DST and PI

Forum rules
This forum can be viewed by the public.
<<

Sterling Boirelle

Portrait

Post 2018.05.05 16:23

DST and PI

The other day the chain was somewhat active but i decided to run PI anyway because yolo so i died.
https://zkillboard.com/kill/69774064/

What happened is i had a member cloaked up on the hole watching for inbound hostiles but a saber was able to warp to me and kill me before i was able to warp off. In retrospect i think my only chance of survival would have been to be able get far enough away to cloak up and hope for the best.

Now having been killed in tech 1 and tech 2 haulers for PI i am fairly confident i have ample time to move my PI back into the POCO regardless so given that I am thinking moving forward there really is no reason to use a DST to pick my PI up.

Let me know what you fine folks think of my assessment :)
SP determines what you can fly not where you can fly.
<<

Fergus Echerie

Portrait

Assistant Campus Manager
Assistant Campus Manager

Post 2018.05.05 17:11

Re: DST and PI

For such low value of PI I'd stick with Epithal and 3 stabs. I only run high value P4 (>500m worth) in a DST and never through a WH :D
Image Image Image Image
<<

Sterling Boirelle

Portrait

Post 2018.05.06 02:05

I am not sure why you are under the impression my PI is low value or how that relates to the question of what ship is best for moving PI from a POCO to a station.
SP determines what you can fly not where you can fly.
<<

Eadrom Vintarus

Portrait

Post 2018.05.06 04:42

Here's the fit I use for picking/dropping off PI at POCO's:

SPOILER WARNING!
[Epithal, Hauler_PI]
Inertial Stabilizers II
'Halcyon' Core Equalizer I

50MN Y-T8 Compact Microwarpdrive
Rash Compact Burst Jammer
Limited Adaptive Invulnerability Field I
Limited Adaptive Invulnerability Field I

Core Probe Launcher I
Improved Cloaking Device II

Medium Hyperspatial Velocity Optimizer I

Core Scanner Probe I x40
Sisters Core Scanner Probe x8

What I'll do while I am in warp, move the PI I'm taking away from the planet up into the poco and have that window open ready to go. As soon as I land and come out of warp, I will start my warp to another poco or wherever. The 6-8 seconds I have in between landing and entering warp to the next location, I use to move PI between the poco and my epithal, which is just dragging a stack or two back and forth so it's always plenty of time for me. If I'm using a factory planet, I'll move the PI down from the POCO to planetside once I'm safely tethered back at a structure.

The triple warp core stabs means that scram+point or faction scram will not keep me tackled and if there are more than what my warp stabs can defend against, I have a burst jammer as a Hail Mary. AIF's can be overheated for a bit of tank while aligning out. Hyperspacial rigs since the majority of time spent using an epithal is in warp, so hyperspacial cut down on that time a lot.

Between the fit's defenses and my strategy for reducing how long I'm on grid out of warp (ad hyperspacials reduce how long hostiles have to get ahead of you if hunting you), it's pretty difficult to catch unless hostiles have bubbles. If you do get bubbled, then like you said, just shift all your PI into the poco and you just eat a cheap Epithal loss, no big deal.
Feeling lost or overwhelmed? Request an E-UNI Mentor today!
NSC Logistics Officer
Want to know how to get involved in the NSC's industry programs? Contact me on any E-UNI slack, via forum PM, or in-game to learn more!

<<

Zoltan Irvam

Portrait

Post 2018.06.15 13:43

Hi,

I agree that the result would have been the same if you had used an Epithal - regardless of the number of stabs used, since it was a dictor.

In my experience an Epithal is fine in hostile environment unless you get caught in a bubble in which case you cloak up, slowboat in a random direction and pray. If a dictor jumps and bubbles you, that's tough luck.

You will of course want to minimise the time spent at POCOs - but even if you do it perfectly (export stuff while sitting cloaked at safe, open poco and cargo hold beside each other and have goods already selected, warp to safe close to POCO, check D, warp to POCO, when landing warp straight on to another aligned safe and quickly drag over stuff while warping off), a well played dictor will catch you.

A DST will make sense if your usage profile includes docking off with high value cargo from camped trade hub stations. An Epithal can be singleshot by a Ganknado, a DST can be made tanky enough to survive that while still being able to do MWD and cloak. Of course during Burn Jita you will die anyways...

Zoltan
<<

Decklin Quark Reiger

Portrait

Post 2018.06.16 02:40

Sterling Boirelle wrote:The other day the chain was somewhat active but i decided to run PI anyway because yolo so i died.
https://zkillboard.com/kill/69774064/

What happened is i had a member cloaked up on the hole watching for inbound hostiles but a saber was able to warp to me and kill me before i was able to warp off. In retrospect i think my only chance of survival would have been to be able get far enough away to cloak up and hope for the best.

Now having been killed in tech 1 and tech 2 haulers for PI i am fairly confident i have ample time to move my PI back into the POCO regardless so given that I am thinking moving forward there really is no reason to use a DST to pick my PI up.

Let me know what you fine folks think of my assessment :)

There are actually a few more things you can do to help survive:

1. If you haven't already, make yourself bookmarks vertically above the PoCo, near enough to interact with it, but so you can align a off to anywhere without bumping the PoCo. Use this bookmark when you're moving PI goods.
2. The moment you land at the bookmark, start aligning to a safe spot (preferable) or the next PoCo on your route (faster but more predictable and dangerous). Quickly swap PI between your hauler and the PoCo, and hit warp. Practice doing this quickly. Before you even undock, have any input materials organised in your ship cargo hold in the right quantities.
3. When your cloaky eyes spot the Sabre, warp right away, you should already be aligned.
4. Fit your epithal with MJD, 2 warp core stabs, and then minimise your align time. This is a defence against a cloaky astero bumping you to uncloak itself, and then scramming you when its 5-6s lock delay ends. You want to be able to MJD away while he's waiting for his lock delay, and then align + warp before more trouble arrives.
5. Do keep the cloak so you can hide in space at a safe spot if they bubble in line with your citadel.

I'm sure you already do a lot of those things, but hopefully it'll help others as well.
<<

Yuri Titov

Portrait

Post 2018.06.17 10:13

Your biggest enemies - bomber and cloaky astero with dual scrams who will follow you around.
You will need 4 stabs on your epithal and 3 hyperspatials.

People fly with dual scrams to catch stabbed explorers, so make use of the 4 slots.

When you land on a POCO you hit warp to the next one immediately and transfer stuff while you align, there's easily enough time.

When you undock, prepare a close offgrid bookmark in the direction of a planet you have no PI on. Whoever is watching is gonna warp there first and wait for you to land. By the time they figure out what happened there is no way they can catch up.

You will only get killed if they cloak a sabre on a random poco, but if you have an alt in space you should be able to see that.
ImageImage

Return to Player vs Player Combat