Assault Frigates

Forum rules
This forum can be viewed by the public.
<<

POG Actual

Portrait

Post 2017.11.25 18:49

Assault Frigates

I'm interested in training into Gallente assault frigates, but before I do, I have two quick questions:

Do they perform well in solo PvP?
Will they get primaried a lot in small gang PvP?
<<

Logan Zauber

Portrait

Post 2017.11.27 16:35

Re: Assault Frigates

I'll take a stab at it:

I think of the Enyo as sort of a "super tackle" ship, so expect to die gloriously and often while bringing meat to your fleet.

Ishkur- you won't find many people want to take that on 1v1, it's a nasty little biting fly. My tip would be to put Acolytes in it, as I maintain Hobgoblins are too easy to outrun- and get your drone skills all to V. (Drones, D Interfacing, Light D Operation, Amarr D specialization to 4, Avionics, Nav and Durability.)

It's pretty spectacular what the drone ships can do-- with the caveat that for PvP (as a drone pilot) you will end up wishing you had something other than blasters or rail guns as you wait for your drones to get to a target. That time really matters.
<<

Breeze One

Portrait

Post 2017.11.27 17:15

Just personally, I dont think either ship is great for solo PvP. They're both slow. Enyo will easily get scram-kited if blasters, or out-tracked if rails. Ishkur is better, and does okay as a pure kiting ship akin to a kiting Tristan, but its still pretty slow for that purpose, with a very weak tank when caught (assuming your shield tanking it) and without drone speed bonus, will get wrecked by most actual kiting ships.

The best solo Assault Frigates tend to be ones which have flexibility in their engagement range. The Hawk does well because Rockets dont have tracking issues, and you can use Javelin rockets to hit people at kiting range. Jaguar does okay, because Autocannons have great falloff which lets you also deal with scram-kites and kiters

You can absolutely make the Enyo and Ishkur work for solo, and you'll occasionally find fights you can win, but they're definitely not my first choices for the job...

For small gang roams though the Enyo is fantastic
<<

Decklin Quark Reiger

Portrait

Post 2017.11.29 08:37

POG Actual wrote:Will they get primaried a lot in small gang PvP?

As to this part of the question, getting primaried or not will depend on what other ships are in your small gang and how everyone is positioned. Generally, though, assault frigs wouldn't be my first priority target compared to something like an ewar frigate or navy cruiser.

The reasoning behind choosing a primary target is to pick something that has a high amount of threat to your fleet, and also is the easiest to kill. People will generally assume that your assault frigate will be fairly tanky, and will pick something else to primary first. That will change if you're out of position, or if the rest of your gang is even tankier.
<<

POG Actual

Portrait

Post 2017.12.01 01:39

Thanks for the clear and quick advice, everyone. I'm thinking I'll stick with cheap T1 frigates for solo PvP and train into the Enyo after I get my basic skills done with.

Logan Zauber wrote:....expect to die gloriously and often while bringing meat to your fleet.

o7
<<

Apothne

Portrait

Post 2017.12.03 00:39

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc0JuwrhAyQ&t=333s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1j2RUb33tLI

You will struggle to find a better and more knowledgeable frigate pilot than Suitonia.

Return to Player vs Player Combat