How to make a living at PvE

For questions about PVE, such as missions, anomalies and complexes.
Forum rules
This forum can be viewed by the public.
Julius ReifrardRenlard Toten

How to make a living at PvE

Post by Julius ReifrardRenlard Toten »

In my first few weeks of Eve I have enjoyed PvE, but the few agent missions (or random combat sites) don’t generate near the ISK rewards that I have gained doing exploration and mining. Should I just keep grinding through Level 1 missions with a certain faction to open up tougher missions? I have read that the Sisters of Eve storyline/arc is a good way to go. Maybe I should be doing that?

I am not looking to be a billionaire or anything, but the ISK discrepancy between exploration/mining v PvE made me feel like I’m missing something. Can I make a living of PvE?

Thanks,

JRRT
Essellone Reactor

Re: How to make a living at PvE

Post by Essellone Reactor »

The rewards improve as the level of mission increases. Also:

* the bounties for killing the rats in missions, and
* the loyalty points that you accrue,

can be a significant part of the rewards. The LPs can either be used to buy things for yourself or buy things to sell for ISK. Also, on higher-level missions, it can be worth salvaging everything once you're done to add to the income from each mission. Another approach is to work out ways of reducing/minimizing the time it takes you to do each mission so that you can complete more missions in an amount of time - so-called blitzing.

It's hard for anybody to say whether missions would net you sufficient ISK for you to be happy - that's a determination you have to make for yourself.

On the PvE front, you might want to think about Incursions - these are high-end fleet PvE which are pretty lucrative. There is a bit of a lead-in required in terms of necessary skills etc. but in the Uni Incursions group the payments for the "off-grid roles" are not shabby and good enough to help you save for a pirate battleship whilst you're training up :-).

https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Incursions
Villon Marquette

Post by Villon Marquette »

Hey Julius,

Welcome again to the Uni. If you don't mind, I'm going to answer your question (to the best of my ability) in two different ways; a direct answer, and then a bit more round-a-bout answer.

Answer 1:

The direct answer is YES, you can make a living at PvE. With that answer comes some basic assumptions based on your description of PvE. The first assumption is that you're defining PvE as NPC combat, and the second is that you're defining PvE as either single or multi-player; though admittedly it sounds like you're favoring single player at the moment.

To continue that answer and to elaborate a bit, L1 missions tend to earn less than 1M ISK per hour whereas L2 missions can earn you a few million ISK per hour, L3 missions can earn you 5-10M ISK per hour and L4 missions, I've heard, can earn you 20M, 30M, 40M... all the way up to 200M depending on the size and fit of your ship. And in addition to the missions, there's ratting which, while it doesn't earn you much at lower levels, can bring in 50M+ pretty easily when you're doing Sleeper Sites in WH space. Finally, there's Abyssal space once you're sitting comfortably in a cruiser. They too can bring in dozens or hundreds of million ISK per hour.

At the same time, PvE, like most of EVE, isn't really intended to be single-player. As you get into the higher-level content, such as L4/L5 missions, strongholds, and Incursions you have to work with others in a fleet. But as you do, the rewards increase exponentially.

Vanguard Incursions (the type I've seen the Uni do most) earn about 10M ISK per site. We were doing sites for about 2.5 hours last night and cleared 21 sites. That's 210M in 2.5 hours. Divide that out, and you're looking at around 85M / hour. With those numbers, you can definitely "make a living" at just doing PvE.

Answer 2:

I like to think of PvE in the broader sense of any activities which pit me against the AI or the game's rules, not just combat. If you look at it from that perspective, then PvE can be exploration (can easily make 50M+ / hour), mining/huffing (varies by resource, ice, gas, etc.), missions, and even Project Discovery (I know I've made 10M ISK+ in an hour in PD). In addition, you can make a minimum of 5-10M per week in passive income using Planetary Production - even in High Sec.

All of those combined, there's plenty of ways to earn ISK in EVE that never require you to engage in combat with another player. A resource I found useful when I first started out was this series of articles on krabbing. https://ashyin.space/how-2-krab-mining/

Hope that helps. Fly safe!
Orientation Officer

Image Image Image Image

Thanks, this is perfect. I was doing some salvaging prior to moving to HSC, so I should head back to my original rookie campus to pick that ship up.It definitely helped.

I kind of thought Incursions were out my league so thanks for the encouragement there. Again, salvaging Incursions might even be a good starting point. I’m really down for whatever.

I didn’t really know what to do with the loyalty points, so again many thanks!

JRRT

Thanks a million, Villon!

I have an alt that I’m grooming for mining, hauling, and industry/production. You’re right, I’m asking more about combat PvE because there seemed to be a discrepancy compared to other non-combat routes (which surprised me with a game where everything is ultimately built around combat—aka military-industrial complex).

Many thanks, again. You all are great.

J

Sorry, Villon, I forgot to ask you—what do you define as “ratting?” Is that just fighting random combat sites?

J
Villon Marquette

Post by Villon Marquette »

Julius ReifrardRenlard Toten wrote:Sorry, Villon, I forgot to ask you—what do you define as “ratting?” Is that just fighting random combat sites?

J
Yep. "Rats" are just NPC ships and drones. Generally "ratting" is going around to asteroids, combat anomalies, or other non-mission sites that have hostile NPCs and killing them for bounties and salvaging.
Orientation Officer

Image Image Image Image

Villon, with the Vanguard Incursion fleets is that something I could join with my Thrasher destroyer outfitted for combat (cannons, missile launcher, and artillery) or would be best to start salvaging with my other destroyer?

Sorry, I’m just going to keep mining your brain for more nuggets,
J
Waruiru

Post by Waruiru »

Yes, you can make a good living off PVE. Incursions are high end PVE, so you should aim for them, long term. For now, try to keep raising your skills and ships and hit level 2 and 3 missions. Consider joining some of the mission fleets, as you can ask questions on Mumble and get quick answers. The forums are good, but Mumble in a fleet is great.

The rats are different in different parts of the universe. High sec belt rats might only give you a few thousand isk. A belt battleship rat at the null sec campus hit 1.25 million isk. As you learn more, you can get to the better rats.

Perfect! Thanks, Waruiru!
Falling Snow KumaMoto

Post by Falling Snow KumaMoto »

Note on an unanswered question: The Incursions they are talking about are generally run in Battleships (for dps) or special T2 logistics cruisers (for healing). Check https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Vanguard_Incursion_fits for more information. There is a lot to read about that, but if you're flying Vexor and then Myrmidon, then the incursion fit for you might be a Hyperion.

Even if you're not into Battleships just yet, the incursion community welcomes new people who can fly scout or picket in a corvette. Basically, you'd watch for war targets or gankers so the fleet's big battleships can blast stuff. It isn't super exciting work, but it is necessary, and the payout in both isk and EUni Karma is a sweet way to afford great fittings for your Myrmidon and then Hyperion as your skills improve.
ImageImage Image ImageImage
Tam Easson

Post by Tam Easson »

If I could be so bold, in Incursions, some of the most important team members, as you touched on, are the Logistic (Logis) Ships. Done correctly, and with a small team (3 or 4), they can turn the battle for the damage dealers by remote repairing (Reps) of Shields, Armor, or Cap then the Damage dealers start getting hit.

It doesn't take a lot to skill up to a basic support level, but learning the team work of a fleet and getting the "Mission" complete also has its rewards.

On the down side (which doesn't really bother me) is you get targeted by the Incursion AI a lot, but that's one of the reasons that 2-3 Logis fly together and rep each other in a chain

Tam

Revisiting my old post here and still finding some pearls. Lots of great advice. Since then I have settled at the LSC campus in Eugales. Making a pretty good living with exploration (lowsec and WH, even have done some sleeper caches successfully), gas mining (lowsec mainly, but these posts reminded me that I need to get back to C5 and C6 gas sites), WH harvester fleets, and PI. Plan on starting to do some Chemical Lab “gas” sites that I just learned are a combo of combat and data/relic sites. Then will probably move up to soli C2 WH sites. Most of my income comes from solo PvE as there just aren’t as many fleet opportunities at LSC that jive with my schedule. It’s definitely a case of being ready with the right ship/fit for whatever opportunity presents itself.

J
Zeerse Solaris
Title: Diplomat, AMC Officer, Mentor, Bloober, Teacher, Graduate

Post by Zeerse Solaris »

I was thinking about running some up class content on this area, and it's a bit late but there are many types of PvE combat activities.

Missioning: steady income, you can progress from levels 1-4 as your skills improve. Also people tend to forget about the loyalty points and they can be traded in for items that will sell well.

Combat anomalies: peaks and troughs. Learn which green combat anomalies can 'escalate', and fit a scanner to scan down combat signatures (some can be dangerous to you so research them). You're looking for faction modules and some of these can be worth about 100m but the drops are variable. Sites in null sec are much harder but pay much better, if you don't mind the risk of PvP.

Abyssal space: Steady but low at the easier tiers. The rewards aren't that significant until you get into the higher and harder tiers, and depending on the composition of the rats you face, can be challenging.

Wormhole ratting: Similar to combat anomalies but more difficult than high sec sites. And income is purely on salvage as no bounties are paid in WH space. You might need a salvaging buddy to reduce the time spent in the wormhole which will increase the risk of PvP.

Incursions: steady and relatively high compared with missioning. Fleet activity only so you'll need others. I won't go into that more as others have.

If you live in high sec, I would tend towards moving between missioning and combat anomalies, anomalies being more a solo thing and L4 missioning running is much quicker and pays better with a fleet+salvager.
E-uni Teacher:: Apply to be a teacher
E-uni Mentor: Apply to be a mentor