[AAR] 2020-03-02 Rail Armour Thorax / Exequror Low/NullSec

Nienke Solette

[AAR] 2020-03-02 Rail Armour Thorax / Exequror Low/NullSec

Post by Nienke Solette »

This time a fleet in the morning/afternoon! The fleet's mission: have fun, pew-pew, moar fun, moar pew-pew and learn a bit.

For people who don't know my AARs: they are quite detailed, often contain videos and are usually quite long. Feel free to just read the TLDR + overall evaluation. In this fleet, the recordings, unfortunately, were corrupted. FC's PC did not like the juice it was getting from the wall and decided to die for a second.

Roam members (7)
Spoiler
Analee Tsasa - Magus
BattlePig Mac - Thorax
De W Javqe - Sabre
Hippla Tsero - Exequror
Nienke Solette - Thorax
Samsam James - Thorax
StuMzaLu - Exequror
TLDR
Numbers were lower than usual, probably because of the earlier start time. In 3 hours we had fun, got a couple of kills and got blown up in a big ball of fire in NullSec. The fleet composition was 2 Logi, 1 booster/boosher (Magus), 3 DD for our LowSec part. A scout/bubbler joined later in the NullSec part of this fleet. Not having a scout for the LowSec part was... interesting and has some problems. Just like last time, we practised booshing before our hunt/roam. We had three fights of which two in LowSec and one in NullSec. The first fight was heavily in our favour and despite gate guns, we deshipped a Raven without a loss. The second fight, we took the bait at a medium plex in Tama. I warped the fleet off when a Carrier landed, reducing our losses to one Logi and our Magus. The third fight was in NullSec where we may have been able to take down a Kikimora, but FC didn't notice it on the overview and the fleet went down pretty quickly. ISK positivity: the NullSec fight made it more negative than needed. I'm quite happy with the LowSec part though. Mission accomplished.

Fleet preparation
Spoiler
This time I created the doctrine myself. Conditions: Cruiser Skirmish (same for next week). For the Thorax, I had the option to go Armour or Shield and Micro Warp Drive or Afterburner. I went for Armour / MWD to get a bit more tank while still staying fairly agile (on the condition we didn't get scrammed).

The preparation the morning of the fleet was good, my previously made checklist worked wonderfully again. I looked at my previous [https://forum.eveuniversity.org/viewtop ... 6&t=115782]AAR[/url] and my doctrine to refresh myself and get my head into the game.

Fleet support program was fabulous again with providing ships on contract at Ichoriya. Unfortunately, because the theorycrafting of the doctrine took some time, I was a bit late with filling in the form, which is why there weren't ships at my initial form-up location.

After undocking, we did a small practical class on booshing just as last time, which was great.

No arranged fights this time. While it was harder to find content, we still got some. However, I do prefer Monday evening fleets because of the activity of Tuskers/Buntspecht.
Fleet doctrine
Spoiler
As mentioned, earlier in this AAR, we used Rail Armour MWD Thoraxes and Exequrors. I had multiple reasons to do this: 1) I need to practice skirmish doctrines 2) to do so, I figured it would be nice if the fleet could stay on the grid as long as possible. Therefore, I fitted the Thorax with Rail guns for the range, Armour for the improved tank (compared to shield) and MWD to keep a bit of agility/velocity despite our plates in the low slot. As for tackle, I went for a point and a web. The point was meant to keep targets on the grid and the web is aimed to slow down any pesky frigates which would come too close.

For Logi, I went for the Exequror. While harder on SP, I expected fewer people in the fleet and therefore a decreased effectiveness of a cap chain. Furthermore, I thought it was better to use the extra mid and low slot the Exequror provides.

In the fits, I included boosters to get into the habit of using them.
Kills and Losses
(12:13:44) Pynekastoh
Raven +278.8m
We stumbled on a Raven jumping from Kedama into Hirri. The fleet just jumped into Kedama and I called to chase the Raven and get point. We caught it in Pynekastoh. Despite gate guns and the Raven, we took it down without losses.

(12:40:30) Tama
Tristan +4.87m
Magus -100.69m
Exequror -26.66m
A Hecate and a Hyperion were at a medium plex in Tama. We tried catching the Hecate earlier too, but it was too fast and even escaped our boosh. For round two, we saw the Hyperion was on the same plex with that Hecate. We warped at 100km distance, anchored up and started orbiting at 7500km for points and webs (in hindsight, I should have orbited around 17,5km in this case, we didn't need webs for the Hyperion). Other ships started coming in (at this point, I should have known the Hyperion was bait, especially since the armour wasn't really dipping/breaking). We had an Orthrus, Osprey Navy Issue, Praxis, Dramiel, Scorpion and a Tristan amongst them. When a Thanatos landed, I decided to warp us out of the fight, despite knowing we would lose some ships.

(12:54:29) Pynekastoh
Thorax -44.27m
FC saw a Victorieux Luxury Yacht jumping into Hirri and thought it was blingy. A Deacon was already following us (we were trying to go to Ichoriya to reship and bio-break) which I thought nothing of. We jumped back in Hirri and an Algos/Thalia fleet landed on us. I directly called to burn back to the gate and jump into Pynekastoh. This is where the PC of the FC decided that it didn't need any more juice coming from the wall. I jumped into Mumble on my mobile phone to give a "free burn to Ichoriya" command while I was rebooting. FC lost his ship, luckily no one else did ^^.

After this, we took a bio-break and continued our journey in the direction of NullSec.

(13:29:41) Alamel
Stabber +31.79m
We caught a Stabber on a gate or a plex. Nothing special actually, the fleet did a good job and we continued.

(14:08:36) 0-YMBJ
Mobile Small Warp Disruptor I +0.89m
There was a bubble in a system we owned. We took it down. Pesky bubbles.

(14:14:49) UMI-KK, M-OEE8
Sabre -85.7m
Thorax -34.9m
Thorax -35.53m
Magus -100.67m
Exequror -28.58m
Thorax -36.98m
Exequror -37.67m
Capsule -0.01m
Capsule -0.01m
Capsule -0.03m
Capsule -0.01m
Capsule -12.99m
Capsule -0.01m
This is where we died in a big ball of fire to Trigger Happy. It was a bit earlier than planned, but I'll take it, especially since I needed a bio-break again. We might have been able to take down a Kikimora, but since the FC didn't have his overview sorted properly, I didn't even notice it. On grid were at least 2 Drekavacs, 1 Kikimora, 2 Gilas, 1 Osprey Navy Issue, 1 Ashimmu and a Slasher. Many took the pod express back home. \o/

Stats
ISK Destroyed: 316,352,686.69
ISK Lost: 544,702,391.13
ISK Delta: -228,349,704.44
Efficiency: 36.74%

Overall evaluation
  • (Positive stuff)
    - First self-made doctrine! \o/
    - We learned, had fun and did pew-pew. Mission accomplished!
    - Usage of boosh and boosts definitely improved in my thinking process, as well as giving Logi instructions

~~ (Meh... stuff)
    - Booster usage could have been better
    - Fleet suffered a bit from DCs. Unfortunate, but nothing we can do about that
    - Making your own doctrine takes more time than I expected. I should take that into account for coming fleets
    - Doctrine is definitely not fine-tuned. While it has good tanking capabilities, it lacks nano. I also had a hard time deciding between tackling or keeping range, especially since we didn't have a scout at the low-sec fights... Ah well, next doctrine will be full Nano Kite Stabbers ^^
    - Despite Rails having ~20km range, I keep orbiting at 7500 to get webs. While this can be beneficial at a gate (to prevent a target from approaching a gate), it's generally better to ignore that web initially and gain 20km or more distance.

(Negative stuff)
    - We might have been able to take out a Kikimora in UMI-KK if FC had it's overview properly set up
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Title: Manager (Fittings), Mentor, Lieutenant, Graduate, Management

Re: [AAR] 2020-03-02 Rail Armour Thorax / Exequror Low/NullSec

Post by Budda Sereda »

From my experience, hyperion is a bait in 99% of cases. If something just lands on grid you need to run away.

One more thing: not web, but you need to have a ceptor be ready to make a scram pass to shut his mjfg if he decides to run. Also, hyperion can take up to 2k dps do this ship should not be engaged in a fleet of 7 pilots, I'd say. Unless you really bored and going to wrap the fleet

Otherwise, looks like it was a good fleet, congrats!
Budda Sereda
Title: Manager (Fittings), Mentor, Lieutenant, Graduate, Management

Post by Budda Sereda »

From my experience, hyperion is a bait in 99% of cases. If something just lands on grid you need to run away.

One more thing: not web, but you need to have a ceptor be ready to make a scram pass to shut his mjfg if he decides to run. Also, hyperion can take up to 2k dps so this ship should not be engaged in a fleet of 7 pilots, I'd say. Unless you really bored and going to wrap the fleet

Otherwise, looks like it was a good fleet, congrats!
Vorkan Dosja

Post by Vorkan Dosja »

What's funny is when I popped out of my WH yesterday to scoot around nabbing relic/data sites in Null. I came across a gate with about a 10+ E-UNI drones left on it. I had to check the local kills to figure out it was this fleet that got popped. Given the fleet comp you went up against, these are also the same guys who chased me around null. They must've figured I was one of you straggling around, and probably couldn't figure out why they couldn't find me (cloaked Astero.)

Also, a Hyperion in Tama... if that's not bait, I will never know what bait is. Also, Hull Pen or whatever their name is like to upship and swarm with overwhelming force. It's gotten so bad, that I don't think fights in Tama outside 1v1's are worth it anymore. They just seem to always outnumber you and outship you.
Titles Trainer

ImageImageImageImage
Nienke Solette

Post by Nienke Solette »

Lol yeah, that was us ^^.
Tama is indeed known to me as Valhalla. I think it's time for me to keep fleets out of there and stay in the usual Caldari/Gallente FW space.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage