[COMPLETED] 2019-01-31 12:30 Fitting Workshop

Forum rules
All class announcements should be posted in the following format: (CLASS) YYYY-MM-DD Name of the class. Once the class is finished please alter the title to say (COMPLETED). If you are interested in running a class, contact our Teaching Department.
<<

Kyle Hargrove

Portrait

Fittings Manager
Fittings Manager

Post 2019.01.25 19:47

[COMPLETED] 2019-01-31 12:30 Fitting Workshop

Many say that the Australian timezone doesn't get content. They're wrong! Many also say that ship fitting is a game of its own in EVE. Well, on this, I agree. Fitting is complex, stimulating, nuanced and just so much fun if you're anything like me. And chances are that if you're playing EVE Online, I bet you're at least somewhat like me. Sorry about that.

This is not your run-of-the-mill class.

In this class, we only have a short 10-minute "lecture". In the segment, I present one advanced concept involving ship fitting (which one? you'll need to attend: it changes every time ;) ).

Then, the class becomes much more free-form: I will (hopefully) be joined by a co-instructor, and we'll propose you some "fitting challenges" to flex your theorycrafting muscles.

Some fitting challenges are more like "exercises", where you need to find the solution to a fitting question that we'll give either using good fitting practices... Or by using totally unorthodox ones.

Most challenges, however, are in the form of "how would you solve this problem?". Here, the goal is just to come up with something, and discuss why and how you got to that choice. We all learn from each other, and usually even me and the other instructors gain new knowledge!

How many challenges we'll do is up to you and how the discussion goes, but usually we do five or six, and we have a library of more than 40 (and growing!). You can also bring your own fitting challenge that we'll add to the library, so I guarantee that this won't be repetitive...

Be advised: This is an advanced class, and one that relies heavily on direct participation of attendees. It is not the goal of this class to teach you how to fit your shiny new ship, at least not directly. If you just want to listen in, you're more than welcome, but I encourage you to try and participate. The environment will be very inclusive, and if you were to just listen, you'd mostly hear the sound of churnin' neurons while people are fiddling on PyFa.

Essential Details
  • Instructor: Kyle Hargrove
  • When: 2019-01-31 12:30 EVE Time
  • Duration: Between 1.5 and 2 hours

Class overview
  • 5' - Introduction
  • 10' - One "advanced" fitting topic
  • ~75/90' - Fitting challenges (see above)

Student requirements
  • Public Mumble registration and access
  • Access to the 'Class (EVE Uni)' in-game chat channel
  • VLC Media Player installed (for accessing my screencast - find the program at http://www.videolan.org/vlc/)
  • Good familiarity with ship fitting and the ship fitting process
  • Good familiarity with PyFa or other fitting tool (I'll be using PyFa though)

'straya! South-East Asia! This one is for you! I mean, there might be the occasional oddball EUTZ person that is taking a longer lunch break to play internet spaceships (hint: one of the instructors), but this is intended for you lovely folks! I'm not 100% sure that this is a good time for you all, though, so please tell me if you can't make it, and I'll try to reschedule it to a better timeslot. Another class is going to be announced in more normal time for EUTZ people in the next week, so stay tuned for that.

Additional notes: If you like theorycrafting and want to host or co-host this type of class, let me know and I'll be happy to help. Also, I'm bad at Photoshop, so if you have a better idea for the class logo, you're more than welcome to help.

Should you have any other questions, ask away in this thread!

Hope to see you there! :D
<<

Ian Tucenghi

Portrait

Coordinator

Post 2019.01.31 20:59

Re: [CLASS] 2019-01-31 12:30 Fitting Workshop

Hi Kyle,

I would love to attend your fitting class but 12:30 EVE time is midnight here in Australia. Is it possible to schedule it a bit early?

Thank you.
INCURSION
COORDINATOR

<<

Kyle Hargrove

Portrait

Fittings Manager
Fittings Manager

Post 2019.02.01 07:28

Re: [COMPLETED] 2019-01-31 12:30 Fitting Workshop

Hey Ian! Sorry, I wasn't sure about the timings... I'll plan another one in the future for a better time!

Return to Scheduled Classes