[HSG/LSC/NSC] UNI has teeth

Pehuen
Retired Director
Retired Director
Title: Director Emeritus, Graduate

[HSG/LSC/NSC] UNI has teeth

Post by Pehuen »

Cause I don't want neg points from Zeeba

Just as we're about to head out on a roam at the LSC, the HSG calls that they are being harassed by a Proteus, a WT one. I've really been wanting to poke at the WT so I headed up in an inty.
My initial idea was to just get tackle for the HSG and let them DPS it down. But since a roam was happening, and HSG was fairly confident they could get the WT out; I asked the LSC to bring the pain. Actually I asked them to bring medics, HSG had DPS but no logi.

I get to HSG, get some more intel, and just sit in space. The LSC crew gets to the last low sec spot and sits there for a while.
For the next 30 minutes or so there was nothing going on; no activity from the HSG WT, and other WTs nearby were really not showing any serious activity.
Slowly we get intel of 1 or 2 WTs in RAN; so I get the idea to put a prober in there, maybe we get a WT off station.
By the time the prober gets in there, there are 4 WTs sighted. Eventually our prober will find them on a POS; I brightly ask if it's a WT POS, thinking it would be hilarious. Turns out it's not a WT POS, and I get sad... about 30 seconds later our scout reports that they are BASHING the POS and calls out a Vargur, Nightmare, Sleipnir and Hyperion. I immediately ping LSC and NSC and call for a few more Exeqs, as I know it would be a long fight with OOC reps on their side.

I try to get as many interceptors as I can; the plan was to jump fast tackle in with the fleet 2-3 jumps away. I did not want to spook them, and I know WTs have scouts everywhere. Our main DPS was still in low sec at this point, so I have them jump in and align to the out gate and I go check what the NSC can bring. I myself jumped through RAN and went to the other side seeing if more WT would be joining them.

The next 1-10 minutes (can't tell you how long it is, felt like an hour) is waiting to get enough tackle in the right position. Our LSC group is waiting anxiously asking if they can start moving closer; still didn't want to spook the WT. NSC says they are around 5j

Next thing that happens is NSC calls out that they are on the Vay gate; and I frantically call all tackle in, Vay gate was a bit closer than I wanted support to be at and I knew WT had eyes there, so all tackle in, all tackle in get a point on something quick!
In the middle of this I'm trying to get myself in there and also coordinate the calling of things; which delays me getting on grid. Our prober was our initial warp in, but he has to get off grid. Our secondary warp in goes down, tackle is going down faster than I wanted, I land and get point on something and call myself as the new warp in for the rest of the fleet.
This is where things get a little crazy; as I'm calling out for all fleet to come in and for logi to warp at range I notice that I'm no longer orbiting. Not "sure" what happened here, I think I may have bounced on the POS shield; I start to manually pilot as another tackle needs to disengage and possibly another goes down to WT damage.
Fleet starts landing, secondary tackle starts being called; but this is looking like a possible bigger engagement than we can handle so I toss out a campusbatphone.

Initially all focus is on their NM; get the juicy down.. until 3 Basilisk land and start repping. In hind-sight, me being in an inty was not the ideal ship to FC from. Our main DPS was TweetFleet, which has non-existent range. The NM is not breaking, I call for all DPS to switch to a Basi... the Basi is not breaking, and I start trying to figure out what to do and even ask the glorious Zeeba for ideas.

Shortly after calls go out that a Basi is breaking; silly TweetFleet was probably getting into range. Overheat is called, and the Basi finally breaks!
Next up Night Mare! No no no, another Basi, they have 4 of them! They have 3 Basi and the next one is not breaking. I call all DPS off and target all 3 Basi... 3.2.1 all DPS on the Basi, slower than I want since I suck at knowing TweetFleet range. However it starts to break, slowly, and boom 2nd Basi down.
Night Mare now!? Nope, I'm thinking they will bring re-ships so another Basi, finish the Basi's off! And we do.. the rest is just mopping up field. They bring a Scythe and and Aug, I call tackle on those as we mop up the floor. Once their main logi dropped it was just a matter of moving those no-range Thoraxes around and finishing it of.

Field is ours, loot all the things, and anchor up cause our Logi are still suspect.
Awesome Video of the engagement from a logi perspective by Fyery Phoenix:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWF00E0jY4o

Pro:
HSG brought some serious content
LSC had serious patience at Low Sec - major props to those guys for waiting 40+ minutes
NSC shows campus cooperation is at an all time high
Comms were good - orders were followed and we didn't get too crazy - the fleet put up with my FCing from an inty
Our losses were very low
WTs went boom

Cons:
There really are no cons on these engagement. There were some questionable fits, but given that this was not a pre-planned strict doctrine that's expected. I think the UNI really shined on this one and showed that, even when impromptu, can kick some serious behind.
I would have liked to have been in a different ship to FC or have had a better secondary FC. But given that we went from no content to engaging 5 WT with OOC support so quickly we did awesome.

BR: http://killfeed.eveuniversity.org/?a=ki ... _id=262139
Kills: 3.49B
Losses: 0.16B

Logi:
Curieux Bizarre
Dmitry Psykovny
Moab Achasse
Fyery Phoenix
Professor Academiac
- if there are any more, please let me know.

Scouts:
Twpsyn
Carson Dauber
Megoste
- if there are any more, please let me know (primarily who was the bait that stayed in Amy?)
Last edited by Pehuen on 2015.03.29 21:48, edited 1 time in total.
Lixet Hekki

Re: [HSG/LSC/NSC] UNI has teeth

Post by Lixet Hekki »

Was there in spirit cheering you on, probably caused you to stopped orbiting :P

*waves in the far back background*
Proud member of the LSC who chose to join Cynosural Field Theory and will probably be the last.
ImageImage
Image Image Image Image Image
Rocom

Post by Rocom »

That was fun, and it's funny how quickly it escalated from us waiting around for them to take the bait to bumrushing to juicy WT's 4 jumps from our original target lol.

Oh and I think a few of the guys from MC was with us as well.
Speig Yotosala

Post by Speig Yotosala »

Nicely done Pehuen.
Small gang (5/5) Frigs/Dessies (5/5) Armor Brawling (5/5) Shield Kiting (5/5) Experimental (5/5)
Bazeleel Therdrad

Post by Bazeleel Therdrad »

It was realy fun. I am from the HSG and this was my first time to hunt WTs in a fleet and some of my first Real pvp. i hope to do this again soon
Space tribeS

Post by Space tribeS »

Ahhh i missed all the good stuff.....

ILL BE THERE NEXT TIME! :smug:

Good job to all ... and cant tell you how good i feel after losing my SNI , 10 min before DT ....to them!

THUMBS UP - LOOKING FORWARD JOINGING THE ASSKICKING!!!
Curieux Bizarre

Post by Curieux Bizarre »

Great fun all. Thanks to Professor for anchoring logi and keeping us in range of friendlies and out of range of hostiles (ok actually we weren't out of range of hostiles but the reps were strong with these ones).
Martin Vanzyl
Title: Assistant Manager (Mentors), Mentor, A Froody Hoop, Ensign, Graduate, Management

Post by Martin Vanzyl »

Amazing... utterly stupendous... absolutely well done to all involved.

And WT's dying in a expensive BS and a BC despite using OOC logi in hisec? The following feeling registers strongly...

EVE University - WHC Camper - FCC
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
FCC - Fleet Command Course
Thomas Araya

Post by Thomas Araya »

Very interesting reading for a newbie. Hope I can also have some fun and action next time. :)
Neonen Enderas (Biomassed 2017.06.23)

Post by Neonen Enderas (Biomassed 2017.06.23) »

Well done, sad I was sleeping. :)

I hope they drop the war dec now, their losses are spreading through New Eden.. and everyone is laughing at them. :)
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Did someone say "Stealthbomber"? Explosions? And ECM? I'm in! Let's blow shit up! ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Azmodeus Valar
Retired Director
Retired Director
Title: Director of Finance

Post by Azmodeus Valar »

Awesome job.
Former:
LeFleur
Title: Le fleur de haute sécurité, Graduate

Post by LeFleur »

I was chatting with the people in the HSG and we are quite happy about this, and then some things just hit me.

1) war declaring corps sometimes take contracts to take out a POS, so perhaps we interrupted their delivery of the promised kill.

2) and this one is hilarious when you think it from a very particular angle: the uni caught this guys POS bashing, which is as close to PVE you can get while still PVPing. So a little poetic justice there.
Richard Marte
Title: Sophomore

Post by Richard Marte »

It also tips up their intended POS victims of what was going on a bit earlier than they'd otherwise get from reinforcement. That isn't necessarily a big deal though unless they can actually guard the thing 24x7, but it could give them time to re-configure the POS or whatever.

Too bad I missed the time. I was over in Amy earlier yesterday and noticed the lack of logi. I'm going to try to keep a few cruisers over there for future QRF. I'd suggest that HSG post some recommended QRF doctrines - having ships staged and ready makes getting over there a lot faster and gives everybody more options for reshipping. I suspect the frigate/cruiser PVP skills in HSG might be a bit lower than in the other campuses for newer players, so that probably needs to be considered for the fits. However, there isn't THAT much difference between flying a PVE and a PVP Vexor. I've never seen sentry PVP fleets in action, but I suspect that sentry and drone skills in general at HSG are going to be above average considering player age and it might make sense to augment fleet DD using HSG in this way (have HSG PVE-oriented players warp in at range after fleet is engaged and snipe).

Actually, I suspect that many PVE sniping fits might be useful for PVP as well as long as they aren't the only ships on field and they are ready to run if approached. They tend to be fit for long-term low-dps tanking, which is probably all they'll see at long range unless against a large fleet set up for range.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Twpsyn

Post by Twpsyn »

This was really fun, so happy I logged in when I did.

Makes me want to keep a couple ships in Stacmon though, I was a jump out of Stacmon when Pehuen redirected me to go see where the WT's were going. Would have been nice to be in a slightly more combat fit ship. A travel inty is great for zipping around, but even with a long point, not so good for surviving as initial tackle lol.
Zang Xuu

Post by Zang Xuu »

Awesome! Awesome! Awesome!