Best PVP Ships for Alpha Characters

Forum rules
This forum can be viewed by the public.
<<

Morgan Strigidae

Portrait

Post 2020.02.01 17:47

Best PVP Ships for Alpha Characters

I am returning to EVE after a 4-year break and plan to play as an alpha for now.

So, I have 40 mil SP, but can't fly Tech 2 anymore. With skill injectors, I see I can improve a lot of ship skills, but I need some advice on what to fly now.

I plan to re-apply to Uni, and LSC was a good place. I might move down to NSC in the future.

I'm looking at Empire Faction ships and Pirate Faction ships, of course, but that still leaves a lot of room.

Way back in 2014-15, I really enjoyed frigate fleet roams with LSC, and bigger fleet actions when I could find them.

I often took scout / tackle roles. I did some ratting -- worked into dessies and cruisers there. I also liked Incursions, flew Vindicators.

Any advice for ships to fly?
<<

Anidien Dallacort

Portrait

Post 2020.02.02 01:56

Re: Best PVP Ships for Alpha Characters

The nice thing about Alpha with respect to combat - you can fly just about any standard T1 ship from Frigate size through battleship.

That opens ALOT of options, making answering the question difficult.

There are certainly things that are directly restricted - beyond T2 hills, for example, you can’t use a cloak.

But the best thing here probably, is to explain your interests and your current skill set with a little more detail (I.e. Amarr cruiser V). At 40M SP, you can’t train over time as an Alpha, so learning any skills you don’t have, require injectors.

I know you have that option opened from your post, but certainly improving something you can already fly, as opposed to skimming into a hull you currently can’t fly, will be cheaper.
<<

Morgan Strigidae

Portrait

Post 2020.02.02 22:01

My current skill set includes all 4 racial ship types, Frigate, Destroyer, Cruiser, Battlecruiser, and Battleship to either 3 or 4.

I'm strongest skill wise on Calderi ships, shields, hybrid turrets, energy turrets, railguns & blasters. No artillery or laser skills.

In terms of interests, I enjoyed scout / tackle roles, so I'm looking at faction frigates, and Incursions.

I think I'd like to try more solo PVP this time around.

I'm going through websites looking for info on those things, but any advice is welcome.
<<

Urban Oxide

Portrait

Post 2020.02.03 00:55

Garmur, Stabber, Worm are all strong candidates for the scout/tackle role.
<<

Gergoran Moussou

Portrait

Post 2020.02.03 04:47

I second what Urban said about the Stabber. For solo and small gangs, there really isn't anything better at a similar price. For frigates, I'd go with Caldari Navy Hookbill or Federal Navy Comet, but Imperial Navy Slicer is also a good one (Republic Fleet Firetail isn't necessarily a bad ship, just overshadowed by the others in this sort of thing).

For destroyers, I'd recommend the Coercer and my second choice would be Thrasher.
<<

Yto Itinen

Portrait

Post 2020.02.04 13:16

Hello Morgan, welcome back!
Both as an alpha and as a returning player, I would advise you to start with t1 frigs: you will be approached by more people looking for fights and will get a feel of what the meta is and which one of those meta ships you want to fly. You will get a great learning experience on the cheap and will be surprised how strong some of those ships are: kestrel, breacher, incursus and tormentor being good, and the tristan being the most versatile ship you can find for solo PvP.
Faction frigates are the next natural step and you still can enter novice plexes in those and as an alpha, they will be the best bang for your buck. Again, what you will fly will be different depending not just on what you like, but also what others are flying: find out what is popular and fly the counter to it. That's something you can't do by just reading a guide alone. Imp Navy Slicer is superb but requires a lot of micromanagement, Fed Navy Comet is the most versatile of all the bunch, the Cal Navy Hookbill is a forgiving scram kiter for new pilots and the Rep Firetail is just a bit behind the curve of the first 3 until you learn to fly it well.

Pirate faction hulls are expensive and strong, but they act as a kind of deterrent, as a great deal of people will not engage them solo: if one vs many is your kind of thing, go for a Worm or a Garmur or a Cruor, even the Succubus is getting more popular.

Dessies are a bit limited in terms of what they do solo: you kinda sit there, see who is brave enough to enter your plex and either shredd them or you warp off. As for dessie gangs, I have been taking out losec dessie roams from HSC/LSC, there is one on thursday.

If you want to get back into Incursions, we still welcome alpha pilots and have many fits they can fly: https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Vanguard_Incursion_fits
The Incursion community is mostly active on weekends, the wiki is up to date and we have a chat channel in-game.

Hope to fly with you soon!
Yto
ImageImage

<<

Morgan Strigidae

Portrait

Post 2020.02.04 18:52

Thanks, everyone!

That gives me some good info to start with.

On the Stabber, I've never thought of a cruiser as a scout/tackle ship; that's interesting. I guess it would be for fleets of larger ships? Or when you're looking for larger prey? I'm intrigued.

Looks like it could be a good solo PVP ship, too.

"find out what is popular and fly the counter to it" - That sounds smart.

I appreciate the advice!
<<

Taylor Moon Mahyisti

Portrait

Post 2020.02.05 00:31

for scouting inties / afs are best which are t2 unfortunately. you can fly an intie-fit dramiel which is not bad, but it doesnt have the sig bonus or tackle range. but in small gang it can work since you at least get some good dps out of it, and it can fit in a novice which helps

for just normal dps role, comet is very strong and can be fit kite, scramkite or brawl. for kite you want to bling it a bit to get the most out of it, if you dont bling mwd it's hard to get decent cap life out of it without 2+ rigs, which sucks because then you cant get it to <2s align time which is nice for getting through camps or just blind warping to plexes because you couldnt be bothered to warp near it and scan first. just be careful because sometimes you can bounce off the acceleration gate which can screw you, if you warp at 10km you're still close enough to take the gate if you want to punch in but you'll never bounce off it

slicer is another nice faction ship for fleets with its good dps, not really as viable for solo because you have only two mids and cap problems. but for fleet if you dont mind not having a point you can just have a defensive web there, and then not having a point also saves you a lot of cap so it's nice

as far as the pirate frigs go, succubus is my personal favourite as of late because of the excellent range control in scram range. even with a deadspace mwd it only comes out to 100mil which is very reasonalbe, and you can get it up to 4k heated with snakes which is very nice indeed for afterburner. mostly you'll want to use it for scramkiting, you could brawl with it but it doesnt really take advantage of the ab bonus as much. you can very confidently go up against groups of several people since nothing can ever hold you down (except daredevil/vigilant, be careful of those), and it doesnt really have the usual weakness of scramkiters which is getting destroyed by kitey ships. if they're not snaked you're probably almost as fast as them, and even if they are you've got enough speed to get a decent slingshot or reverse-slingshot on them and hopefully get them into heated web range or out of heated point range. also if you fit beams you can shoot back quite a decent amount, so you should hopefully be able to force them off you even if you cant slingshot. as for tank, i like to go triple tank with MASB, SAAR and 1-2 bulkhead rigs. seems goofy, but it works well and can be very surprising to people, while also leaving you enough slots for a web, damage control and sink.

worm, dramiel, daredevil, cruor are also good. worm in particular is really nice if you bling it, and daredevil too with a nice web fitted. garmur is very op but i wouldnt really recommend it because nobody's going to fight you, everyone knows how op it is

Return to Player vs Player Combat