My first few months in the UNI

Forum rules
EVE University's usual communications rules apply, so ensure that any topics are appropriate for a family-friendly environment.
<<

Zemballa Aideron

Portrait

Post 2018.04.15 13:32

My first few months in the UNI

week one flies around wondering what to do.

week two join the AMC make rocks into smaller rock make a few million ISK =) listen to chat and learn there are more ways to make Isk.

Week three get a mentor (Martin Vanzyl) teaches me about wormholes and pvp opens my eyes a little shows me some tools and explains what wormholes are and how to get around in them.

week five Mentor cuts me loose and I run for it.try some pvp out in a wormhole..... mistakes were made go to Jita to get a bigger better ship. going to Jita was a bad ideal who pops a venture no big deal never fly what you cant afford.

fast forward because I don't remember the weeks anymore I join the incursion fleet this is fun sure I'm looking at gates for an hour or two but that's not it. the chat is great and funny. I feel like I am important even though I never shot. I can hear the call outs and indirectly learn what to do. I'm scared I will mess up and get them in trouble so I focus so hard I cant hear them sometimes but that fear is what makes it fun. Last night I didn't want to leave I was picket but I had IRL stuff that needs to get done. I hope they made the goal of 100 sites in 24ish hours you guys were killing it.
<<

Zemballa Aideron

Portrait

Post 2018.04.17 20:47

Re: My first few months in the UNI

Update I've got my wife to play now she not sure what she wants to do but she wants to play with me. Her interest is inventing thing for me to fly. when I was hunting down a good wormhole she said she wants to do that also.

I've made my first big trade spent 25 million but made 30 so not huge but its a start. I also upgraded my ship to tank so damage but I don't have the skill set yet to deal the pain to others so I'll just keep playing hide and seek in the wormhole until I join the WHC.

I will update this every month or so maybe I'll call this diary of a wimpy explorer or something.
<<

Zemballa Aideron

Portrait

Post 2018.05.28 00:09

Time has passed since the last time I posted. I need a little content for the forms. I apologize for being late I intended to post something around the 15 of May.
I entered the NSC to learn how to fight back; I'm exhausted from being a wimpy explore. The people over at the NSC are great they will teach you what you need to survive. A beneficial tip is to scout out your territories to make some tactical bookmarks to help bypass bubbles. When going to the NSC, it is best to fly in an interceptor to fly directly through bubbles. The NSC will assist you to get to the station. You will need to join the channel, and the NSC will keep watching out for you. The pine cones are in the region don't trust them they will kill you and they don't fight clean but who do. The best thing to do now is to leave them alone. I would love to fight them, but we continue to backing down ill collect their bodies one day. Apologies, my bloodlust was coming out. Everyone in the NSC will help you out, but Mongo the Mechanic help me out the most. He is busy, and all ways seem to want to support a new guy.
<<

Xafen Katapi

Portrait

Post 2018.05.28 05:48

Ha! Love the bit about, go to Jita, mistakes were made =0

Glad you're getting around well
<<

Hideo Date

Portrait

Communications Manager
Communications Manager

Post 2018.05.29 18:55

Interesting write-ups so far. Looking forward to more!

Maybe we could feature your stories on our blog (eveuniversity.org) sometime?
Communications Manager

EVE Uni blog
EVE Uni Twitter
EVE Uni Facebook

Personnel Officer

You can find me on Twitter @hideo_date
I stream over at: https://www.twitch.tv/hideodate
<<

Ramong Pares

Portrait

Post 2018.05.30 08:46

+1 for Mongo being a great guy!
But yeah, most people at the NSC are very helpful!
<<

Zemballa Aideron

Portrait

Post 2018.06.03 01:00

I have been feeling froggy and wanted to post something all week. My stories are for those newer pilots that need a little guidance and the vets that want a good laugh. I am not a pro far from it. I would love advice from anyone that is willing to give it. Also, I'll help you out best I can if you ask me. Enjoy!!

We were taking on a ship sorry I can remember the name. Mongo was leading the charge. I think Mongo is crazy, but, I feel better knowing he is willing to lose his ship first if this goes south. I warp in at 50km and unleash my torpedos I love the sound they make as they dart in space. The fleet is doing work for Mongo. He asks for more dps. I overheat my launchers, and Now this is where I made my blunder. I didn't tell him when I stopped overheating sounds small, but I feel we didn't get the kill because I didn't communicate I was running too hot. We pull out, and everyone including to target is ok with a rematch. When we come back after 5 minutes, we commence, but this time there is an interceptor watching, pinecone scout. The fight starts I am overheating every third barrage we doing great, but I see this small red wormhole come out of nowhere Mongo tells us to warp off they are warping something on the grid. I get a, and it looks super cool, but that is washed over by anger we lost our kill. The NSC was down in the dumps afterward even though we didn't lose a ship. Guys, we are on hard times right now, but it is like my mentor Martin Vanzyl said to me we need to wait for a bigger fish to come and take them out. Martin is like Yoda with a little Spock, a lot of knowledge and wants you to be a great pilot.
The lesson is don't be afraid to talk. Mongo saves us all a rebuy tax while I may have cost us a juicy kill board post. Anyone in the Uni will help you out. The uni is about learning, teaching, and fun. My dad said a closed mouth gets no food, keep that in mind when you don't know what something is or how to get it. "by the way that means ask for help."
<<

Mike Kingswell

Portrait

Post 2018.06.03 10:45

Great read for newbros!
Image Image
<<

Mongo the Mechanic

Portrait

Post 2018.06.03 14:28

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Zemballa. I’m learning this stuff right along with the rest of you and hopefully we all get better at recognizing how the fight will evolve. I really appreciate you getting out there and getting into the fight and I’m absolutely sure your not being able to overheat forever wasn’t the reason we lost the kill. Sounds like you are learning how to do that just fine, it’s a fine line to walk keeping damage up without burning out modules.
<<

Zemballa Aideron

Portrait

Post 2018.06.21 19:31

I am back with another report this time from unknown space Via WHC. Wormhole space seems to be the most locative sole space so far. Jspace as dangerous as it is I feel like you have the most control over what happens. Now it is true you can't trust that you are not being watched but if you fly safely and only what you can afford to loose catch me if you can.

Here is a short story for you guys [names will not be entered to protect WHC] Newyork and I are talking it up in Mumble.[if You don't have Mumble. Please try to find a way to get it. ] we are talking about PvP and how we are wanted to get in a little dogfight. Newyork jumps into a Low Sec whole and finds a guy mining "perfect," and the guy stayed in the area when he dropped in. Newyork tells me to fit up emp damage, and we start to warp off. By now I have the halo theme song playing in my head ready to jump in and burn him down. Newyork is my tackle, and he finally drops to zero, and the mining barge already was alined, and drone in the bay all Newyork has to look at is ice dust. I am not made it would have just been cake to kill him other than that it was still fun.

If you go to the WHC you will have fun, to be honest, you will have fun anywhere you go I still want to fly with the NSC craw, and I had some excellent talks with the AMC for the little time I was there, and the incursions group is just a blast. The only thing I ask of you if you do join any campus is you have fun and ask questions.
<<

Troven Smalvard

Portrait

Assistant Orientation Manager
Assistant Orientation Manager

Post 2018.06.22 06:31

Glad your still enjoying trying all the new things, you don't seemed to have died much yourself maybe not so green as you think :p

just highlighting what your post above says in a different way, for all the new joiners reading.
You're not fixed to a campus, you can join more than one/all of them as you please and come and go, hang out in mumble, slack and chat, ask questions without necessarily being there. So try them all or any that sound like you mind find interesting and there is no commitment

Of course its nice to fly along side the girls and guys (and Omnipotent supercomputer cyborgs) you're talking too, and I recommend you do that as much as possible but its useful to build your network all over so you can get info if you need it

Also keep up the mini blog Zemballa, its a nice insight and gives me a laugh in lunch time :)
wave next time you're in jspace (just not in local)

ImageImage ImageImage
<<

Zemballa Aideron

Portrait

Post 2018.07.08 16:46

Hi, ladies and gentlemen, last night was rough. I'm back once more from somewhere in J-space. Like I said last night was rough. I slept over in an Unknown wormhole that was occupied. Ok, I don't know how occupied it was, but there was a citadel out there. What had happened was Me Sone and Rider just finished running a few sites. I left them to get some food for the wife. I come back no one is one, so I think to myself cool ill scan down a few holes and raid the first C3 I find. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=td-CfSEI8Rk . I failed one hack and got about 66mil in loot I did see someone on D-scan, but they disappeared as fast as they showed up maybe they went to that Citadel time to leave. I fly to the hole no hole https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lj0ehBeCu0c. I fly to another hole jump in; my entry was the only sig. I go back to the original one and think about ending it all. I hit the timer and watch the countdown. The I hear Martin tell me if there is a way in there is a way out just need to wait for it. of course I don't know what he sounds like, but you get the jus. I stop the countdown and sleep on it. I someone else hole made me feel dirty. I wake up to get something to eat and get extra TP just in case I crap my self when I get on to eve, and I'm still stuck. When I get on three holes opened one to null the other two to unknown. Let 's check the null yup bubbled means I may not be alone. I jump through the C3 hole no one on D-scan three more hole one to dangerous one back the way I came (see sound effects above) one to low I jump through the low thinking but then null on the other side. Seven jumps from eggs thank you CCP I love you guys "cough til next path" I made it home.

The lesson
If you get stuck, there is a way out just have to cool off and come back to it. Before I joined WHC, I would have given up in the situation, But the Uni gives you tools to help you out here are a few I used that are not classified
http://www.ellatha.com/eve/wormholelist.asp
http://anoik.is/systems/J105719
https://mapper.eveuniversity.org/
<<

Zemballa Aideron

Portrait

Post 2018.07.15 18:11

I am not sure if this is a tip or not. I have been trying out new ways to hack cans and be stealthily doing it. I warp to the site at about 100 this lets me look around a little. Next, I turn away from the cans and try to get over 150 away and make a bookmark now I have a place to come back. I like to warp between the marker and the cans using cloaking to pop on and off Dscan. Bouncing seems to help in hostile areas. When you do warp to the container, it puts you in hack range. I can stay cloaked and move fast too. Now I need to work on hacking speed and accuracy.

Return to General Chat & Discussion