Basic questions about Frigate pvp in FW

Forum rules
This forum can be viewed by the public.
<<

Lewis Pirkibo

Portrait

Post 2020.01.06 08:33

Basic questions about Frigate pvp in FW

Got into eve for around 2 months, had no problem earning isks at all so I decided to take a look into Frigate pvps. I realised I don't have good enough skills for it so now I'm setting goals for myself to reach. But what is the "average" or "acceptable" dps of a solo frigate? My current best is with a blaster FNC dealing 120 something dps. Is that enough for me to start bringing it into FW fights? If not, what should I do to improve the dps other than skill training? Or if it has to be achieved through skill training, what skills should I go for?
<<

Milspecc

Portrait

Post 2020.01.06 20:24

Re: Basic questions about Frigate pvp in FW

Destroyer (more guns to do more DPS)

Getting the Magic 14 to level 4 helps.

However the best thing to do is fly with a wingman or two. Don't think you're going to fight fair or solo. While one of you are getting shot the other one or two should be able to kill the enemy and hopefully keep you alive. IMO
<<

Juja Sadaan

Portrait

Post 2020.01.06 22:44

Lewis Pirkibo wrote:Got into eve for around 2 months, had no problem earning isks at all so I decided to take a look into Frigate pvps. I realised I don't have good enough skills for it so now I'm setting goals for myself to reach. But what is the "average" or "acceptable" dps of a solo frigate? My current best is with a blaster FNC dealing 120 something dps. Is that enough for me to start bringing it into FW fights? If not, what should I do to improve the dps other than skill training? Or if it has to be achieved through skill training, what skills should I go for?

I'm not sure how much DPS is "good enough" for solo PvP. I tend to fight pilots who are years older then me, and lose most of the time as a result. That said, here are a few things I've learned.

If you're flying T1 frigs, try to avoid fights with faction and T2 (Assault) frigs. Faction and Assault frigates have hull bonuses you really can't match with a T1 frig. (Not to say that it's impossible to win, just much more difficult.)

Use faction ammo for solo PvP. For example, if you're doing a brawler fit with blasters, try using 'Caldari Navy Antimatter Charge S' instead of regular 'Antimatter Charge S'. The damage increase from faction ammo can be all the difference in a close fight.

Be sure to train your "Starship Command" skills to V for the frigate you're flying. For example, if you're flying an Incursus, train Gallente Frigate V to get all the hull bonuses.

The Gunnery Support Skills are good to train, and apply to all of the turret-based weapon systems (lasers, hybrids, projectiles).

2.1 Gunnery
2.2 Controlled Bursts
2.3 Motion Prediction
2.4 Rapid Firing
2.5 Sharpshooter
2.6 Surgical Strike
2.7 Trajectory Analysis

I personally find it enlightening to review the Mastery Levels for the ship you're flying. This will give you an idea of other skills you may want to train to be really good with a particular hull.

LIke anything, you just need to practice to get good. Controlling range, choosing good fights, etc, will get easier over time. The Uni hosts Fight Clubs sometimes which are great learning experience. If you ever see me online and want to practice, let me know. I'm usually up for solo PvP. (I usually fly around 04:00 Eve time.)

Here's a link to the Uni's page on Solo PvP (in case you haven't read it). Contains a section on fighting in FW space, which is somewhat different then fighting in non-FW space.

https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Solo_PvP

Cheers,
JS
<<

Gergoran Moussou

Portrait

Post 2020.01.07 08:28

Train the skills relevant to whatever ship you're flying. For frigates, train damage-related skills since tank skills don't really provide enough. Solo frigate fights are typically over within seconds.
<<

Ky Hanomaa

Portrait

Post 2020.01.07 12:44

I would prioritize getting the Racial Frigate Skills as well as the skills for their relevant Weapon Systems to V while leaving the support skills at III/IV for now.

More important is the understanding of the game mechanics e.g. how to get the most out of your ship through your piloting, how missiles or turret tracking works, how to manage heat. You can read up on a lot of that stuff online and there are great video tutorials on youtube as well.

Just a few links I used to learn some of these elements:
SPOILER WARNING!
(You might notice that I've been greatly inspired by Chessur :P)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WT8VqVcLDqc - Tracking and Spiraling /Agony Unleashed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ke3ROIFB3Ms - Fighter Series Part 1 /Chessur

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8YpXgqsyoY - Fighter Series Part 2 /Chessur

https://youtu.be/4UieJcWI-YM - Super Nerdy Slicer /Chessur

Your ship/fit also has an engagement profile as well as different factors that have to be met to make it work - below there's an example:
SPOILER WARNING!
You're flying a Blaster Incursus with a Scram+Web+Afterburner Set-Up and sit at 0 in a Novice Plex when an Imperial Navy Slicer comes in - he's most likely kitey MWD fit so he'll try to pull range before you can lock him down.

The Outcome of the match is basically determined within the first 2 seconds of the battle. If you can get your scram+web on him before he gets out of scram-range he's a sitting duck with paper-tank. If he manages pull range (I usually overheat my MWD and have drugs+implants to help me with that) he won't (or shouldn't) get back into scram range and just kill you from 15km+ away. Your goal will be to approach him right away and apply your tackle. Overheating your midslots for 1 cycle should give you enough range and velocity to catch him and pre-activating the tackle modules ensures they will be applied the second the target is locked.

There is however a chance that he picks up enough speed while you're locking him so that even though you managed to scram him at the edge of your scram range, he still has enough momentum to coast out of your scram range and reactivate his MWD (I spam the key I have my MWD for that). If he manages to do that, you have lost and should focus on getting out.

The moment he pulls range and burns away is also the best moment to do that, as he will most likely coast out of his own point range in the process, so try to extract the second you realize he's slipping through your fingers.

The FW Plexes offer you great protection from unwanted engagements as they limit the size of ships that can enter. They also give you enough time to assess whether you want to take the fight or not as your opponents will have to land and pass the acceleration gate first - you just have to constantly update you D-Scan to see what's landing outside.

A lot of that comes with experience and therefor there's no real shortcut. On top of that, you'll have to find your own "style" of gameplay. People enjoy different ships and strategies so find something you like and try to master it.
Former Assistant FCC Manager

Image- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -Image- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -Image

<<

Gergoran Moussou

Portrait

Post 2020.01.08 03:43

^^^

Listen to this guy. Everything that he said is correct.

Return to Player vs Player Combat