Key mappings for PvP

Forum rules
This forum can be viewed by the public.
<<

Rex Cordell

Portrait

Post 2020.04.12 18:21

Key mappings for PvP

As a completely new player (this is my 5th day) I'm struggling to figure out what keys are important to map for pvp. I'm finishing up the career tutorials now and have just been point and clicking everything. However, I have a feeling that may not be the best road to take for pvp. I hesitate to setup my own keybinds without asking this question because switching keybinds down the road is a big pain due to muscle memory. So, my questions are:

(The numbers below are what I'm thinking of in terms of priority of keymapping. i.e. Low number means the keys mapped should be within easy reach.

1. The uniwiki lists keyboard commands for movement. Do players actually use these? I've just been point and clicking on the map. If they are useful I don't want to overwrite them (actually I'll remap to esdf which is my movement default in other games).

2. What actions HAVE to be key mapped in pvp. I'm thinking of actions that are, "OMG, I have to do that right now!". These types of keybinds I normally put within really easy reach of my left hand even if they aren't used as much as other keybinds.

3. Do players normally keybind target select next/previous target? In other games I have used my scroll wheel on the mouse for this and it has worked quite well. However, zoom-in and zoom-out seems to be really useful so IDK if I want to do that in this game.

4. I'm assuming Approach, Lock-on, Orbit, are used all the time? I'm assuming certain modules such as your grouped weapons, afterburner, armor repairer, etc should be keymapped appropriately.

5. Are there different views and/or overlays which are normally used and switched between during combat like Tactical Overlay which I should keymap?

btw - tried to find a topic like this out on the uniwiki but didn't see one. Tried search functionality too. If there is such an article please just point me to it...

Thanks in advance for reading and for answering. Very Much Appreciated!

-Rex out
<<

Anidien Dallacort

Portrait

Post 2020.04.12 21:19

Re: Key mappings for PvP

I’m not the end-all-be-all expert when it comes to PvP, so I hope some others will step in and talk about their preferences- but I think the general answers here, will acknowledge that the answers are mostly based on personal preference, and what ship you are currently flying.

For starters, the game provides a lot of default keybinds that do a lot of things quickly. At a basic level, for example, high slots are default mapped F1-F8, mid slots as Alt+(F1 - F8), and low slots as Ctrl+(F1-F8).

But what you need can vary heavily on what you are flying. My CovOps for exploration, for example, requires my F2 key - where I fit my cloak. When flying that ship I need my tilde key, where I have mapped my scan probe button, to run a scan with deployed probes. Flying my orca as a hauler, is, upon jumping to a new system, a sequence of holding Alt, and pressing F4 F3 F2 F1 F4, to activate MWD, activate shield hardeners, and turn off MWD to end after one cycle.

Drone boats rely on drone hotkeys, but there are plenty of ships that can’t even use drones. It’s all situational, and some of those keys that may be considered situational to some, are vital to those who fly those ships.

I think my key advice, would be to start experiencing things in the game, and let that drive your desires for key mapping. The default maps are fairly comprehensive, the rest are personal preference.

Trying to muddle my way through some of the questions...
1. The uniwiki lists keyboard commands for movement. Do players actually use these? I've just been point and clicking on the map. If they are useful I don't want to overwrite them (actually I'll remap to esdf which is my movement default in other games).
. There is a first person view in the game, personally I don’t find it all that useful. Some movement keys are important though, such as Ctrl+Space to stop your ship. Using Q, W, S, etc, to change the action on clicking a target to approach, warp to, dock, etc, are very useful (save time right clicking and using contextual menus). Commanding your ship in a traditional WASD fashion - not quite so much in EVE.
2. What actions HAVE to be key mapped in pvp. I'm thinking of actions that are, "OMG, I have to do that right now!". These types of keybinds I normally put within really easy reach of my left hand even if they aren't used as much as other keybinds.
Module activation for sure. Navigation ones as above, like Warp To, allow quick escapes without contextual menu navigation. broadcast Keys when you have Logi support (I.e. “Need Shields”. Some might be more situational, such as taggi a target - only applies if you are in a command position.
3. Do players normally keybind target select next/previous target? In other games I have used my scroll wheel on the mouse for this and it has worked quite well. However, zoom-in and zoom-out seems to be really useful so IDK if I want to do that in this game.
Not an area I’ll speak with any kind of authority, but simply click on a target when I want to switch. Seems faster than trying to ensure the next target is the right target. Zooming in and out - yes that can be very important for situational awareness.
4. I'm assuming Approach, Lock-on, Orbit, are used all the time? I'm assuming certain modules such as your grouped weapons, afterburner, armor repairer, etc should be keymapped appropriately.
. Yes, navigational modifiers (I.e. Warp to) are very important, and have default key bonds. Modules all have default and well organized keybinds, as afore mentioned.
5. Are there different views and/or overlays which are normally used and switched between during combat like Tactical Overlay which I should keymap?
you mean varying keybind profiles? Most ships will key function in similar manners, the variation will be in whether a ship needs “F” to tell drones to attack or doesn’t, for example. I personally don’t have different mappings for different ships, much less confusing than trying to figure out which button activates the third mid slot module on each ship.

I can’t reemphasize enough, my opinion here, is that the default maps are a great starting point - experience by doing will better inform your preferences than any answers provided here - not that opinions from others are a bad thing of course!
Anidien Dallacort - Teacher, Sophomore

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
<<

Ky Hanomaa

Portrait

Post 2020.04.12 21:45

Technically as many as possible. The less you need to coordinate with your eyes+hands simultaneously (as in draw mouse on icon and click) the better. Less stress on the brain and more time to focus on the grid if you know what I mean by that.

The most important ones for me (personally) are certain modules - especially propulsion module, weapon system, warp disruptor and local reps (I have those bound to F1-4 on my keyboard in the order mentioned) with the option to switch out the mods depending on what I'm flying that features different module loadouts. To overheat I just hold shift while pressing the key.

Lots of people use keybinds for the basic movement commands such as approach, warp, orbit, keep at range etc. which I'm personally still struggling with in terms of getting used to them.

Drone commands are also advisable to bind them somewhere (engage target/return to drone bay).

There's a lot of personal preference that goes into this just like setting up your own personalized overview as it depends on your playstyle and previous experience with using keybinds from say other games.
Former Assistant FCC Manager

Image- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -Image- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -Image
<<

Rex Cordell

Portrait

Post 2020.04.12 22:00

Thank you both, this definitely helps and gives me some ideas for mapping already. If anyone else would like to chime in I'd be interested in what you have to say...

Fly safe,

Rex out.

Return to Player vs Player Combat