Question about drones for mining barge.

Forum rules
This forum can be viewed by the public.
<<

Edswifa Rova

Portrait

Post 2018.04.14 13:01

Question about drones for mining barge.

I’m currently collecting together the items for my shiny new Covetor and retriever while waiting for the skills to complete.
But I am confused by the suggested drones on the wiki fitting pages.

Why is there 10 drones when only bandwidth to fly 5?

How are you supposed to use the 10?

Why the hornet ec-300?

How are they used with the hobgoblins?

Am I stupid? Lol.
<<

Zoltan Irvam

Portrait

Post 2018.04.14 14:10

Re: Question about drones for mining barge.

Hi,

the hobgoblins are used normally to fight off rats. THe ECM drones are your get out of jail free card if sb tries to gank you. Quickly abandon the hobs, launch ECM and pray he gets jammed and you can warp off...

Zoltan
<<

Guiliano Thellere

Portrait

Post 2018.04.14 14:39

Those fittings are slightly outdated and as you’ve found out you won’t be able to carry 10 drones in either the Retriever or Covetor, you can however in a Procurer. With the later I would definitely recommend one flight of Hob II’s and one of the EC-300’s. As for the other two it’s up to you but the EC-300’s won’t be much, if any, use, as if you get caught your tank is too low to get away anyway...

Hope that makes sense!
Orientation Officer | Student Advocate | Mentor

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

<<

Edswifa Rova

Portrait

Post 2018.04.14 15:56

Ok thanks guys, that makes sense now.
<<

Edswifa Rova

Portrait

Post 2018.04.15 06:54

Sorry one more question based on Guiliano's reply.

If the wiki fittings are slightly outdated, what are the current recommended fits for the following 2 barge scenarios?

Covetor (Shared can)

Retriever (Solo and BYOC)
<<

Cassiel Seraphim

Portrait

Campus Manager
Campus Manager

Post 2018.04.15 08:42

If you're solo mining in spaces that have rats, you need a flight of combat drones, so there's really no choice there. For fleet or shared can fits, if you have someone else dedicated to dealing with the rats that spawn (usually only takes a flight of drones to do that), then any set of mining drones you can fit will improve your yield.

If you're in a situation where you need ECM drones to get away from a war target or ganker, then I personally think you're approaching the problem in the wrong way, much like trying to treat a symptom instead of the root problem. It's better to plan and prepare in such a way that you're simply gone before you take a fight. Pay attention, be aware of your surroundings and simply warp off is a much better method of being safe. Or do like we do in incursions, run with pickets, so you get the heads up you need to get out.
<<

Edswifa Rova

Portrait

Post 2018.04.15 08:56

Thank you for your answer regarding the drones.
I think I do practice safety first, with the good use of dscan, local and spamming that warp button.

I guess I should clarify that I changed the scope of the question, probably incorrectly.
I’m interested in knowing whether the rigs and modules are still relevant?
<<

Cassiel Seraphim

Portrait

Campus Manager
Campus Manager

Post 2018.04.15 10:46

Short answer is that the Covetor fit for solo is a bit more expensive than the T2 yield fit (about 17% more, 37 vs 42 mil) and only has like 50% more tank (15k vs the 10k), while suffering quite a bit on yield (T2 yield fit pulling in almost 20% more ore). A proper ganking Catalyst can kill either of those in 30 seconds. The number of scenarios where that extra tank actually helps you, are highly situational. Over time, the T2 yield fit would earn you more money to the point where you can even die every 10 hours of mining (assuming something like 18,7 mil/hour vs 22 mil/hour) and still make more ISK than the solo-version. And again, it's arguable if the extra tank of the solo-fit will even save you. If you're constantly harassed you'd be better off in a Procurer anyway.

Long answer is that there are different philosophies when it comes to fitting mining ships, but I suppose it boils down to a few things.

Each of the barges (and exhumers) fall into three categories. They are either geared for max yield (like the Covetor and Hulk), max cargo hold (like the Retreiver and Mackinaw) or max tank (like the Procurer and Skiff). The Covetor, even without mining laser upgrades, will beat the Retriever and Procurer on yield, even if they fit max mining laser upgrades. The Retreiver has a much bigger ore hold than the others and so it can stay out in the field longer before dumping their ore hold (which affects yield over time, depending on your hauling situation). The Procurer has unmatched tank compared to the others, even if it fits for max yield. So you pick the type of ship that fits your needs, based on whether you're solo-mining, fleet-mining with support, if you got someone picking up the ore or not etc.

Another thing to consider (and this is probably a pretty big point of contention among miners) is whether you go max yield above all else, some tank but mostly yield, or all tank and whatever yield that is left. This mostly boils down to whether you can avoid being ganked at all, and if that cost saving is enough to warrant the lower yield.

Personally I think that it's best to highlight the strengths of each type of mining ship, and if it's too weak or has too small a hold, change barge and not fit. They are all tailored for specific uses and excell at it, trying to make hybrids might work in some cases but for the most part you're better off changing ship.
<<

Edswifa Rova

Portrait

Post 2018.04.15 12:03

Thanks for your comprehensive answer.

I will be using the Covetor for yield in a shared can and the retriever for unsupported solo mining in high sec.
<<

Garrett Achasse

Portrait

Post 2018.04.19 13:48

Edswifa Rova wrote:I will be using the Covetor for yield in a shared can and the retriever for unsupported solo mining in high sec.

You may want to consider using the Covetor in solo settings as well. When I am actively paying attention to my miner I clear my ore hold into a jet can every few minutes and really outperform the Retriever. After I've filled two jet cans, I swap to a Miasmos (Miasmos with Gallente Indy 3 skill can hold exactly two jet cans of ore) and haul it back to station.

If I want a more AFK mining style because I am doing something else on other accounts, then I use the retriever and only need to worry about the hold filling up every 15-20 minutes.
<<

Edswifa Rova

Portrait

Post 2018.04.29 11:02

Garrett Achasse wrote:
Edswifa Rova wrote:I will be using the Covetor for yield in a shared can and the retriever for unsupported solo mining in high sec.

You may want to consider using the Covetor in solo settings as well. When I am actively paying attention to my miner I clear my ore hold into a jet can every few minutes and really outperform the Retriever. After I've filled two jet cans, I swap to a Miasmos (Miasmos with Gallente Indy 3 skill can hold exactly two jet cans of ore) and haul it back to station.

If I want a more AFK mining style because I am doing something else on other accounts, then I use the retriever and only need to worry about the hold filling up every 15-20 minutes.

Yes I'm not really comfortable leaving jetcans lying around while I get some thing to haul them with.
<<

Ernesto Guevarti

Portrait

Post 2018.04.29 11:28

Garrett Achasse wrote:If I want a more AFK mining style because I am doing something else ...

... then I suggest you don't use a uni toon for this, given the continual war decs.
Daniel Wittaker wrote:You could have a bright career ahead of you in Goonforums. That's some upvote-quality Helldump posting. Well done, sir.
<<

Garrett Achasse

Portrait

Post 2018.04.30 14:21

Ernesto Guevarti wrote:... then I suggest you don't use a uni toon for this, given the continual war decs.

Yes, that risk definitely has to be weighed in. You always need to keep up to date on who is currently wardeccing the Uni and what their personnel levels and operating areas are.
<<

Larson Tetartos

Portrait

Post 2018.07.28 15:51

I've updated the wiki to properly reflect that the Retriever can't hold more than 5 light drones. The Covetor still can (has a 50m3 bay), so I left that one alone for now.
<<

Netan Emerson

Portrait

Assistant Campus Manager
Assistant Campus Manager

Post 2018.07.30 07:37

Larson Tetartos wrote:I've updated the wiki to properly reflect that the Retriever can't hold more than 5 light drones. The Covetor still can (has a 50m3 bay), so I left that one alone for now.

Your wiki update suggests having 5 Hobgoblin / combat drones to combat rats. 1 is more that enough and then can carry 4 x Hornet EC-300.

If fighting more deadly rats than 1 combat drone can take out quickly enough your retriever will be dead before helps anyway. And have seen real benefit from several people surviving solo ganks due to jamming target with Hornet EC-300
Assistant Manager (AMC) | Titles Officer

Image Image

Image Image Image

Return to Mining & Planetary Interaction