NON-GILA *gasp* Abyssal Deadspace fits

Forum rules
This forum can be viewed by the public.
<<

Milja Itazura

Portrait

Post 2018.11.15 19:26

NON-GILA *gasp* Abyssal Deadspace fits

I'm going to commit PvE heresy with the subject of this thread, but I'd like to discuss Abyssal Deadspace cruiser fits that don't involve a Gila. My missile skills are nearly non-existent...I'm exclusively a Gallente pilot for the near future, as my skill queue is trending more toward industry and reprocessing at the moment. Additionally, I find the cost rather prohibitive...a decent Abyssal-site Gila will cost 500 million ISK or more, and I cringe every time I take my Dominix out for an L4 mission (and that entire fit currently costs less than the Gila hull alone).

This Reddit post that former Unista K950 referred me to outlines a T2 VNI fit that the player took through 50 T2 Electrical sites. My lesser skills required a little meta-ing, and my initial iteration died a plasma-y death to a Vedmak because the 10MN AB couldn't outrun it (a costly lesson to overheat propulsion). I've refit the VNI, swapping the AB for an MWD, and I've been taking it back out for T2 Electrical runs (I've completed two successfully in the past three days with little concern, though I haven't found another Vedmak yet). Here's how it looks now:

SPOILER WARNING!
[Vexor Navy Issue, Phoenix Ascendant]

Drone Damage Amplifier II
Drone Damage Amplifier II
Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane II
Medium Armor Repairer II
Medium Armor Repairer II
Reactive Armor Hardener

50MN Y-T8 Compact Microwarpdrive
AML Compact Omnidirectional Tracking Link, Tracking Speed Script
Medium Cap Battery II
Medium Electrochemical Capacitor Booster I, Navy Cap Booster 800

220mm Medium 'Scout' Autocannon I, EMP M
Drone Link Augmentor I
Small Coaxial Compact Remote Armor Repairer

Medium Auxiliary Nano Pump I
Medium Auxiliary Nano Pump I
Medium Nanobot Accelerator I

Caldari Navy Wasp x5
Caldari Navy Hornet x5
Caldari Navy Wasp x2

Nanite Repair Paste x21
Navy Cap Booster 800 x6
EMP M x600

This fit estimates in the 90 million price range, which is much more affordable than the ever-popular Gila or Vigilant fits out there.

So how do I fly it? To cut down on signature bloom in combat I only use the MWD when I absolutely need speed (increased angular velocity relative to my target, or getting ready to find that pesky Vedmak). But you might ask, "Why not just keep the AB and learn how to overheat, noob?" I respond by pointing out that the additional loot nodes and subnodes this week's patch installed are quite a distance from the exit gate (averaging 40-70km away). I'm going to need speed if I want any chance on looting those, and a cold MWD will get me there three times faster than a cold AB.

As for combat itself, I use Hornets for the frigates and Wasps for everything else. The moment I notice a drone taking damage I recall it to the bay; if it's a Wasp I cycle in a fresh one. If, after recalling the first damaged drone, the rats just move to the next one, I recall all drones and bring the aggro back to me for a few seconds before redeploying. For personal maneuvering, I increase angular velocity by turning perpendicular to battleships and battlecruisers, and spiral in for close combat on cruisers. I shrug frigates off, making a beeline instead for the main loot cache. If I get to the cache before the rats are dead, I'll use my Autocannon to pop it. After the rats are dead I'll MWD out to distant loot, repairing any drones that might need their armor topped off in transit. I try not to spend more than 4-5 minutes in any one room, just in case I have to do some dancing against a Vedmak or battlecruiser in the next room. The tracking-scripted link allows the Wasps to hit cruiser-size rats and up pretty effectively, and occasionally I can hit frigates with them as well if my drones are closing on them.

Trouble spots I've encountered so far: aside from the Vedmak, which is responsible for my last two Abyssal deaths, the two major drone-killers (and thus Vexor-killers) are battleships parked within an automata suppressor's range of fire and battlecruisers in general. I mitigate battlecruisers by closing them as quickly as fire will allow (increased transverse, then close range between shots, etc) while dancing my drones in and out (engage, then return ALL drones to the bay when one takes aggro, then back out and engaging). The battlecruiser's high alpha strike necessitates the use of beefier faction drones (too many two-shot Hobgoblin IIs to count), allowing me to return them to the bay before they're pulverized once I realize I'm not the BC's target anymore. The same is true of battleships that decide to sit inside a drone-killing tower's arc of fire...faction drones can sit inside the fire and continue to deal damage far longer than T2 drones, so I only have to retract them occasionally (if at all).

Too many people have said that drone boats are horrible for Abyssal sites. That may be true for T3 and above. However, I've found they're quite viable in T1 and T2 sites, provided the pilot is prepared to micromanage their movements.

Now that I've made my anti-Gila point, I'd like to know if anyone else has found decent T1 and T2 Abyssal fits that don't involve 0.5-2 billion ISK investments. Is there another faction or T1 cruiser I should be looking at?
Milja Itazura

"Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius."

"Ha ha ha, you fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is 'Never get involved in a land war in Asia,' but only slightly less well-known is this: 'Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line!'"

Current industry initiatives:

Beginner Exploration contracts available in 101

Gallente Starter Packs available in 101

Caldari Starter Packs available in 101

I'm also on the "Pretty Good Refine List"!
<<

Adrien Claremont

Portrait

Campus Manager
Campus Manager

Post 2018.11.15 19:34

Re: NON-GILA *gasp* Abyssal Deadspace fits

It looks like T3s have been re-balanced to allow for decent T1 cruiser fits.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Eve/comments/9 ... electrics/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9D8SwnABOsw

While not the Gal fits that you're looking for, I just wanted to highlight some other options that might encourage you to try out the T3s in a simply T1 cruiser.
<<

Zeerse Solaris

Portrait

Post 2018.12.01 10:39

I have tried a Thorax out on SIsi for Gallente power :OHMAHGAWD!: (only 1 dark Tier 2 so far) and it no difficulty. A cap booster may be a must against neuting cruisers. The biggest danger I had was a battleship that decided to hug the boundary, so not much room to orbit.

SPOILER WARNING!
[Thorax, Tier 2 Dark]
Damage Control II
Medium Armor Repairer II
800mm Steel Plates II

Medium Electrochemical Capacitor Booster I
Stasis Webifier II
Stasis Webifier II
10MN Y-S8 Compact Afterburner

Heavy Electron Blaster II

Medium Anti-Explosive Pump I
Medium Hybrid Burst Aerator I
Medium Trimark Armor Pump I

Hammerhead II x5

Cap Booster 400 x 20
Caldari Navy Antimatter Charge M x6000
E-uni Teacher:: Apply to be a teacher
E-uni Mentor: Apply to be a mentor
<<

Kano Fiera

Portrait

Post 2018.12.02 17:31

Adrien Claremont wrote:It looks like T3s have been re-balanced to allow for decent T1 cruiser fits.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Eve/comments/9 ... electrics/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9D8SwnABOsw

While not the Gal fits that you're looking for, I just wanted to highlight some other options that might encourage you to try out the T3s in a simply T1 cruiser.

Have any Unistas successfully cleared a T3 in a T1 cruiser? It seems like a mighty feat. I can't find any solid info on the rebalance; it's possible the rebalance is a rumor, the spawns aren't actually changed and these folks just found fantastic fits or got lucky in the videos.
<<

Milja Itazura

Portrait

Post 2019.01.10 18:08

So I was glancing through wiki pages and realized there are other pirate cruisers I could consider that aren't as inflated in price as the Gila (despite the Gila's price being a shade over 200 mil, the lowest I've seen it over the past few months). I noticed the Cynabal is currently ~140 mil, and knowing something about its PvP capabilities (usually on the receiving end) I set about playing with a fit on Pyfa. This is untested but based on a five year old blog post about Cynabals in solo PvP and currently tuned toward running Gamma abyssals (bonus to shield hp, penalty to explosive resists). I'd appreciate any feedback from more knowledgeable folks:

SPOILER WARNING!
[Cynabal, Abyssal Cynabal Gamma]
Damage Control II
Gyrostabilizer II
Gyrostabilizer II
Gyrostabilizer II
Tracking Enhancer II

50MN Y-T8 Compact Microwarpdrive
Large Shield Extender II
Adaptive Invulnerability Field II
Adaptive Invulnerability Field II
Large Compact Pb-Acid Cap Battery

425mm Medium 'Scout' Autocannon I, Republic Fleet Fusion M

Medium Anti-EM Screen Reinforcer I
Medium Core Defense Field Extender I
Medium Core Defense Field Extender I

Republic Fleet Valkyrie x5
Republic Fleet Fusion M x1500
Nanite Repair Paste x21

This fit runs ~176 mil, according to Pyfa, which also reports 408 DPS at 1.52 + 19.9km (and Fusion is primarily Explosive damage, which fits the Gamma's forced resist hole), 46.5k ehp with resists ranging from 62.5%-72.8% (again, taking into account Gamma's inflated shield hp numbers and explosive penalty) and capacitor to 4:40 even with the MWD running unheated. Due to the large shield buffer there's 90 ehp/s of recharge rate. Not much fitting room to change things due to my skills, but this thing would be much beefier than my T2 VNI (which is cap dependent and thus does better in Electrical) and thus could run T2 and potentially T3 Gamma sites.

What do you think?

Edit: Only one Cynabal has been lost in Abyssal space since Christmas, according to zKillboard. Not sure if that's due to incredible efficiency or just the opinion that if you can afford a Cynabal, you can afford a Gila (probably more the latter). Regardless, looking at the fit it's similar to mine, but with T2 guns, increased buffer instead of the cap battery (so he could have been neuted out), and the general focus on cap recharge (flux coil and mindflood). (He's carrying cap boosters, but I don't see anything he can fit them into...a holdover?)
Milja Itazura

"Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius."

"Ha ha ha, you fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is 'Never get involved in a land war in Asia,' but only slightly less well-known is this: 'Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line!'"

Current industry initiatives:

Beginner Exploration contracts available in 101

Gallente Starter Packs available in 101

Caldari Starter Packs available in 101

I'm also on the "Pretty Good Refine List"!

Return to Player vs Environment