So I Want To Start Trading Where Do I Start

Forum rules
This forum can be viewed by the public.
<<

Matthew Brelvar (Biomassed 2016.04.30)

Portrait

Post 2016.04.17 15:34

So I Want To Start Trading Where Do I Start

I want to start trading but it feels really scary lol i dont know where to start what are the best ways for a new player :) o7
<<

LeFleur

Portrait

Post 2016.04.17 19:40

Re: So I Want To Start Trading Where Do I Start

You first need to decide which type of trader are you going to be. There are station traders, that don't leave station, and either buy and sell in that station or use contracts to get things to them and to other markets. Then there's the transporting merchant, that buy in one place, transports the stuff and then sells it into other place. There's also the industrialist/merchant, that produces things and sells them.

Then there's another type of classification. There are margin traders, that live for that 0,01 isk price change that makes them the most profit, quick sells and quick cash turnaround, with tiny profit for each item but big number of items to make up profit by scale instead of by each sale. There is also the market manipulator, that plays the market by buying ans selling, deforming the price till he makes his big move and cashes out. Then there's also the patient merchant, that fixes a price and seldom moves it, projecting to sell now and also in the next time the market goes to his price again, with bigger margins per item and slow sales.

In truth, each merchant follows more than one of these paths, applying it to each item in a differential way, some for a fast sell to recover capital and some with a slower more profitable sell to make a difference, for example.

As in every activity in this game, it takes money to make money, so getting the first part fo the capital is the tricky part. I personally did it by taking advantage of a market manipulator that was working on certain skillbooks in certain areas, and selling at 10X buying price instead of his 20 times. In that inflated market, I was an isntant hit. But this was some years ago, I don't know if that is possible now.
<<

BobbyRush

Portrait

Post 2016.04.18 11:58

If you're willing to move some items around then I found an easy way to make money trading is:

Find a popular mission hub, near a market hub (for example there's an SOE L4 agent near Jita...)
Place buy orders in the L4 station for meta-level items that people use for fitting/skill reasons (things like warp scrams/webs/all classes of high-calibre weapons)
Move items to market hub
Sell for more than you bought (You'll probably want to use sell orders rather then sell to buy orders)

This will be made easier if your mission hub and market hub are in the same region so you can modify your buy/sell orders while in space.

*WATCH OUT FOR GANKERS IF YOU ARE MOVING HIGH VOLUMES OF PRODUCT*

This is a guide I read eons ago: http://greedygoblin.blogspot.co.uk/p/ne ... n-eve.html
Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image

<<

LeFleur

Portrait

Post 2016.04.18 12:18

And of course, if you are going to a trade hub, don't go in your Eve University character,use an alt. Also, while using all your money to buy and then sell it's the most profitable way, you are flying something you can't afford to lose. So pace yourself, and leave recovery money or items behind in case you lose the rest.
<<

Felix Jugo

Portrait

Post 2016.04.23 05:35

What you need to get started is a market - someone who needs to buy something you can sell. Fortunately you are already an expert in one area: things that new players need. Based on your own experience you know what kind of gear you needed in your first few days of playing, what loot you were quick to sell (perhaps too quick to sell) and how frustrating it could be to need to buy some specific thing five jumps away from where you needed it. You have an information advantage over older players here, and that's something you can exploit.

Two options for a brand-new trader:

1) Buy things on buy orders in trade hubs and sell on on longest possible duration sell orders in a place that new players play. Compare prices at the hub to prices in your sell-region before buying. Don't haul using your Eve-Uni character!

2) In the places you played in your first few days of eve, place buy orders. Free advice: in the past it was true that new players often sold skillbooks for a tenth of their market value, then needed to buy them back later.
Image Image Image Image Image

Return to Research, Production and Trade