Efficiency

Forum rules
This forum can be viewed by the public.
<<

Edswifa Rova

Portrait

Post 2019.10.19 13:34

Efficiency

Is there an easy way to determine if it’s cheaper to buy the mineral or mine the ore?
    ImageImageImage
<<

Ernesto Guevarti

Portrait

Post 2019.10.19 14:45

Re: Efficiency

From an effort point of view, its always best to earn the isk using your most efficient and/or enjoyable method (and that will vary based on what you do and like doing) and then use that money to buy the minerals.

Even if you love mining and its your most efficient isk making activity, minimise the effort by mining the most profitable ore, getting someone to refine it as efficiently as possible and then sell the resulting mineral excess for isk and use that to buy the missing minerals you need.

If you get enjoyment out of the whole I got everything myself sense of accomplishement, that's fine, but you have to realise its not about efficiency and effort then, but that doesn't make it any less valid for you
Daniel Wittaker wrote:You could have a bright career ahead of you in Goonforums. That's some upvote-quality Helldump posting. Well done, sir.
<<

Anidien Dallacort

Portrait

Post 2019.10.19 15:45

I'm not sure I'm following what you are asking, entirely.

One (buying the mineral) is measured in ISK, the other (mining the ore) in time.

Are you going for figuring out if the raw ore is currently worth more than the minerals it yields? https://ore.cerlestes.de/ore provides that, if you:

Enter your refining yield correctly in the lower box (noting that you can only enter one at a time, so have to change to compare different ores if your refining values differ)

Turn on "Compare Prices to Refined Value".
<<

Owain abArawn

Portrait

Post 2019.10.19 22:33

Unless you have high refining skills, you should sell the ore, otherwise you lose isk. You can use the isk to buy minerals with less loss, or you can use the UNI Perfect Refine service to have someone refine for you if you are after minerals and not isk.
<<

Edswifa Rova

Portrait

Post 2019.10.20 11:57

Basically if I wanted to acquire a mineral, say Pyerite for example.

I want to know if it would be cheaper for me to just buy the mineral or is the effort of mining scordite and using the refining service of AMC cheaper.

I realise there is an isk vs time element here, and wanted to know how to calculate the better option.
    ImageImageImage
<<

Cassiel Seraphim

Portrait

Post 2019.10.20 12:16

Edswifa Rova wrote:I realise there is an isk vs time element here, and wanted to know how to calculate the better option.
Take the amount of minerals you need, see how much it costs to simply buy them. Then consider how long it takes to manually mine the ore. Finally compare that to any other ISK-making activity you can do.

Say you need minerals worth 100 million ISK. Mining it yourself takes 3 hours. Some other activity yields you 50 mil/hour (this could be anything, mining a different more high-value ore or something non-mining related). If you mine it you spend 3 hours doing it, but if you do that other activity for 2 hours and make 100 mil you can immediately go buy the minerals and be done in much less time. There's also some softer calculations that might be hard to factor in, like how long it'll take to get stuff refined, travel time to and from hubs to do exchanges etc. But bottom line is that if you're looking at it from a time-saving perspective, doing the most efficient ISK/hour activity and simply buying what you need is often the least time-consuming option.

But like Ernesto Guevarti said, there's often a lot more to it for most people, as purely being time-efficient isn't always the top priority for everyone :)
<<

Edswifa Rova

Portrait

Post 2019.10.20 13:42

Thanks for the input guys.
I think I will buy the minerals when I need them in a hurry.
    ImageImageImage

Return to Mining & Planetary Interaction