Catalyst vs. Algos

Forum rules
This forum can be viewed by the public.
<<

Milja Itazura

Portrait

Post 2018.10.04 17:08

Catalyst vs. Algos

I started this thread to ensure I was following the rules of the Fittings forum; as I mainly talk about the Algos here, I did not think it was appropriate to have this debate in the Catalyst thread.

For those of you who haven't seen the thread, a Catalyst fit was posted to the wiki, and the question was whether there was an Algos fit that would be as effective "with ultra low skills."

Yes, the Algos requires more drone skills, but is far more forgiving when it comes to keeping range as a precursor for dealing damage (since the drones do the majority of your work, you can range out to 35km). Along those same lines, the Algos doesn't have to get in close to deal its damage (the optimal range for most small rats, from my observation); while the Catalyst has better optimal range and falloff, you still have to get in close for the best DPS. Additionally, the Algos has a few more armor and shield base HP. And if you really want to work on your gunnery with an Algos, they have five turret points as well.

It really all depends on your playstyle and which direction you want to go. If there's a viable PvE fit for a Catalyst, I say leave it in the wiki/Fleet-up, as it's a great lead-in to the Thorax and Brutix. I prefer drones, so I went the Algos direction, and I still keep some around even though I often fly Vexors and VNIs, as the Algos is far easier for me to replace. And as for "quickly" shipping up to the Vexor after Drones V, I would reference this forum post on drone boats in PvP and PvE; considering you can PvE well in an Algos once you reach Drones III (without many of the other drone skills trained), Alarien's recommended drone skills for a Vexor are quite a leap from that point (if perhaps a little outdated...the post was from 2012): Drones V, Drone Interfacing III, Scout Drones IV, Combat Drones IV, Drone Sharpshooting III, Drone Durability III, and Drone Navigation III.

Simply put, I believe the debate of Catalyst vs. Algos entirely depends on what kind of fight a Gallente newbro wants to get themselves into. If you want to be more skilled with hybrid turrets as you move forward (which lends itself more to PvP and ganking), take the Catalyst line through Thorax, etc. If you prefer your damage to come via proxy (which is great for PvE but requires far more personal ability to be effective in PvP), improve your drone skills and go down the Algos/Vexor path.

Here's another thought: regardless of what you read in the wiki, one of the Gallente's major selling points during character creation is their drone-centric style of combat. So even CCP itself seems to lead new Gallente pilots down the path to drone-dom. You might start with a Catalyst due to its low skill requirements to start, but sooner or later I believe you'd be a fool not to take some drone skills at least early on in your career for the PvE possibilities, unless you just can't keep them alive.
Milja Itazura

"Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius."

"Ha ha ha, you fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is 'Never get involved in a land war in Asia,' but only slightly less well-known is this: 'Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line!'"

Current industry initiatives:

Beginner Exploration contracts available in 101

Gallente Starter Packs available in 101

Caldari Starter Packs available in 101
<<

Erwin Madelung

Portrait

Post 2018.10.08 15:00

Re: Catalyst vs. Algos

Milja Itazura wrote:It really all depends on your playstyle and which direction you want to go. If there's a viable PvE fit for a Catalyst, I say leave it in the wiki/Fleet-up, as it's a great lead-in to the Thorax and Brutix.

I think that says it all. I didn't want to start some face off between the Catalyst and the Algos. But if you have a look at the originial thread, Zeerse Solaris wanted the PvE fits for the Catalyst removed from the wiki. I would consider that a grave mistake. As I already pointed out the Catalyst is very nice with ultra low skills. If you're a new player and just created your char, all you have to do is train Gallente Frigate to 3, Gallente Destroyer to 1, and then continue on small hybrids (1 is enough but the higher the better). Then you can fly those fits already decently with the current starting skills. If you fly an Algos with Drones 3 it will be less good. And that's already more training than for the Catalyst. I repeat: Those fits are really meant for a new player who just started, finished his career agents, and now does the Sisters of Eve epic arc.

Return to Player vs Environment