Building a new PC for Eve/School

Forum rules
EVE University's usual communications rules apply, so ensure that any topics are appropriate for a family-friendly environment.
<<

Wootini Evingod

Portrait

Post 2018.03.01 14:38

Building a new PC for Eve/School

o/ everyone,

I have squirreled away a little money to build a new tower. I have been using my HP laptop for so long. Its tired, dated, and hobbling. Really what I need is a stable PC to do school assignments on. So that's really the priority here. However I am hoping to squeeze a little performance into this thing so I can play EvE a little smoother. Right now I lag when i undock, jump through a gate, get my shit pushed in by rats, there are more than a few ships on grid, etc.

I just wanted to cast a line and see what everyone else is running currently and get some feedback on graphics cards, processors, and the like.

So what are you all running? Are you happy with your set up? Got any advice?
<<

Alcius

Portrait

Post 2018.03.01 15:11

Re: Building a new PC for Eve/School

Hey,

check this link (which is updated every month):

https://www.mmo-champion.com/content/1683/

Alternatively the new Power NUCs from Intel might be an idea: NUC8i7HVK and NUC8i7HNK
You cannot really upgrade them, but they are quite powerfull.

I build a powerhorse back in 2010 which is still running with no problems (I only updated the GPU 3 years ago). But that was on high budget.
<<

Wootini Evingod

Portrait

Post 2018.03.02 17:32

This was a great find. I poured over the list items, cross checking with Tom's Best and a few other places. I have to say it looks like they hit the mark in terms of their build. Thank you so much for sharing.
<<

Gerrik Aldent

Portrait

Post 2018.03.02 17:36

If your buying a GPU for it I would wait a couple months, the prices are rlly inflated with the Bitcoin craze.
<<

Wootini Evingod

Portrait

Post 2018.03.02 17:39

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/yK9ZLJ

This is what I am currently looking at. Its Basically the Puppy from MMO Champion.

Also I looked into the NCUs and they do look decent but like you said I'd prefer to have something that I can upgrade eventually. Given that I've gone with the i3 and the GTX 1050 there is plenty of space to grow when I have the means.
Last edited by Wootini Evingod on 2018.03.03 00:44, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Azmodeus Valar

Portrait

Director of Finance
Director of Finance

Post 2018.03.02 18:13

http://www.logicalincrements.com/ is also a good resource.
Former:
<<

Zoltan Irvam

Portrait

Post 2018.03.05 05:34

Hi,

since gfx cards are currently very expensive due to the crypto currency craze, I would try to get away with an MCU like the AMD Ryzen or Intels new Kaby Lake G series - both featuring AMD Vega graphics which will be fine for Eve.

Other things to have are 8GB RAM, better 16GB, preferably in two or four DIMMS for multichannel and an SSD of sufficient size 256GB or better 512.

But I would avoid integrated systems like the Intel NUC series as they are not expandable - having the possibility to plug in another HD or SSD, more memory or a GPU later is a good idea. A midi or even full size case will make this very easy, unlike smaller packages.

A cheap complete PC from Walmart et al might be a good start although you will probably have to replace the power supply to when you want to plug in a power GPU later - even with that counted in the complete offer might be cheaper. Just make sure it uses a standard ATX case and PSU, not some funky stuff.

Regards,

Zoltan
<<

Wootini Evingod

Portrait

Post 2018.03.06 23:08

Zoltan Irvam wrote:Hi,

since gfx cards are currently very expensive due to the crypto currency craze, I would try to get away with an MCU like the AMD Ryzen or Intels new Kaby Lake G series - both featuring AMD Vega graphics which will be fine for Eve.

Other things to have are 8GB RAM, better 16GB, preferably in two or four DIMMS for multichannel and an SSD of sufficient size 256GB or better 512.

But I would avoid integrated systems like the Intel NUC series as they are not expandable - having the possibility to plug in another HD or SSD, more memory or a GPU later is a good idea. A midi or even full size case will make this very easy, unlike smaller packages.

A cheap complete PC from Walmart et al might be a good start although you will probably have to replace the power supply to when you want to plug in a power GPU later - even with that counted in the complete offer might be cheaper. Just make sure it uses a standard ATX case and PSU, not some funky stuff.

Regards,

Zoltan

Zoltan,

I did not pull out all the stops and snag a Vega. The build I linked is actually less than the cost of AMD Vega gfx card. I went with a WD Blue 1TB Desktop Hard Disk Drive - 7200 RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache instead of a SSD. I was trying to keep the cost down while giving myself room to improve if and when I could. I wish I had the means to go hog wild but I am very happy with what I am putting together. The case gets in Friday, so I will hopefully get it together over the weekend.
<<

Dee 2G

Portrait

Post 2018.03.20 14:41

Are you willing to build it yourself or are you looking to buy one off the shelf. Also, what's your budget?

Return to General Chat & Discussion