Forum rules
This forum can be viewed by the public.
<<

Liara Zhang

Portrait

Post 2016.06.13 20:06

Parsing Data From EVE API: Market Volume Data

Hey everybody,

I currently have a Tradesheet that allows me to look at the minimum and maximum buy and sell prices, respectively, in many of EVE's largest Empire space trade hubs.

It utilizes an API call:
http://api.eve-central.com/api/marketstat?typeid=
As well as the typeid for each system - for example, 30000142 for Jita.

The spreadsheet is based in Excel 2013 and I used the formula:
=FILTERXML(WEBSERVICE(CONCATENATE(Sell_Swap & TypeID&B3)),"//sell/min")
as well as the formula:
=FILTERXML(WEBSERVICE(CONCATENATE(Buy_Swap & TypeID&B3)),"//buy/max")
in conjunction with a drop-down list that ensures the Tradesheet is pulling data from the correct system API in order to generate a list of gross margin data, the taxes I will have to pay, my net margins, and finally, my net percentage margins.

I want one other piece of information though - the volume of items being traded in the system. I believe this data exists - I've seen that the EVE central market website has data on the volumes of items traded.

If I can combine my net percentage data with volume data, I'll be able to pinpoint the best items to invest in for maximum profits in the shortest amounts of time.

Does anyone have any idea what I'd need to replace "//sell/min" with in order to generate a new swap column for my Tradesheet?

If I can complete my "Tradesheet 3.0" I'd be happy to share it with the UNI.
<<

Melkor Gengod

Portrait

Post 2016.06.13 23:27

Re: Parsing Data From EVE API: Market Volume Data

The "volume on the Eve Central API isn't the volume traded, it is the volume that is currently on the market in that region. Up until a couple of months ago, it was possible to get the data you are looking for from the Eve Market Data API, however over time, the guy behind EvemarketData.com was struggling to dedicate the time to it that it needed and the volume traded API became unreliable for anywhere not Jita. A few months ago, he made the decision to sell up and a couple of other guys have taken on the site, however the code wasn't in a good place through neglect and they have a mammoth task to get it right. Due to this, the volume API is currently in hiatus and I don't know if they are planning on starting it up again.

I believe the data you need may be available from CREST, but I'm not sure, I keep on meaning to look into CREST, but at the moment for me, time * effort = too little reward.
What I know is that CREST data comes back as JSON, which unless you know Visual Basic, I wouldn't even consider. Google Docs however has a few tools to help out, checkout Fuzzy Steves blog for details (https://www.fuzzwork.co.uk/)

To answer your question, what you need is "//sell/volume" and "//buy/volume", but you wont get the answers you are looking for, just the total volumes of buy and sell orders in your region
<<

Liara Zhang

Portrait

Post 2016.06.14 00:50

"//sell/volume" and "//buy/volume" is crude, but it will actually work fine for my purposes, because I plan to take this a step further.
I'm really into machine learning right now. My ultimate goal is to periodically (every 6 hours or so) save a "snapshot" of the market within a system - this includes all the data I mentioned previously.
In a few months, when I'm looking at thousands of spreadsheets, I'll feed the data into a machine learning platform in the hopes of gaining some extremely powerful prediction tools for every market hub. From there I just need to seed a couple characters in each hub to take advantage and I'll be in the money.

Thanks so much for your response. This project is a little ambitious, but if I start to see results I'll gladly share my success with anyone willing to try my method out.
<<

Melkor Gengod

Portrait

Post 2016.06.14 06:44

Just be wary. The volume currently on the market doesn't have any statistical significance that I am aware of. It is something that can fluctuate on a whim as people dump holdings. Eg I put 2500 Ogre I on Jita the other day that I found laying around in a hanger from when I built drones 18 months ago. That volume will have a significant impact on the volume reported by the api but I doubt it will have any impact on prices or volume sold as eve trading is unique in the sense that it is possible to undercut another price without changing the price (the 0.1 isk war) so the typical aspect relating to oversupply in the supply vs demand model doesn't have as much impact in eve as it does in the real world.

The opposite is also true. Undersupply will force a price up, but that increase cause 2 things, a reduction in sales as experienced players know how much they expect to pay, but also a flurry of regional trade and industry activity which resets the supply and also the price pretty swiftly.

I am of course talking about the main trade hubs, the backwaters are thier own special snowflakes.
<<

Zane Powers

Portrait

Post 2016.11.28 17:05

Liara Zhang wrote:"I'm really into machine learning right now. My ultimate goal is to periodically (every 6 hours or so) save a "snapshot" of the market within a system - this includes all the data I mentioned previously.

Any progress on this? I've known a lot of people who play current markets, but never someone to build a prediction system. Any luck fitting your data to a good model for machine learning?

Return to Research, Production and Trade