Anomic Team Burner Mission. A Newbie's Lesson.

Forum rules
This forum can be viewed by the public.
<<

Ian Tucenghi

Portrait

Coordinator

Post 2019.01.08 10:11

Anomic Team Burner Mission. A Newbie's Lesson.

Today, I received my first Anomic Team Burner Mission. The mission is to kill a Crack Commando Team. This team has gone rogue according to the Agent.

In game terms, I have to destroy the Enyo frigate ("Enyo"), while making sure that I don't get webbed and scrammed, in order to complete the mission. To complicate the situation, the Enyo has 2 companions both of which are Logi Ships. The Logi ship will automatically rep the Enyo when it takes damage.

My first action was to search by way of Google the guide on Burner Missions and look for the ship and fit required to successfully run the Burner Mission. I found the Guide and it provided the following Garmur Fit (cheap version):

[Garmur, Team Burner]
Ballistic Control System II
Ballistic Control System II
Co-Processor II

Missile Guidance Computer II
Phased Scoped Target Painter
5MN Y-T8 Compact Microwarpdrive
Polarized Rocket Launcher

Small Rocket Fuel Cache Partition II
Small Hydraulic Bay Thrusters II
Small Warhead Flare Catalyst I
Caldari Navy Mjolnir Rocket x3000

Caldari Navy Inferno Rocket x1183
Caldari Navy Nova Rocket x2491
Caldari Navy Scourge Rocket x5632
Mjolnir Javelin Rocket x842

In cargo

2K of each Caldari Navy Mjolnir, Inferno, Nova and Scourge Rockets.
Precision Script

I followed the above fitting to the letter. I even purchased skill injectors so that I can use missiles and mods (I am a projectile and drones guy). I felt good and quite confident heading to the site.

FIRST ATTEMPT

I got blown instantly because I did not Orbit the Enyo. I instead keep at ranged with one of the Logi Ship. My loss is 104++ Million ISK.

I flew back to Jita to buy a new and fully fitted Garmur Ship.

SECOND ATTEMPT

I warped in and instantly got blown away. The reason I did not follow basic rule number 3 when doing Burner Missions. The rule is "Do not enter a Team Burner again/alone in a kiting setup after you lost a Frigate. The NPCs will be at ZERO and kill you again."

I broke this rule because of my stupidity in not reading the forums thoroughly relating to Burner Missions. In this instance, I lost another 104M++ ISK.

THIRD ATTEMPT

Before my Third Attempt, I had to log off and calmed my nerves because I was already on "Tilt". While on "Tilt", I can no longer think straight and simply want to spend ISK or go broke injecting all the skills needed in order to make my Garmur Ship powerful.

After I calmed down, I made my third attempt and it was okay because the Enyo was not able to web my ship or scrammed it. The problem was I was not hitting the Enyo and Logi Ships because my range was not long enough to hit them.

I wrapped out feeling frustrated and useless. I then docked up and started messaging E-UNI General Questions Chat Room. The Unistas were very helpful and pointed out guides on how to increase my range including the skills needed. I looked it up and it said that I need to train for days in order to reach the 29KM range that I need in order to hit the Logi ship (I aim to destroy it so that It can't rep the Enyo).

I was disappointed with myself by not researching deeply the intricacies of using rockets and launchers but I was also very focused and confident to finish the mission and not quit because of some skill limitation. I don't know if this is good because looking back I should just have quit and trained the skills needed in order to run the Burner Mission - Enyo correctly.

Anyway, I read through EVE Survival website and found out that the web and scram range of the Enyo is 14KM which means that if I orbit the Enyo at 17KM (my range when using Rockets), I should be fine and at the same time be able to hit the Logi Ship.

At this stage, I was happy and really into the Mission.

FOURTH ATTEMPT

I activated my mods, hit warp, hit MWD and Orbit Enyo. I then target the Logi Ship and it was AWESOME! I was hitting it but it kept healing itself. I then checked if the other Logi was repping it which to my dismay and annoyance it was repping the Logi ship that I targeted.

Even with such knowledge, I still continue firing my rockets into it and after using 2,000 Caldari Navy Nova Rockets I warped out. I then started reading on DPS. The guide said that the required DPS in order to kill the Logi is 250 and my DPS was only 166. I was not near enough to even dent the Logi ship. I was annoyed at this stage because I already lost ISK and time to a Burner Mission that only a highly skilled pilot can complete.

But my stubborn self got the better of me, I continued and researched various alternative solutions to my problem which does not include spending multiple Skill Injectors in order to increase my skill set or bringing an ALT or friend to complete the Mission.

My research yielded one solution which is the use of an ECM module. I found various entries in EVE Online Forum and Youtube of pilots using an ECM on their Garmur or Kestrel to complete the mission. I looked at their fits and tried them on my fitting window which did not result well for me. I simply did not have Cap to fit the module.

I then stopped at looking at fits and started putting together a fit that is viable and feasible bearing my Pilot's limited skills. The outcome is this fit:

[Garmur, My Fit]
Co-Processor II
Domination Ballistic Control System
Domination Ballistic Control System

Hypnos Scoped Magnetometric ECM
5MN Y-T8 Compact Microwarpdrive

Small Warhead Flare Catalyst I
Small Rocket Fuel Cache Partition II
Small Hydraulic Bay Thrusters II

Caldari Navy Mjolnir Rocket x2466
Missile Range Script x2
Caldari Navy Inferno Rocket x1105
Caldari Navy Nova Rocket x2100

At this stage, I was already certain that I can finish the Mission.

FIFTH ATTEMPT

I activated my mods, warped in, activated MWD, target Enyo, and Orbit Enyo.

I then started hitting the nearest Logi ship while jamming the other Logi ship. The jammed Logi ship warped out of my range which was good because it can no longer repair the damaged Logi ship. In this instance, I finally found the value of Distance as indicated in my Overview and it calmed my nerves because I now know where exactly is the other ship and whether it can hit or assist the damaged Logi Ship.

After I destroyed the first Logi ship, I proceeded to destroy the Enyo while jamming the existing Logi ship. My ECM did not work so I switched my attack and proceeded to destroy the second Logi ship. All the time, I was turning off and on some of my modules including my ECM in order not to run out of Cap and to keep my MWD running.

Afterward, I then attack the Enyo and blew it up. At that moment, I felt joy and thoroughly felt what EVE is which is PVP. :)

Anyway, MY LESSONS ARE:

1. Know and understand the mission thoroughly including its technical details such as range of the opponent, DPS, distance, position and when to overheat or manage the Ships' Cap.

2. Train the necessary skills but only after knowing and understanding the purpose of said skills. This will give the pilot an understanding of his/her limits and strengths.

3. Don't "COPY AND PASTE" a fit blindly.

EVE is a game where "IT DEPENDS" matter. A fit's viability will depend on the skills of the pilot using the fit. As shown above, I can't use the standard fit given by the Guide. I had to make my own in order to succeed. This means that in order to succeed in EVE each pilot must take the time to understand the fit (this includes fitting principles) and how to apply them in actual combat or missions.

4. Learning through practice is expensive. I basically used up a lot of ISK in order to complete this mission. Hence, it is important to find ways to earn ISK which includes Incursions, PI, Industry, Mining and blitzing L4 and burner missions. I do PI, Incursions and Mission Running in order to finance the above practice.

As to how to do the above, E-UNI has the answers. :) So for NewBros, stay active with E-UNI and don't be afraid to create Content because this is the only way to learn EVE and enjoy the game.

Sorry for the Wall of Text. Please comment if I missed out on stuff or if I made an error. Thank you.
Last edited by Ian Tucenghi on 2019.01.09 10:24, edited 1 time in total.
Incursion Coordinator
<<

Conci Furiram

Portrait

Campus Manager
Campus Manager

Post 2019.01.08 15:45

Re: Anomic Team Burner Mission. A Newbie's Lesson.

Amazing write up and storytelling! Congrats on getting that first Burner kill
<<

Erwin Madelung

Portrait

Post 2019.01.09 08:44

May I introduce you to SISI. You can test stuff there without losing isk on the main server. You can also often find injectors or exctract & reinject skills so that you can test what you want to test.
<<

Ian Tucenghi

Portrait

Coordinator

Post 2019.01.09 10:29

Conci Furiram wrote:Amazing write up and storytelling! Congrats on getting that first Burner kill

Thank you. I will continue to post my experience with PVE or specifically Burner Missions because it is both a challenge and awesome to do. :D I also like the ISK that I am getting or will get when I cash my LP. 8)
Incursion Coordinator
<<

Ian Tucenghi

Portrait

Coordinator

Post 2019.01.09 10:29

Erwin Madelung wrote:May I introduce you to SISI. You can test stuff there without losing isk on the main server. You can also often find injectors or exctract & reinject skills so that you can test what you want to test.

Thank you. I will check out SISI.

o7
Incursion Coordinator
<<

Ian Thera Viliana

Portrait

Post 2019.01.11 15:52

This was a very helpful post, ty!
<<

Zoltan Irvam

Portrait

Post 2019.01.11 16:35

Hi,

great writeup of a learning experience and congratulations on being stubborn and prevailing in the end!

Zoltan
<<

Ian Tucenghi

Portrait

Coordinator

Post 2019.01.13 09:48

Ian Thera Viliana wrote:This was a very helpful post, ty!

Thank you. I will continue to post my experiences with Burner Missions with the goal to help Unistas who are into Burner Missions.

o7
Incursion Coordinator
<<

Ian Tucenghi

Portrait

Coordinator

Post 2019.01.13 09:49

Zoltan Irvam wrote:Hi,

great writeup of a learning experience and congratulations on being stubborn and prevailing in the end!

Zoltan

Thank you, much appreciated. o7
Incursion Coordinator

Return to Player vs Environment