PI efficiency

For questions on nomming rocks and planetary interaction.
Forum rules
This forum can be viewed by the public.
Edswifa Rova
Title: Sophomore

PI efficiency

Post by Edswifa Rova »

Hi,

I have a couple of questions to ask of the PI experts regarding efficiency of the production process, but first I will set the scene.
I have a single alt who has been running 6 planets in highsec (I know null will make more ISK) producing P1 for a long time now, purely for a bit of passive income. But I have decided to shake it up and change over to producing P3 in highsec.
If P3 is just downright stupid in highsec, then I can drop to producing P2 instead.
So here comes the questions.

First question is on extraction, is it better to extract faster than the factories can process into P1 and keep the excess P0 in storage, or is it better to replace the storage with more P1 factories consuming faster than the extractor?

Second question is more production related, is it better to only produce P1 on the extraction planets and then produce P2 -> P3 on your factory planet, or produce P2 on your extraction planets and then only produce P3 on a factory planet?

Hope these questions make sense.
Cheers for your time.
AMC Officer ( Hauling, Buyback )
  • ImageImageImageImage
Anidien Dallacort

Re: PI efficiency

Post by Anidien Dallacort »

Question 1) It comes down to maximizing the use of your planet's PG/CPU. Ideally, you would only extract exactly as much R0 as you needed to keep your higher level factories on the planet, constantly running. Since that's a pipe dream - the goal is to keep your factories constantly running. Over-extracting is better than under-extracting. But all over-extracting lets you do, is keep your factories running and not reset your extractors for a while.

If you could add another industrial facility if you cut a few extractor heads out, and keep those additional industrial facilities supplied - it's better to cut the extractor heads and add the industrial facility.

Question 2) This is a good thing to spreadsheet. Every item you export and then import to another planet, is 1.5 times the tax for that item (1 full tax for export, 0.5 tax for import). P1 is 400 ISK per unit times the tax rate. P2 is 7,200 ISK per unit times the tax rate. Given equal tax rates on the export and import planet - It takes 80 P1 to make 5 P2 - so the P1 is 48000 ISK times the tax rate (80 units * 400 ISK/unit * 1.5 tax), and the resultant P2 is 54,000 ISK times the tax rate. Moving the P1 is better tax wise - but takes more effort to move.

If the export and import planet have different tax rates, though - you need to do the math to determine the better plan.

You should also keep your P3 factory planet inputs in mind - the best use of planets, often comes from ensuring they are constantly supplied with inputs.

In general - ensure you are going to turn a profit off of your P3 factories - opportunity cost included. P1 to P3 factories is what I try to run. Since the industry changes that made P1 more valuable (Through including P1 directly into the new sub components for battleship + builds) - P1 to P3 factories have been difficult to turn a profit. It can be more valuable, to simply sell the P1 - though it's harder to move to a trade hub due to the volume of the goods.

Run the numbers, and see what works best for you! Don't forget to consider market volumes, when determining how to proceed - it's great if you can produce 10,000 of something a week, but if it only sells 1,000 units per week on average - it might be hard to move that volume of the good.
Anidien Dallacort - Teaching Officer, Mentor, Sophomore

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Edswifa Rova
Title: Sophomore

Re: PI efficiency

Post by Edswifa Rova »

Thanks for the detailed answers.
I assumed over extracting was better but I started doubting myself after watching the PI video on talking stations.

Maybe I should continue with the P1 while the manufacturing costs are out of whack
AMC Officer ( Hauling, Buyback )
  • ImageImageImageImage