Forum rules
This forum can be viewed by the public.
<<

Noor Moussa

Portrait

Post 2017.12.03 13:47

Nullsec ores

Hello,

I'm training an alt into mining, specifically mining in Nullsec, and I'm wondering which one of the reprocessing skills to get to IV first? Because I'm limited to only one or two MCT I want to make the most use of the time. The space I'll be mining in would be considered Caldari.
<<

Rodger Kint

Portrait

Post 2017.12.03 14:12

Re: Nullsec ores

Spodumain seems to be the most popular ore for Rorqual pilots.

Recommend you get your alt into a nullsec alliance and mine in a protected pocket. Otherwise you're going to die a lot. Pandemic Horde will give you an invite with no bs and you can be mining in Fade in the GME pocket the same day you apply. Sell your minerals on contract to one of the many buyback programs run by hordlings. We also have 65 moons under chunking so if you want to pay attention to which ones are popping today you can score some moon goo which I hear is worth 100-150M per hour in a retriever. Currently we're keeping the Rorquals away from the moons so our new beans can feast on the moon goo in barges.
KEEP CALM & DEFFO BLAP YO
The boy who cried Moros * Content Creator * Graduate * Awoxer - The Equalizer
<<

Noor Moussa

Portrait

Post 2017.12.03 15:03

A rorqual is quite some time away. For now I’m settling for a Covetor and later a Hulk.
<<

Turhan Bey

Portrait

Director of Logistics
Director of Logistics

Post 2017.12.03 22:49

No worries, a Rorqual is a mining support ship, similar to how an Orca is one, too. The mining ships themselves end their progression at the Exhumers, such as your planned Hulk.
ImageImageImage
"The first mistake most gameplay zealots make is thinking that the game should revolve around them. The second is believing that it already does."
"Maybe it's just a game. Or perhaps it's a world. Perhaps it's a community. One thing is for certain: If it's only a game to you, then that is all it will ever be."
<<

Noor Moussa

Portrait

Post 2017.12.03 23:32

Turhan Bey wrote:No worries, a Rorqual is a mining support ship, similar to how an Orca is one, too. The mining ships themselves end their progression at the Exhumers, such as your planned Hulk.

Right. Would you still train all the reprocessing skills in order to be able to use crystals, and if so which ones should I train first?
<<

Turhan Bey

Portrait

Director of Logistics
Director of Logistics

Post 2017.12.03 23:49

The basic rule is simply to train for using the crystals that you are planning to mine the most often. So the answer is entirely dependent upon where and what you anticipate mining the most often in the near future, in the order that you will most likely start mining them. For the long term, plan on training for all crystals that you will mine regularly.
ImageImageImage
"The first mistake most gameplay zealots make is thinking that the game should revolve around them. The second is believing that it already does."
"Maybe it's just a game. Or perhaps it's a world. Perhaps it's a community. One thing is for certain: If it's only a game to you, then that is all it will ever be."
<<

Aren Dar

Portrait

Post 2017.12.03 23:58

Turhan Bey wrote:No worries, a Rorqual is a mining support ship, similar to how an Orca is one, too. The mining ships themselves end their progression at the Exhumers, such as your planned Hulk.

Actually, these days the Rorqual is the end game mining ship too.
<<

Turhan Bey

Portrait

Director of Logistics
Director of Logistics

Post 2017.12.04 00:54

Aren Dar wrote:Actually, these days the Rorqual is the end game mining ship too.

This, I did not know. What equipment is used to mine in a Rorqual (lasers? drones?) and how is the yield compared to an Exhumer?
ImageImageImage
<<

Cryptic Sharvas

Portrait

Post 2017.12.04 01:01

Excavator Mining Drones is what is used
Image ImageImageImageImage
<<

Rodger Kint

Portrait

Post 2017.12.04 03:01

1 Rorqual = about 5 exhumers plus a booster using excavation drones according to an article by Imperial News. Null sec alliances deploy Asteroid Prospecting Arrays which spawn Colossal and Large Asteroid Cluster anomalies which keep the Rorquals fed. Even with the 15% nerf they are still the shizzle for sucking in the minerals and you can compress at the same time so... all in all pretty cool. I think they do about 175M isk per hour in ore.

Of course you have about 10Billion isk on the field. The rorqual is locked down for 5 minutes once the industrial core is activated so kind of a sitting duck if a large fleet drops into system. Mitigation includes dropping your drones into a Wetu MTU at first sign of trouble as the drones are about 1B each. Cool recent module is the PANIC module that makes the Rorqual virtually invulnerable for like a minute giving your friends additional time to help you out.

Large null sec alliances keep cap fleets around to save their Rorquals. You jump a Rorqual in nullsec, I hope you brought a cyno inhibitor... because before you can say shazam, there's a fax on the rorqual and several carriers with fighters chewing up your fleet.

Non-the-less, not everyone is on the ball and we have a lot of fun in Horde using wormholes to go "whaling" as we call Rorqual killing. Looks like last May was open season on whales: https://zkillboard.com/character/945532 ... 83/losses/

Seems like a Rorqual used on a chucking moon would have some cover from the Refinery Complex as the Moon chunk blows up about 200km from the station, but... Not sure that's gonna save your Rorqual from 75 determined whalers.
<<

Noor Moussa

Portrait

Post 2017.12.05 12:17

Rodger Kint wrote:1 Rorqual = about 5 exhumers plus a booster using excavation drones according to an article by Imperial News. Null sec alliances deploy Asteroid Prospecting Arrays which spawn Colossal and Large Asteroid Cluster anomalies which keep the Rorquals fed. Even with the 15% nerf they are still the shizzle for sucking in the minerals and you can compress at the same time so... all in all pretty cool. I think they do about 175M isk per hour in ore.

To me this seems kind of low. That means you have to spend 50 hours or more mining if it's true that the value of a fit rorqual is 10B. Which makes the return on investment incredibly slow.
<<

Rodger Kint

Portrait

Post 2017.12.05 13:46

For Rorqual value you can check the three kills I linked, 10.3B, 8.7B, and 2.8B(had no excavators). Maybe you could get a cheap-fit one just under 8B with drones, but people tend to bling them a little.

For return on investment, it's end game. Each step up the mining chain increases your rate of return but the capital required goes up even faster. Typical game design. They want the new players to get quick rewards so they keep playing. The long term player has a different task profile, you can't just hand them a rorqual and expect them to be satisfied, they are actually happier if earning the Rorqual is a chore.

Return to Mining & Planetary Interaction