What book do you like to read?

For general discussion of anything not related to EVE Online.
Forum rules
EVE University's usual communications rules apply, so ensure that any topics are appropriate for a family-friendly environment.
Saren Achara

What book do you like to read?

Post by Saren Achara »

I have many books that I keep on neglecting to read, the book that I enjoyed the most is the first dune book by Frank Herbert, published in 1965. It is so complicated for me to read this book but I continue to re read Dune because the universe sounds appealing to me.
Mynutor

Re: What book do you like to read?

Post by Mynutor »

I like the first few dune books (Dune, messiah, children of dune), very much and read them several times.
I used to read a lot of fantasy and historical fiction (like lord of the rings and the three musketeers), but nowadays I like to read "real adventure" books.
For example: Around the world in 80 days, or Eat and Run, or Running Britain or Relentless.

If you are interested in Sci-Fi books, I really liked: everything from William Gibson and Philip K. Dick, if you like Star Wars I really liked the X-Wing books and the Timothy Zahn books. The Star Trek books are neat too. I am a big fan of the Shadowrun books or the The Stainless Steel Rat series.

Here is a list of other good Sci-Fi books.
Saren Achara

Post by Saren Achara »

the other dune books were written by his son right? are they still good?
Mynutor

Post by Mynutor »

They are quite different. I don't like the last three books of the original series at all (God Emperor, Heretics or Chapterhouse) so I didn't read hunters of dune or sandworms of dune.

From the new series (cowritten by Kevin J Anderson who has several good Star Wars and similar books) I liked the "House trilogy" (also called Prelude to Dune), but it is quite different to the originals.
I also liked the Legends of Dune trilogy, which is again quite different. I haven't read the rest (I kinda stopped reading Sci-Fi, they might be good).
I would recommend them, but expect less philosophy and more action.
Gaelic Wolf

Post by Gaelic Wolf »

Read Dune years ago and loved it, might have to have a re-read. I can recommend Foundation by Issac Ansimov, or I Robot by the same author. Both fantastic. Currently reading Oathbringer by Brandon Sanderson. I love his world building and can recoomend MistBorn series from him too :)
Arouse a bee, and it will come at you with the force of a dragon.

Sera Faluvious

Post by Sera Faluvious »

Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C. Clarke is a great read for some far out sci-fi.
ImageImage
Heiralar Andven

Post by Heiralar Andven »

For some space and alien adventures, I highly recommend Expeditionary Force by Craig Alanson. Audio books are amazing, narrated by R.C. Bray.

Also I highly recommend the Dresden Files, if you enjoy wizards and the main character getting beat up on almost every page. Also really good narrator if you want to listen to it, James Marsters.
Mali Brocreux

Post by Mali Brocreux »

Some great suggestions here.

My favourite to re-read is the Culture series by Iain M. Banks: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_series

I think _Excession_ was my favourite (due to the personalities of the ships), but they're all great.
ImageImage
Alexis Vermillion

Post by Alexis Vermillion »

I like the Horus Heresy books myself, love me some Warhammer lore and story :)
Dio Szaros Macska

Post by Dio Szaros Macska »

[*]I tried reading Dune about 30-odd years ago. I'd like to try it again, but I don't have as much time as I'd like to get engaged with a book.
If you like the idea of Cold-War psychic spies and vampires as ruthless, amoral predators, I can recommend the Necroscope series. The first five I've read a few times. The later ones I'm not so familiar with, but I like them :) [https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Necroscope/]
ImageImage
Lucia Caine

Post by Lucia Caine »

If you are interested in a more military-focused Sci-Fi Novel, I would recommend the Honorverse Series by David Weber. It can be a bit dry at certain points, but it features interesting, original Sci-Fi concepts. It's about a war between two spacefaring nations and highlights the political, economic and geographical aspects of the war very well (imo). On the other hand, characters can occasionally feel bland and superficial. Nonetheless, I feel it may be an interesting read. The first few books are free to download at the publisher's website as well. The Publisher is Baen Books.
Chan Maulerant

Post by Chan Maulerant »

Gaelic Wolf wrote: 2023.03.20 18:27 Currently reading Oathbringer by Brandon Sanderson. I love his world building and can recoomend MistBorn series from him too :)
Definitely can also recommend the Mistborn series. Brandon Sanderson is a great writer with great world building so I'm also interested in reading his other works.

If its not to overwhelming you could also try jumping into the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett. Theres loads of different entry points into the series. Some books read slower than others but I'm pretty sure theres a pick for everyone.

If you havent already I'd also recommend reading the Witcher books. (please don't be discouraged by the netflix tv show, the books are actually good)
Crazyadz

Post by Crazyadz »

For Fantasy, Malazan Book of the Fallen. It explores the overall human condition in a postmodern structure, quite unlike a typical approach to the genre. It can be daunting to begin, but it is a story that deserves to be read.

For Sci-fi the Teixcalaan series by Arkady Martine is some of the best new sci-fi. Really goes into linguistics as the linchpin of culture.