Do PI Planets/resources reset?

Forum rules
This forum can be viewed by the public.
<<

Radnog Banik

Portrait

Post 2017.08.21 20:14

Do PI Planets/resources reset?

I am looking to get into PI here in the next week or so once I have some skills up to a decent level and I was wondering about PI spawns/resources.

Do they change/reset? If so how often?

Do the planets change type?

I am asking as I was wondering if I set up a command center and everything, how often do I need to adjust everything I have set up? Extractors and all that? It sounds like you can have extractors set to deliver based on a 1 day or 14 day schedule. It got me thinking and I was wondering how often I would need to check on them and move/adjust things for optimal running.
<<

Aren Dar

Portrait

Post 2017.08.21 20:27

Re: Do PI Planets/resources reset?

Radnog Banik wrote:I am looking to get into PI here in the next week or so once I have some skills up to a decent level and I was wondering about PI spawns/resources.
Do they change/reset? If so how often?
Do the planets change type?

The planets never change type. The hotspots for particular resources gradually get depleted as they get harvested, if they aren't harvested for a while then they start to replenish.

There is no metrics on the actual rate - but in general the lower the sec status of the system the greater the amount of resources from a given hotspot.
<<

Rodger Kint

Portrait

Post 2017.08.22 14:00

I use 4 day 2 hour head cycles. My experience is that I move the little extraction points about 1/3 of the time and that I need to move the whole head assembly about once a month. So tweek about twice a month and occasionally destroy the head and rebuild it elsewhere when the entire area is depleted or a massive hot spot develops somewhere else on the planet.

You mention the 1-12 day possible cycles. What you need to know is that after you turn them on, the head cycles and each typically cycle produces less. So resetting an extractor every day for 12 days produces like 500% of running the extractor for one 12 day cycle. So there are two effects to worry about, cycle time and head placement. They are independent. You pick a cycle time based on the amount of times you want to log in to maximize your output and you then adjust the head locations based on the slow changes in resource density you observe with your survey skills.

You could tweek and move every cycle but I think you're doing a lot of work to stay at peak. I get what I estimate is 85% of the maximum related to head placement for far less work. If I was willing to log in every day to reset the cycles, I'd probably double my output.

Planets to date have never changed type. Theoretically if there are a lot a users on a planet, then the overall level of stuff is depleted, but practically this isn't likely to drive where you put your PI.
KEEP CALM & DEFFO BLAP YO
The boy who cried Moros * Content Creator * Graduate * Awoxer - The Equalizer
<<

Radnog Banik

Portrait

Post 2017.08.23 15:56

Thank you guys for the answers. Very helpful.
<<

Zeerse Solaris

Portrait

Post 2017.08.24 11:47

In my PI classes I advise people to set cycles in tune with how active they are and how much they aren't bored with PI. Getting bored and letting your cycles go cold is a much bigger hit to your isk income than if you set 3 days, 5 days etc.

With the inaccuracy of scanning anyway unless you spend a couple of months training planetology skills, don't get obsessed with optimising output, it's not an interesting enough mechanic for it. :)
E-uni Teacher:: Apply to be a teacher
E-uni Mentor: Apply to be a mentor

Return to Mining & Planetary Interaction