Your kitey, their brawly and in a plex...

Forum rules
This forum can be viewed by the public.
<<

Siet Acoma

Portrait

Post 2016.12.27 22:06

Your kitey, their brawly and in a plex...

I'm have trouble when scouting and trying to point a brawler in a faction warfare plex. Obviously the brawler has a great advantage being at his optimals. Here is my latest crow fail against a comet: http://killfeed.eveuniversity.org/?a=ki ... _id=396381

Someone in the fleet suggested a tactic for surviving this and I know it involved preheating my MWD, but I didn't quite catch all of it.

Thinking back this was what I did or didn't do:
1. preheated my scram/web
2. didn't preheat my MWD.
3. landing on grid, I targeted first and pointed, before trying to pulling range (this should of being the other way round).
4. by the time i clicked orbit and then my mwd I was scrammed/webbed and the comet was all over me.

I've been more worried about getting point when I should be prioritizing range control.

After looking into this a bit, I've realized that I should be using shortcut keys rather than mouse clicks to activate modules and ship controls and my order of things is wrong. So I'm guessing this is the order of things to do and how:

1. Preheat point and MWD, if solo guns/launcher too.
2. on landing on grid, select target in overview with mouse.
3. Using shortcut keys to: orbit, then activate MWD.
4. Lock target (ctrl click in overview) and activate Point with shortcut key. If solo fire guns/launchers with shortcut key.
5. Look for a scram landing on me and if so, get ready to reactivate MWD when/if my gathered MWD momentum carries me out of scram range.

With regard to shortcuts I'm thinking mapping MWD and Point to keys 1 and 2, with orbit set at the default w key.

I normally fit my crows fourth mid slot with a scram, but I've rarely used this, I'm thinking of fitting a defensive web to help establish initial range control. At least for a while until I get this technique down.

If anyone has a proven way of doing this I would love to hear about it and your shortcut key mappings too.
<<

Gilly Hakaari

Portrait

Post 2017.01.04 19:24

Re: Your kitey, their brawly and in a plex...

In this situation the first thing you should do (outside of not being in a crow, the slowest inty, but thats an issue for another time) is double click in space and activate your OH'd MWD until you have some distance between you. Sliding into a brawly ship as a kiter your first priority should ALWAYS be pulling range as it will typically decide the outcome of the fight: You either pull range and point them and they cant do anything, or you fail to pull range and die.

Until you have pulled range on them nothing else matters (dont do it via orbit commands either, manual pilot to burn some distance initially)

sorry, I have to head to work so i cant go into more detail atm, lemme know if you have any questions though and I'll reply when i can
<<

Trixie Lapin

Portrait

Post 2017.02.07 04:26

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I've been thinking about the subject lately and it seemed silly to make a new post.

In solo pvp, I tend to fly beam laser ships and so I spend a lot of time trying to pull range on ab/scram/web brawlers camping a beacon at 0. Here's basically how you do it: you fit an ab and a web yourself and make sure that your ship is faster than the one you're fighting once heat and webs are accounted for. If you have a scram, you can pull range on the less common mwd ships too. So why shouldn't our fleet tacklers be prepared to do the same thing? Fast, four midslot ships would be best so that you can fit the mwd, ab, point, and either scram or web in the last slot. This way, if you get scrammed and webbed and can't coast out of range of their tackle, you have a web (or scram) and an afterburner. Maybe something like this:

SPOILER WARNING!
[Slasher, Dual-prop tackle (alpha)]

Damage Control II
200mm Steel Plates II

5MN Quad LiF Restrained Microwarpdrive
1MN Y-S8 Compact Afterburner
Faint Scoped Warp Disruptor
X5 Enduring Stasis Webifier

125mm Light Carbine Repeating Cannon I
[Empty High slot]

Small Polycarbon Engine Housing I
Small Auxiliary Thrusters I
Small Auxiliary Thrusters I

Republic Fleet Fusion S x1200

That's an alpha fit. If you can fit a T2 ab, you should. It's really fast (1749 m/s for max alpha, 2054 all V with T2 ab). If it doesn't get destroyed too quickly, it will pull range on most of the things we usually try to tackle. It doesn't have a lot of ehp and maybe it isn't survivable enough; I don't have much experience tackling so I don't really know. Most of the time, I think a web is better than a scram because there are a lot of fast ab/scram/web frigates out there. So you would need a web to be sure of escaping an ab blaster Comet, for example. On the other hand, without a scram you are vulnerable to mwd brawlers and we do encounter those as well. Dual-web traps are dangerous too, e.g. arty Thrasher (although a really clever scout would go for close orbit in that case).

I think this must surely be a better approach to plex tackling than the mwd/point/scram fits we are encouraged to use. It solves the problem of getting off the beacon in the majority of cases and still retains the ability to run down targets that aren't on the beacon. Isn't that better?
<<

Decklin Quark Reiger

Portrait

Post 2017.05.17 22:31

It's an interesting concept - I'll give it a try, but my initial thoughts are that the plate makes you to slow, and lacking agility, to be able to catch properly kitey ships, without giving enough tank to survive a brawling foe. I understand the AB and web are meant to control range in that situation, but... I personally would feel safer sliding in with an agile fast frigate. I'll give it a try though, and see how it goes :)
<<

Trixie Lapin

Portrait

Post 2017.05.18 14:07

Decklin Quark Reiger wrote:It's an interesting concept - I'll give it a try, but my initial thoughts are that the plate makes you to slow, and lacking agility, to be able to catch properly kitey ships, without giving enough tank to survive a brawling foe. I understand the AB and web are meant to control range in that situation, but... I personally would feel safer sliding in with an agile fast frigate. I'll give it a try though, and see how it goes :)

Yeah, I made that a little ways back. Now that I have more experience sliding into defended plexes, I agree with what you said. I still like the concept of dual prop with defensive web, but this fit won't cut it. Agility is just too important.

Return to Player vs Player Combat