What mining ship to use + PI ?

Forum rules
This forum can be viewed by the public.
<<

Milai Isagar

Portrait

Post 2018.10.27 20:56

What mining ship to use + PI ?

Absolute beginner to mining but I want to earn some isk so I can buy stuff... so here goes
1. what barge would be best for moon mining and where can i find some fit suggestions (was thinking about a mack)
2. should I keep any of the ore if i want to play with production or is it better to just sell it to buyback to get some isk flowing
3. can I set up PI while living in the Solitude campus
4. should i start training my production skills so I can do something with the PI i'm going to be extracting - if so which first

I know all these questions are probably answered in different posts but I did have a look and couldn't find anything completely up to date for the new moon mining... although i suspect a barge fit is a barge fit

thanks in advance
<<

Zoltan Irvam

Portrait

Post 2018.10.28 18:12

Re: What mining ship to use + PI ?

Hi,

what Barge is best, really depends on whether you mine alone or in a fleet. For mining alone, Retriever/Mack are best - just don't get ganked, although I think Solitude has less Code than elsewhere in Hisec.

If you want to try building stuff, by all means refine some of the ore for yourself, but refining well for profit takes a lot of skilpoints... you might want to try to find a perfect refiner at your Campus if you need a large amount refined.

For PI, I would recommend to go to Nullsec - extraction rates in Hisec are not really worth it. You need to learn how to fly without being killed, of course - the Null/WH Epithal fit from the wiki is warmly recommended.

Using your own PI to build stuff is not so easy - the only simple products to make from PI are Fuel Blocks (together with Ice) and Nanite repair paste. Both of these are in demand, but I think if you just want to earn ISK, a well chosen P2 product can net you more.

Then there is of course T2 production (P2 and P3) and structure building (P4) - both need a fair bit of skill invest to do properly.

Zoltan
<<

Erwin Madelung

Portrait

Post 2018.10.29 13:59

Milai Isagar wrote:1. what barge would be best for moon mining and where can i find some fit suggestions (was thinking about a mack)

It was already said that it depends. But not only if you mine alone but also the kind of space your in: HighSec, LowSec, NPC NullSec, or sov NullSec. I'm not really competent regarding the different barges but you need to specify so that others can give proper advise. Basic fits should be in the wiki btw.

Milai Isagar wrote:3. can I set up PI while living in the Solitude campus

Yes, you can. HighSec might not be soo great. You can also use Solitude LowSec. In the end NullSec is definitely best for PI. On the other hand it also means to move things if you want the PI somewhere else in the end so it's a trade off.
Milai Isagar wrote:4. should i start training my production skills so I can do something with the PI i'm going to be extracting - if so which first

You have to do some research what is worthwhile to produce. If you produce Nanite repair paste in HighSec you'd actually make a small loss. For simple estimates see https://www.fuzzwork.co.uk/blueprint/?typeid=28668 (in this example nanite repair paste). Thus, it's really really difficult to tell people what to produce. Consider it part of the gameplay to do your own research on that.

Further, I have to advise you to use alts for mining and industry. Your main is usually best used for PvP skills (and PvE because they are basically the same). If you use alts for mining and income you can further place them anywhere which means a lot of advantages.
<<

Locke Eistiras

Portrait

Post 2018.11.13 06:49

From experience within the uni and outside of the uni I will share some knowledge with you. If you want to make isk do not rely on mining, it is literally a trap and you will rarely get enough to progress at the rate you expect....unless you have a plan. Make a plan for what you want to build or make, if you don't want ot do that use PI for passive income. Ignore mining except for running with gas fleets to get that sweet sweet 320/540. The reason I say this is that you will then make good isk, learn dscan, and learn how to scan down anoms. Eve is a giant shell game covered in a glorified skinner box. To make consistent isk and have long term fun in hte game you either need a solid plan or get very very good at any one area of the game. I reccomend scanning as there is never enough scanners to help guys get to places undetected. Good scouts are also always hard to come by and scan down anoms that are level fours make great isk. To give you some background I run 3 rorquals, have perfect refining skills, and really good PI skills. Learned that no matter how well you do as a miner there is always someone else bot mining or multiboxing 10+ rorquals so you can never really get ahead. You try to swing the market they just eat you for breakfast. But scanning and scouting you can't bot with it, you can't do it inactively. Learn those skills and then you become valuable and when you aren't market dependant you can set your own price and alliances will pay handsomely for it. Should you choose to do the mining/building let me know and I can provide some decent BPC's to really get you going and a solid start. I look forward to seeing where you progress and have a lot of fun.

Return to Mining & Planetary Interaction