Colony Efficiency

Forum rules
This forum can be viewed by the public.
<<

Catbriar Saissore

Portrait

Post 2018.06.29 16:38

Colony Efficiency

After reading and rereading numerous sources of PI information, I can set up PI on a planet and get all the structures
connected. I follow the connect the structures logic. It was a struggle and the information out there is overwhelming and in many cases, I think outdated. That said:

So, pretend I have a colony set up as follows:
Extract Base Metal --> Storage #1 --> Process Base Metal into Reactive Metal --> Storage #3
Extract Micro Organisms --> Storage #2 --> Process Micro Organisms into Bacteria --> Storage #3
Storage #3 --> Process Reactive Metal and Bacteria into Nanites --> Launch Pad

A very basic set up. So I start extracting (say 4 day cycle) and go away for two days. When I come back, Storage #1 is
overflowing because the extractors produce more metal than processing can handle. Storage #3 is full and throwing out
Bacteria because I am producing more Bacteria than Metal. Basically a very inefficient operation. As I say, I am making
this up but you get the idea.

Somewhere in this incomprehensible PI user interface there has to be information to initially set up an efficient colony
where you are not losing product or creating bottle necks. I want to be proactive up front not reacting later. (Is there a
simulation mode?) I do not expect anyone to explain this in a post, that would be cruel and unusual punishment. Would you
kindly point me to a good video or article that gets into the detail on efficiently setting up a colony. Thank you.
<<

Troven Smalvard

Portrait

Assistant Orientation Manager
Assistant Orientation Manager

Post 2018.06.29 17:30

Re: Colony Efficiency

as i remember basic factories consume 6000 units of p1 /hr, so depending on how many factories you have you can scale your extarction to meet this average, it displays it in the window when your 'programing' and can move the heads around.

that said, you'll see the graph in same set up window that it harvests on a decreasing curve so although the average is x the peak at the start will be much higher, which is why you buffer as it looks like you are doung with your storage 1.

the trick is to gauge how much buffer you have at the start of the cycle. i'm sure you could math it but can just use an app like neocom to show if you'll have losses

i'm not sure if this helped? feel free to hit me up in game, think would be easier to talk it through on mumble with your stuff on screen

ImageImage ImageImage
<<

Catbriar Saissore

Portrait

Post 2018.06.29 20:30

Re: Colony Efficiency

Thank you Troven. Yes, 6000 per hour makes sense. The Uni wiki says to get average extraction to 12,000 per hour. Then it shows two factories for the extractor, ties in perfectly! The numbers are out there, it's just putting them all together.

Return to Mining & Planetary Interaction