COMPLETED [CLASS] Intro to D-Scanning and Safe Spots

Forum rules
All class announcements should be posted in the following format: (CLASS) YYYY-MM-DD Name of the class. Once the class is finished please alter the title to say (COMPLETED). If you are interested in running a class, contact our Teaching Department.
<<

lobevaser

Portrait

Post 2018.12.01 00:25

COMPLETED [CLASS] Intro to D-Scanning and Safe Spots

Intro to D-Scanning and Safe Spots ,
The directional scanner can be used either defensively with full range and angle (allowing the user to see all ships or probes that may pose threat), or offensively to gather intel on things that are off grid. This includes getting enemy fleet composition or approximate location of objects.

A safe spot is a location in space away from any celestials that pilots warp to for purposes of evading hostiles or hiding their valuables (emergency jetcans of ammo, etc). It is important that safe spots not be located at or immediately near any celestials as hostiles can readily warp to those locations, and they can easily travel thousands of kilometers to reach pilots. Therefore, good safe spots are at least a few hundred thousand KM from any celestial, but are generally much farther away.

When: December , 15 , 2018 0100 Eve time
Where: Mumble and Class (Eve UNI) Amygnon - Citadel 101
Duration: 2 hour ( or more if Needed )

Topics Covered: D-Scan and Safe Spots
The directional scanner does not scan the space automatically, instead it must be operated manually. Every time the scan button or hotkey is pressed the list in the directional scanner window updates to show all visible objects within the scan cone. The scan will also refresh after changing range, angle or filter in directional scanner. It also refreshes after jumping into another system. After a scan it takes two seconds for the scanner to reset, after which you can initiate another scan.
Safe spots are generally static bookmarks to empty locations in space. To be effective, it works best to have multiple safe spots per system, as hostiles can scan down a ship in 30 seconds or less. As such, it may be necessary to warp between safe spots in order to actually remain safe. A pilot who sits at a safe spot (uncloaked) for more than 30 seconds runs the risk of being located. Any safe spots used in evading hostiles should be deleted once the threat has passed, as hostiles will sometimes bookmark your safe spots and be ready to engage you there in the future.
Q&A

Student requirements:
Public Mumble registration and access - make sure you have Mumble sorted out and operational well before the class begins. Use this guide for set-up: http://eveuni.org/publicmumble
Access to the Class (Eve UNI) in-game chat channel
Ship Types - Any small ship will do . ( If you can fly a recon ship that can cloak bring that )

Additional information: This class is a Hands On delivered in public Mumble and the Class (Eve UNI) channel.
<<

Manolius Theodorous

Portrait

Post 2018.12.15 04:04

Re: 2018-12-15 [CLASS] Intro to D-Scanning and Safe Spots

Thank you very much for the training.
Nice Class very informative about Dscan, overview settings and safe bookmarks.

If I had to improve something I would do the following two
1) I would make it a little shorter on the duration.
2) Maybe go through the whole slides first and then pass to actual training as to not have on and off on the game and the slides.
<<

Anor Noban

Portrait

Post 2018.12.15 14:07

Re: 2018-12-15 [CLASS] Intro to D-Scanning and Safe Spots

Manolius Theodorous wrote:Thank you very much for the training.
Nice Class very informative about Dscan, overview settings and safe bookmarks.

If I had to improve something I would do the following two
1) I would make it a little shorter on the duration.
2) Maybe go through the whole slides first and then pass to actual training as to not have on and off on the game and the slides.

I would agree with Manolius...very informative but doing the slides and the overview setting would have helped me tremendously up front. Learned a bunch thanks! I am glad we got the slides to work finally.

Return to Scheduled Classes