI vs Net Margin, which is "best" measure of how good a trade is.

7. Rapid turnover/narrow margin vs high margin/slow turnover

I'm sure I'll have more by the time of the Q&A :-)
Last edited by Gryff Jones on 2021.11.08 17:25, edited 1 time in total.
Mynutor

Post by Mynutor »

How do you insert the sell/buy price of an item into a google spreadsheet automatically?
Mosq
Community Director
Community Director

Post by Mosq »

Mynutors question is my main question as well.

Next to that: I've tried a couple of different methods to make updating orders less of a hassle, and am very interested in how you keep track of / update them. There might be some way I am not aware of.
Uranium Smith

Post by Uranium Smith »

Similar to Mosq's question in nature - are there any tools that notify you if you've been undercut and if so how much can those tools help automate the process of undercutting the competition without breaking the EVE EULA?

I see something like this upon doing a quick Google search and wonder how close to the line this guy is getting in the MP4 video:
https://forums.eveonline.com/t/market-o ... ool/109181
Salartarium

Post by Salartarium »

I'm lazy and have little interest in player trading activities. I currently just travel to Jita whenever I need to buy something and then sell all my excess items. I know there's a lot of stuff to consider like Perimeter and other markets, loot sheets, hauling contracts, etc.

What are the optimal approaches to buying and selling if I want to spend little of my own time on market activities?
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Salartarium

Post by Salartarium »

Thanks for the Q&A!

I'm a little more confident now that I can do some sell orders by looking at price history and volume. Hopefully, I will leave less isk on the table and maybe be less averse to market activities.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage