Seeking advice on starting manufacturing

For questions about manufacturing and trading.
Forum rules
This forum can be viewed by the public.
Rainely

Seeking advice on starting manufacturing

Post by Rainely »

Hey EUNI,

I'm a newbro in eve (now just hitting my third month ) and in that time I've tried a little of everything, I realised that I really enjoyed the mining / indy side of the game but the attempts I've made as entering the market have been unsuccessful.

I started with rigs and have made a few that have been at around the 1 mil profit margin after buying materials/tax/brokers fees etc, so I did enough runs for about 8 hours of manufacturing so I could pick them up at work later and then put them up on the market, which was then undercut minutes later ,since then that price has plummeted and I no longer make any profit on those rigs and I'm left with a stock of them.

Sorry for the wall of text but I needed to explain that to ask my following questions:

The rigs I've built ,should I put them back up at an acceptable price that will stil get me profit original price for a month and let them sit there ,or should I hold onto them, make a note of what they should atleast sell for for profit and then place them on the market once the prices rise ?

How did you start your manufacturing career ?

Should I spend some time learning one of the tools available to me for manufacturing IPH for example

How soon should I start collecting BPO's instead of using BPC's

Do I need to be skilling refining and refining my ores instead of selling it and using that money to buy the materials I need

Sorry of these questions seem stupid but I can't find much about indy that's up to date at the moment and thank you for any responses in advance.
Zeerse Solaris
Title: Diplomat, AMC Officer, Mentor, Bloober, Teacher, Graduate

Re: Seeking advice on starting manufacturing

Post by Zeerse Solaris »

Right first and foremost, you'll see people post their opinions and pretend these are facts to these types of questions.

1) The current rig stockpile you have. This depends how urgently you need isk, sounds like there is no urgent need so I would leave them as they are, some null block might come along and bulk purchase everything priced cheaper than yours, you never know. But you don't say where you have them for sale, which is important, if it's you've put them up locally in Stacmon for example, you may be waiting for nothing, if they're at a trade hub I'd leave them.

2) I started by deciding to make what I needed for my own ships, I don't mean t1 variants as these are mostly bad but aiming towards T2, and with research times to improve efficiency, I could plug those BPOs in and leave them while I trained up relevant t2 skills. I think my first t2 item was microwarpdrives because CCP forgot about PI on those.

3) Industry tools, this depends how obsessed with profit you are. If you're buying materials for your industry then probably yes. If you mine or explore for your rig materials, you can be less concerned other than remembering your time is isk, self supplying materials is another thing people get obsessed with. Keep in mind by the time you make something thats good isk per hour, so have umpteen other people and it may have changed by the time you put yours on the market. Keep an eye on game changing updates from CCP, buffs to a ship or module may make them more desirable and it can be worth building in anticipation of those.

4) BPOs, yes. I assume you're buying BPCs which have a cost so it's worth investing in your BPOs. Although if you're using the Uni's BPO library to make copies then this doesn't matter as much, but I prefer my own BPOs as even with the uni library, it just takes once person to tie up a BPO making copies when you wanted to use it yourself for it to be annoying.

5) Refining skills. For minerals that you mine yourself and then use in industry this makes sense. You really have to assess the time spent on learning refining skills for ores you don't have access to regularly. For example the null sec ores are needed in smaller quantities you you could spend a couple of months on those skills for not that great a return vs just buying the minerals.

If you're making isk in other ways to offset potential losses, I'd say relax and learn as you go, if you're sticking to small scale T1 items, you can't go that for wrong and scale up when you feel you know what you're doing.

I nearly forgot, get a market alt with good purchasing skills to lower sales tax etc, this may mean getting could standings with the npc corp owning the market hub station too.
E-uni Teacher:: Apply to be a teacher
E-uni Mentor: Apply to be a mentor
Rainely

Post by Rainely »

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Is there any tools you would recommend that help with tracking all stages of production or restocking ?
Zeerse Solaris
Title: Diplomat, AMC Officer, Mentor, Bloober, Teacher, Graduate

Post by Zeerse Solaris »

Rainely wrote: 2022.06.26 12:56 Thanks for taking the time to reply. Is there any tools you would recommend that help with tracking all stages of production or restocking ?
Nothing I use, I am pretty bad at raw material stock levels, especially now I no longer have fuel overheads on my own structures, I am not that worried when I need to wait on material buy orders to be completed.

You'll probably need a spreadsheet but you'll probably find you'll want to track things slightly differently to how anyone else does it. IPH is good for telling you the raw materials needed, so would be a start.
E-uni Teacher:: Apply to be a teacher
E-uni Mentor: Apply to be a mentor