Moon mining changes

Forum rules
This forum can be viewed by the public.
<<

Larson Tetartos

Portrait

Post 2018.07.30 02:01

Moon mining changes

Ok, so I had played long ago, and have come back and trying to get up to speed. One of the areas that is really interesting to me is T2 production, but it seems it all requires moon goo. From what I can tell the moon mining process has changes significantly from when I was last playing, and now appears to be more focused on actually mining rocks which seems cool. That raises a bunch of questions for me though:

Practically speaking, what does it take to have your own moon, and would you want to? What's the ongoing cost to run an extractor?
    How many moons would you have to be able to access to be able to build most of what you would reasonably care about?
    Has anybody done the math on mining moon goo vs. just buying it on the open market? I've googled some, but no idea really where to start

I've been working on the Wiki as a way of refamiliarizing myself with the content, so if I can get some good responses I'm happy to try and update it, just trying to better understand the current options.
<<

Zoltan Irvam

Portrait

Post 2018.07.30 09:29

Re: Moon mining changes

Hi,

moon mining was changed from a mainly passive source of income where moon go was extracted without much player interaction in your POS into an active process which actually involves mining.

You need to anchor a refinery at some point near a moon (only possible in 0.5 security systems and below) and equip it with a moon mining drill service module.

The moon mining drill will then carve a chunk out of the moon (size depends on time taken for carving - 6 to 56 days) and pull it close to the refinery. After it has been pulled in at the end of the extraction period, you can fire a laser on it to shatter the chunk into a mineable asteroid field which will also include moon goo (more and better in lower sec systems). If you don't fire the laser in time, it will detonate automatically after a few hours (3h plus some time for rigs).

The asteroid field is then basically free for all to mine, although some nullsec alliances might not agree with you mining their goo and pop your Rorqual fleet...

Uni has access to a hisec refinery near HSC, maybe more in other locations, so if you want to try mining you might want to show up for the moon mining events...

Anchoring your own refinery is possible in principle too, but just a medium refinery and a moon drill will set you back by roughly 1B and you need 5 fuel blocks per hour plus 360 to online for the drill. Also be prepared to defend your structure as people might want to shoot it up...

Zoltan
<<

Edswifa Rova

Portrait

Post 2018.07.30 11:34

Do you use normal ore mining modules for moon shared cans?
<<

Eadrom Vintarus

Portrait

Assistant Campus Manager
Assistant Campus Manager

Post 2018.07.30 11:41

Edswifa Rova wrote:Do you use normal ore mining modules for moon shared cans?

Yes. Mechanically, mining moon ore is the same as mining regular belt or ore anomaly asteroids.
Feeling lost or overwhelmed? Request an E-UNI Mentor today!
NSC Assistant Manager
PC9 "Tether to Tether" Hauling Service for the NSC
Want to know how to get involved at the Null Sec Campsus? Contact me on any E-UNI slack, via forum PM, or in-game to learn more!

<<

Ernesto Guevarti

Portrait

Post 2018.07.30 12:19

Yes, but remember, if you don't have the correct moon mining crystals trained, you will get better yield from T1 harvesters compared to T2 without crystals.
Daniel Wittaker wrote:You could have a bright career ahead of you in Goonforums. That's some upvote-quality Helldump posting. Well done, sir.
<<

Larson Tetartos

Portrait

Post 2018.07.30 21:32

I've done a couple of the moon mining events, and it doesn't seem like there are a ton of choices available, I guess part of what I'm wondering is how many different moons would you need to be able to reasonably make stuff. Are the drops from each moon different each time so you could mine the same one a bunch of times, or is there enough spread in requirements that you'd need to be able to mine on X different moons to have a chance to actually be able to build something useful.
<<

Atomsk Agittain

Portrait

Post 2018.07.31 02:57

Larson Tetartos wrote: Are the drops from each moon different each time so you could mine the same one a bunch of times....

No, each moon always has the same asteroids, I believe in the same place no less. The only difference is the total m3 pulled up which is adjusted by the length of the pull. What is in the moon is predetermined and is revealed on by scanning it.

Larson Tetartos wrote:...how many different moons would you need to be able to reasonably make stuff.

This largely depends on what you are trying to make. High-sec moons are restricted, if I remember correctly, to R4 Moon Goo, the lowest quality, on top of this moon goo and ice, is limited by the system you are in. Because moon goo refines into components needed for reactions, and because you can't do reactions in High-Sec anyway, HSC Moons are set up on locations that give you the best ores that are normally security status restricted, like the ABC's.

NSC on the other hand has moons spread out to gain both ABC's, which can only be found in anomalies, and moon goo, ranging from R4 to R16 (we might still have one or two R32's) and with them you can do quite a few reactions or just sell it off for a decent amount of isk.
<<

Edswifa Rova

Portrait

Post 2018.07.31 11:34

Ernesto Guevarti wrote:

Yes, but remember, if you don't have the correct moon mining crystals trained, you will get better yield from T1 harvesters compared to T2 without crystals.

OK so which crystals should I train up?
<<

Cryptic Sharvas

Portrait

Post 2018.07.31 14:23

Larson Tetartos wrote: I guess part of what I'm wondering is how many different moons would you need to be able to reasonably make stuff.

Depends on what you are making and where you are making it. For example if you are a high sec industrialist building T1 stuff then you can get away with whatever combination of moons would give you the ore you need to cover the Null sec minerals.

If you wanted to do reactions in Low/Null Sec you would need a minimum of 2 moons, each pulling up one of the 2 moon goos that you would need. For more complicated reactions you would need more moons. and for some you'd need to import stuff from other space as they are not evenly distributed.
Image ImageImageImageImage
<<

Atomsk Agittain

Portrait

Post 2018.07.31 19:43

Edswifa Rova wrote:OK so which crystals should I train up?

Ubiquitous for the r4s and common for the r8.

Return to Mining & Planetary Interaction